New Biography: Rory Gallagher The Man Behind the Guitar

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Re: New Biography: Rory Gallagher The Man Behind the Guitar

Postby CiaSeattle » 01 Nov 2018, 08:14

I haven't read the book yet, but I did read the fairly lenghty preview on Google books. As always, most of the pages are not available, but there is enough to make me agree with Zanny. There are a lot of quotes from other books (McAvoy, Muise, etc.) and interviews Rory as well as Donal and others, had given over the years. I did notice that there was more detail about Rory's father than I'd read before. I'll still buy it, and it is good to know people are still writing about Rory more than 20 years after his passing.
CiaSeattle

Postby Triolian » 01 Nov 2018, 08:38

The book is on its way, should arrive Saturday or latest Monday. I don't expect to learn much new about the "man behind the guitar". Rory was very private and shy, I don't think anyone really knew him including his brother.
Triolian

Postby zanny » 04 Nov 2018, 10:42

zanny

Postby Faylool » 11 Nov 2018, 02:45

In the end though I was left depressed for a few days. It wasn’t a grand effort really. I do hope his brother does come out with a biography but I can understand if he does not. It actually is sad what came to be and I’m sure Rory hates that fact as much as his fans do. Not very much new...a little more about his dad was nice.
Faylool

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Nov 2018, 18:35

I haven't read this new Rory bio yet but I do know Barry "Sinnerboy" Barnes my buddy has read it. He thinks it's not a bad read and better than Gerry's, Marcus's & Jean-Noele's.
Still waiting for the definitive Rory bio from Donal like most fans hey?

Rock On for Rory
Slainte Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Nov 2018, 19:27

Jay Jay wrote:I haven't read this new Rory bio yet but I do know Barry "Sinnerboy" Barnes my buddy has read it. He thinks it's not a bad read and better than Gerry's, Marcus's & Jean-Noele's.
Still waiting for the definitive Rory bio from Donal like most fans hey?

Rock On for Rory
Slainte Jay Jay

I know, based on articles about the book, that Donal is not happy about it. I bought Riding Shotgun before I learned of Donal's great distress about that book. And after reading it, I fully understand. Don't think I'll buy this one. I may borrow it, though.

I, too, am waiting on Donal to finish his book. His insights and contributions to Rory's story are invaluable, and just imaging the photos and drawings he has that Rory did. I'd love to see just a catalog of Rory's personal record collection. Those things alone would add immensely to a new book.

If he needs someone to proofread or edit it, there are a wealth of qualified people who could help him with it. There are writers among the fan base who would kill to help out with a project like that, myself included.....

But anyway. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby monty » 12 Nov 2018, 20:46

I am about a third of the way and am enjoying it immensely so far
monty

Postby SUBY1974 » 15 Nov 2018, 14:48

Yes I bought the book and I will comment on it around Christmas and books on The Talented Mr Ripley ( book series Rory read). There is also the Marcus Connaughton bio on Rory too. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby M.felix » 15 Nov 2018, 20:39

Donal will not like the book, especially mentioning the problems with the alcohol of Rory's father and that led to the separation of his parents, in general I did not find a bad book you can read quietly and does not have great news.
  The ones I liked the most were the beginning of his career, especially the first Taste lineup, I think he could have put more of that Rory in the making.
The book was written by a fan so you can not demand a more factual view he could have come in contact with Gerry and Ted, instead of using old material and interview that are easily found on the internet.
It is not in my opinion a biography, he says there was a "relationship" between Rory and Catherine, saying that they were "close", not mentioning the fact that she had been pursuing him for years, according to Gerry, that Catherine's husband also is a musician and friend of Roland.
  A good read to all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M.felix

Postby M.felix » 15 Nov 2018, 20:44

Your somebody has some picture of Rory on Catherine's wedding day, they were close, please post.
M.felix

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM