John Wilson in Rory's solo career?

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

John Wilson in Rory's solo career?

Postby JimLED » 20 Oct 2017, 10:48

We all know that Rory played with four good drummers at his solo carier, but why there, in the list of drummers didn't find a place for John? Was there any talks or invites by Rory to involve John to his new band?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: John Wilson in Rory's solo career?

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Oct 2017, 11:15

No is the simple answer Jim!

On the contrary.. in the 1990's I believe John did try to get Rory to do a Taste reunion gig at the Harland & Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Which is a famous dockyard from where the Titanic ship was built and launched.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Oct 2017, 07:45

Given a bit more time, had Rory recovered, I bet he would have reconciled with John.

RobertaSparrow

Postby CiaSeattle » 27 Oct 2017, 16:10

Perhaps Rory and John would have reconciled had Rory lived, but I don't think they would ever have been in a band together. I saw in the Q & A with Donal and Daniel that Rory was considering a reunion show, but a one-off show like that is nothing like being in a band full time. It's rather like having dinner with your ex...perhaps pleasant for an evening but not something you want to pursue full time. Rory's comments in the Dan Muise book regarding John Wilson writing letters to him were pretty harsh "the very guy that stuck a knife in my back". Although I'm not sure when Rory made those comments, it's clear he was still pretty raw about the situation.
CiaSeattle

Postby RobertaSparrow » 31 Oct 2017, 08:35

CiaSeattle wrote:Perhaps Rory and John would have reconciled had Rory lived, but I don't think they would ever have been in a band together. I saw in the Q & A with Donal and Daniel that Rory was considering a reunion show, but a one-off show like that is nothing like being in a band full time. It's rather like having dinner with your ex...perhaps pleasant for an evening but not something you want to pursue full time. Rory's comments in the Dan Muise book regarding John Wilson writing letters to him were pretty harsh "the very guy that stuck a knife in my back". Although I'm not sure when Rory made those comments, it's clear he was still pretty raw about the situation.

I got to meet John Wilson at the festival in Ballyshannon. He is such a sweet man, and there is something about getting up there in years that makes one look back with a little more compassion and understanding. It was Taste's manager that was playing both sides against each other. I think Rory had every reason at the time to be angry, and hurt. Taste was a band that had a bright future, if they had had decent management. If they had, for example, banded together, dumped Kennedy, and perhaps signed on with a manager like Zepplen had. I think that, had Rory gotten well again, that at some point they would have had a long talk, and would have reconciled, to put aside the pain of the past.

The way this particular thread is worded is perfect- John Wilson may well have been in Rory's solo career as any musician Rory chose to play with, I am purely speculating here, but i think that if Rory was still with us, he'd be working and creating with an assortment of musicians, not necessarily have the same ones all the time as in years past, and John would be one of those drummers.
RobertaSparrow

Postby blues blooded » 19 Nov 2017, 20:51

Yes. It’s a shame how Taste ended so bitterly. Mind you I can’t complain about Rory’s next move!
blues blooded

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM