Rory his voice and liver

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Rory his voice and liver

Postby Tom Jonas » 10 Mar 2018, 22:50

Good Evening!
This must be one of the last vety good live recordings he made!
You can clearly hear how the volume was tuned up, but thats great. I've been told by prlofessionals that when you loose the perffect voice you turn up the volume.

Why did he have this nasal tone in parts of his last recodings?
And you clearly hear the difference in the qualtiy in hia voice comparing 1977 and 1994.

OKey! Being a doctor I really want to know about trhe liver transplantation. WHY DID HIS LIVER FAIL?
That he died from a MRSA infection is hardly surprising. We screen all patients treated in the UK, many have these nasty bugs.

Tom Jonas

Re: Rory his voice and liver

Postby Jay Jay » 11 Mar 2018, 23:48

Tom Jonas wrote:OKey! Being a doctor I really want to know about the liver transplantation. WHY DID HIS LIVER FAIL?

Right Tom, as far as I've heard and Donal Gallagher (Rory's brother) has said this himself in a few interviews..

Rory's liver failed him in the first place. Due to his doctor's prescribing him for many years a cocktail of medication.. ie : Pills for his insomnia + pills for his fear of flying and in later years pills for his depression I believe. Plus in those days late 1980's I'm talking about now. Doctor's did not put such a health warning like they do these days. Not to drink alcohol with these drugs. Of which we know as Donal says Rory liked a whisky or brandy before concerts to calm his nerves somewhat.

Donal speaks in his interview of this cocktail of pills and drink as being the "devils brew".. Of which Donal realised in hindsight that Rory was taking privately altogether daily, to his own self detriment and destruction to his liver unfortunately :(
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Mar 2018, 23:37

He was taking prescription strength Paracetamol (acetaminophen or APAP) which I remember from the 70s and early 80s was touted as being "so safe, it won't even upset your stomach," and although now it is common knowledge that acetaminophen is toxic to the liver if overused, or taken at even modestly higher than therapeutic levels, or with any amount of alcohol, and that it can cause permanent and irreversible liver damage, it was not as widely reported back then. Rory was already a heavy drinker, but IMHO that was not enough alone to cause him so much damage at such a young age. Add paracetamol (acetaminophen) to the mix, and the tendency for people to see meds that are available OTC as inherently harmless, to believe that, well if it's otc, and even given to kids, how dangerous can it be? If one or two is good, than three or so, or taking them maybe more frequently than the label says can't cause harm, well, I'm not a doctor. But that is what I think caused all that damage. I don't think he realized how nasty that "harmless" analgesic really can be.

This topic has come up before, and these days most people are aware of this drug's dangers. But back then, the average person in the street, or hard workin' musician, may not have known it, because the makers of Tylenol and other pharma companies were not really keen on publicizing it.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/psychiatry/depression/2233
RobertaSparrow

Postby Sid_Sidow » 18 Mar 2018, 20:52

" Rory was already a heavy drinker"

I thought I read several places that -
"Yes, being an Irishman, he enjoyed his drink. But not to excess"
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby Faylool » 02 Apr 2018, 16:03

Personally, and ive read a LOT all over....I think the worst medical he got was steroid injections for inflammatory response pain and he needed his hands. Steroids makes it better as well as giving a lift and other feelings of well being but when your are going off them there is bad depression and everything seems worse. Now adays they know more and steroids are pretty much a last ditch effort for life saving in good schools. Tylenol already mentioned and sedatives. Liver failure causes insomnia so more sedatives. There were a couple times Rory made a physical comeback, loosing weight walking out at night for insomnia not drinking ......he was a strong man but in the end he was really in hell. I blame medical. It needs to be mentioned he tried. His choice to keep so much to himself was also something I blame. I’ve been in a different hell not for as long though and respect Rory so much for many reasons as do all his fans! Btw. How can a doctor not know about liver disease? Or you just meant his particular form of it I see...
Faylool

Postby Faylool » 03 Apr 2018, 09:29

I still haven’t found a substantiated remark that it was MRSA. I did find awhile ago that many people unknowingly carry CMV Cytomegalovirus and transplant recipients have been found to suffer the ramifications of it and can die from it because of lowered immune system. Back then I read another article that said Rory 1st got an emergency transplant with a not perfectly matching stuff until they could locate one with his rare blood type. One can only google rarest blood type and that would probably be his...I forget it but my dad had it. He always donated blood. I’m not sure if two transplants went down but sounds reasonable doesn’t it? Also steroids compromise immun system a lot too. If this all accurate I feel they really tried hard and I don’t think the transfer to different hospital was why he got an antibiotic resistant bug....so I must be kinder to the medical establishment. They have their problems though but hell, they have also saved many lives. I believe he was actually in the best hands in all that and it’s comforting.
Faylool

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM