Novel by Irish author written in Rory's voice.

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Novel by Irish author written in Rory's voice.

Postby zanny » 12 Jul 2019, 19:39

zanny

Re: Novel by Irish author written in Rory's voice.

Postby RobertaSparrow » 16 Jul 2019, 19:53

I was curious, so I checked out the Amazon listings and reviews for the author's books. It's a curiosity. A fictionalized non fiction? But the book purported to be in Rory's voice is not yet published.

Excerpt from a short biography on the author by By Marjorie Brennan:

Brennab: He has been making the most of the industriousness that often follows sobriety, and tells me of [color=#0000BF]another intriguing project that he has been working on.

[He is referencing a future book that he is working on}

“I have written a book in the voice of Rory Gallagher ... though what right does a Kilkenny man have to write about Rory Gallagher. The same a white man has writing about Mexico, I suppose,” he says.“I have written a book in the voice of Rory Gallagher ... though what right does a Kilkenny man have to write about Rory Gallagher. The same a white man has writing about Mexico, I suppose,” he says.[/color]

The only book he currently has out is Call Him Mine

This book is a crime novel about an Irish journalist and his Mexican boyfriend. It is loosely based on the real murder of Mexican journalists that resided near the author's residence in Mexico City. The story is written in the first person by the Irish journalist character, and is about the murder of the character's boyfriend after the two stumble upon a murder scene and decide to investigate it as journalists, resulting in the savage murder of the protagonist's boyfriend.

from Sage Journals, re: the book Call Him Mine

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/1 ... 2017730969

"MacGabhann’s novel, which is being optioned by publishers at present, was recently completed while on the prestigious MA in creative writing at the University of East An-glia. It revolves around a foreign journalist, Andrew (alive), who is haunted by Carlos, a Mexican journalist (dead). Carlos is based on the photo-journalist Ruben Espinosa, who was murdered in Mexico City in 2015, where he was living having fled his home state of Veracruz for fear of his life. While MacGabhann didn’t meet Espinosa, he was shot a mere two blocks away from MacGab-hann’s house."

So, point of clarification- If you want to read Call Him Mine thinking this is the book which the author has written "in the voice of Rory Gallagher," it is not the one he currently has published. The book the author is referring to is yet to be completed and published.
RobertaSparrow

Re: Novel by Irish author written in Rory's voice.

Postby zanny » 17 Jul 2019, 00:11

Sorry, I thought this was clear in the final sentences of the article, to which I directed attention. But perhaps not sufficiently clear to other readers.
zanny

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM