Interview with Donal. New?

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Interview with Donal. New?

Postby zanny » 05 Apr 2019, 21:54

zanny

Re: Interview with Donal. New?

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Apr 2019, 15:06

[quote="zanny http://www.music-news.com/review/UK/136 ... -Gallagher [/quote]
Thanks a million Zanny great read :)

I like the part at the end, where Donal reckons that they'll be a "Rory Story Movie" coming soon :)
Rock On for Rory
Slainte Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby zanny » 07 Apr 2019, 06:57

I was pleased to read that Rory wasn't tempted to do a screen test for the role of Joey "the Lips" Fagan for the film The Commitments. (I've also read elsewhere that Alan Parker wanted Van Morrison for that role, but his meeting with Van did not go well.) Donal says in the interview that he was frustrated and angry at Rory's reaction after his meeting with Parker, and that he (Donal) was aware that Rory desperately needed to change his life at that stage. Well, while Rory did need to change his life, the character in the film that Donal politely refers to in the interview as the 'older gentleman' (Joey "the Lips" Fagan) was a sleezebag (e.g., he causes trouble by seducing the young girls in the band). While that would be no reason for an actor to turn down the role, I can see why a musician of Rory's calibre and integrity wouldn't go near it.
zanny

Postby Sid_Sidow » 08 Apr 2019, 00:14

Being in the States, I was more than a bit interested when he mentioned Rory's guitar at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Do we know - just the Strat? multiple guitars? Hopefully a nice display showcasing the man!
I need dates to plan another road trip! (later this month going to Devil's Crossroads, been listening to a lot of Robert Johnson lately)
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby Sid_Sidow » 11 Apr 2019, 01:28

Sid_Sidow wrote:Being in the States, I was more than a bit interested when he mentioned Rory's guitar at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Do we know - just the Strat? multiple guitars? Hopefully a nice display showcasing the man!
I need dates to plan another road trip! (later this month going to Devil's Crossroads, been listening to a lot of Robert Johnson lately)

Feedback from Rock and Roll Hall - do we push???

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out. Regarding your question about Rory Gallagher, it is really tough to say whether or not it will be exhibited as part of the Play it Loud exhibit which will be here at the museum from November 22, 2019 through September 13, 2020. We are still hard at work with the MET and private collectors and artists themselves to determine which items will be a part of the show in Cleveland. Play it Loud just opened in NYC on Monday and is an incredible exhibition and I highly recommend planning to check it out regardless, but if you want to know for sure about Rory’s guitar, unfortunately the best I can tell you is that that is still in the works and that you should check back closer to the opening at the Rock Hall. Thanks again and Long Live Rock!

Joseph Wickens | Curatorial Coordinator
Office:216-515-1997
Thanks!! ss

Sid_Sidow

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 May 2019, 21:23

zanny wrote:http://www.music-news.com/review/UK/13694/Interview/Donal-Gallagher

Thankyou for posting this article Zanny. I loved Donal's interview. There is a lot of new info here.

Caron Keating was a children's presenter in the UK in the 1980s. My brother and I really liked her. She then went on to present This Morning in Britain. I had no idea she adored Rory and had met him. :D She kept her cancer illness very private and it was a shock when she passed in 2004. Her mother Gloria Hunniford wrote two books about Caron' s cancer battle and how to heal after loss. I read both books, because at the time my schoolfriend had breast cancer and that left me devastated. I wanted to support her in 2008. My schoolfriend was too young to have this disease but she is fine now...thank god. I was saddened when Caron died but she seeked a lot of alternative and holistic treatments, which her mother wrote about. I support the Caron Keating Founation and these holistic treatments are helping patients, who are having conventional cancer treatment. They are called Caron Keating treating rooms and people afflicted by this disease can come and talk , receive information and support. I have looked at the latest research into cancer thoroughly and I have posted the info on my FB page.

Yes I saw the Gloria Hunniford interview with Rory on youtube and I hope they can find the Taste Ulster Hall film footage or any other unseen Rory footage. I look forward to the Rory movie as well.

Rory was a very well learned man and an avid book reader. :mrgreen: I did not know he was very close to his maternal grandmother.
I am still close to my late maternal grandmother too. All the creative work I do is in her memory.

I like the fact more centres are opening in Rory's memory, where future artists can record, play and compose music.

I wish these doctors who did this Rory could be brought to justice.

Thank you Donal, Daniel and everyone for all the hard work done in Rory's memory. Us fans are so grateful. :0).

Also any undiscovered Rory footage, music etc that are still out there, Rory will make sure we see then.

I really enjoyed this interview. Thanks again. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby zanny » 27 May 2019, 00:13

I recall Rory saying himself in an interview that he was close to his maternal grandmother; he said she was very superstitious and he felt he'd picked up some of that from her.
As is widely known, after Monica moved to Cork with her sons, Rory and Donal grew up living above their grandmother's pub (The Modern Bar) in MacCurtain Street. Rory was also close to his maternal uncles, John (who also ran the pub) and James (Jim) Roche. (Jim was a teacher, later principal at the Crawford Municipal Technical Institute. In the early 1970s he became the principal of the new Regional Technological College, Cork, in Bishopstown (later Cork Institute of Technology (CIT)).) Undoubtedly Rory's maternal uncles were important adult males in the life of a boy growing up with an absent father.
In an interview in 2018, Donal spoke of how close Rory was to Jim Roche. Donal also said that, early on, Jim Roche brought many country blues songs back from a trip to the US, and later Rory put the track "I'm Moving On' on the first Taste album as a tribute to Jim Roche.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland ... -1.3407213
Jim Roche is buried at St.Oliver's Cemetery, not far from Rory's and Monica's graves. In his 2018 book, Julian Vignoles says that in 1999 Monica took the unusual step of having Rory's remains moved to their present, more elevated site at St.Oliver's. I know first-hand that this date is one of the incorrect details in Vignoles' book. Someone I know who was close to the Roche family (and who last saw Rory at Jim Roche's funeral) told me in 1996 that Rory's grave had been moved (to its present site), and I saw this myself at that time.
zanny

Postby Sid_Sidow » 10 Oct 2019, 23:52

Any more comments/thoughts of a Rory display at Rock and Roll hall of Fame?!?!?!?
Thanks!! ss

Sid_Sidow

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM