Rory never released a bad album

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Rory never released a bad album

Postby blues blooded » 08 Aug 2017, 20:48

As far as I'm concerned , Rory never released a solo album that was below par. Obviously some are stronger than others. It's interesting that Gerry McEvoy isn't too keen on Calling Card and there are a few songs on it that aren't my favourites, but overall I think it's a good album

The likes of Photo Finish, Blue Print , Against the Grain , Deuce and Tattoo goes without saying, but albums like Defender and Top Priority are also great and not to mention those terrific live albums


I am not a fan girl and if I don't like something I will will say it. However an almost 20 year solo career and not a duff album. Not bad eh?

Thank you Rory
User avatar
blues blooded
 
Posts: 108
Joined: 08 Oct 2011, 13:14
Location: Kent, England

Re: Rory never released a bad album

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Aug 2017, 22:51

blues blooded wrote:As far as I'm concerned , Rory never released a solo album that was below par. Obviously some are stronger than others. It's interesting that Gerry McEvoy isn't too keen on Calling Card and there are a few songs on it that aren't my favourites, but overall I think it's a good album
The likes of Photo Finish, Blue Print , Against the Grain , Deuce and Tattoo goes without saying, but albums like Defender and Top Priority are also great and not to mention those terrific live albums
I am not a fan girl and if I don't like something I will will say it. However an almost 20 year solo career and not a duff album. Not bad eh?

Thank you Rory


Agreed Blues blooded :) .. and may I add the 3 albums you did not mention.. Rory's 1st solo album "Rory Gallagher" ain't bad either with some great "love songs" like " I Fall Apart" and "For The Last Time" and acoustic tunes like "I'm Not Surprised" and " Just The Smile" ;) ... His last album "Fresh Evidence" has a great variety of songs of all types and styles of music also :) ... "Jinx" has it's highlights also with Signals, Big Guns, Double Vision and the lovely Easy Come Easy Go + Lonely Mile :)

Like you say Blues Blooded.. Rory never released a bad album in 14 RG solo albums :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Thank you Rory
User avatar
Jay Jay
 
Posts: 4602
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:03
Location: In Your Town

Re: Rory never released a bad album

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Aug 2017, 06:28

:mrgreen: Agreed. Then again, you're preaching to the choir. It is as you say, there are songs here and there that aren't my favorite, but there isn't an album of Rory's that I would give up. I love his music, his style. 8-)
User avatar
RobertaSparrow
 
Posts: 2727
Joined: 04 May 2012, 23:13
Location: Oregon

Re: Rory never released a bad album

Postby capo » 09 Aug 2017, 13:40

I agree. My only complaint is that Stage Stuck should have been a double album, and included more
blues orientated songs and his great mid gig Acoustic set. To me its too one dimensional ie, hard rock, when a Rory show was much more. Still a great album, first one I bought!
capo
 
Posts: 395
Joined: 15 Jun 2011, 17:37
Location: Glendale, Arizona USA

Re: Rory never released a bad album

Postby vasdis » 09 Aug 2017, 14:47

I was never that impressed with Meeting With The G -Man ,whether it was because i didn't know the band or the fact it sounded like it had been recorded in
somebody's bathroom with a portable cassette player i don't know (i am talking about the cd not the boxset with it in) Probably the worst of the cds in the set.
vasdis
 
Posts: 288
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: Rory never released a bad album

Postby capo » 09 Aug 2017, 15:59

I agree with vasdis about the quality of G-Man. I hope that they start up the G-Man series again and add a Brenden O'Neil era live set, the closest is the At Cork cd in the graphic novel box.
capo
 
Posts: 395
Joined: 15 Jun 2011, 17:37
Location: Glendale, Arizona USA

Re: Rory never released a bad album

Postby blues blooded » 09 Aug 2017, 20:20

capo wrote:I agree. My only complaint is that Stage Stuck should have been a double album, and included more
blues orientated songs and his great mid gig Acoustic set. To me its too one dimensional ie, hard rock, when a Rory show was much more. Still a great album, first one I bought!


I am a bit of a hard rock fan, so I do like Stage Struck. But that's what made Rory so great, a fusion of rock and blues
User avatar
blues blooded
 
Posts: 108
Joined: 08 Oct 2011, 13:14
Location: Kent, England

Re: Rory never released a bad album

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Aug 2017, 21:17

vasdis wrote:I was never that impressed with Meeting With The G -Man ,whether it was because i didn't know the band or the fact it sounded like it had been recorded in somebody's bathroom with a portable cassette player i don't know (i am talking about the cd not the boxset with it in) Probably the worst of the cds in the set.

This "Meeting with The G-Man" album does not count in my eyes as an album of the "14 Rory Gallagher solo albums" released himself while alive..
Donal released this some years after Rory's passing only because they hadn't got an album of Rory's last lineup with David Levy (bass) and Richard Newman (drums).. IMHO this is a poorly recorded album also.. The Disc 2 RG Live @ Montreux dvd recorded with David & Richard would have been a better option.
User avatar
Jay Jay
 
Posts: 4602
Joined: 07 Mar 2010, 16:03
Location: In Your Town

Re: Rory never released a bad album

Postby vasdis » 10 Aug 2017, 06:25

Jay Jay wrote:
vasdis wrote:I was never that impressed with Meeting With The G -Man ,whether it was because i didn't know the band or the fact it sounded like it had been recorded in somebody's bathroom with a portable cassette player i don't know (i am talking about the cd not the boxset with it in) Probably the worst of the cds in the set.

This "Meeting with The G-Man" album does not count in my eyes as an album of the "14 Rory Gallagher solo albums" released himself while alive..
Donal released this some years after Rory's passing only because they hadn't got an album of Rory's last lineup with David Levy (bass) and Richard Newman (drums).. IMHO this is a poorly recorded album also.. The Disc 2 RG Live @ Montreux dvd recorded with David & Richard would have been a better option.

I only bought it for collectivity ,just never seemed to fit in with all the other albums .Probably one of my favourite live RG albums has to be The Beat Club Sessions.
vasdis
 
Posts: 288
Joined: 22 Sep 2012, 07:23

Re: Rory never released a bad album

Postby SUBY1974 » 10 Aug 2017, 19:46

I love all his albums. Subrata.x :D ;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
SUBY1974
 
Posts: 1889
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:52

Next

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 2 guests