Taste "You Need Love" aka Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love"

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Re: Taste "You Need Love" aka Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Lo

Postby M.felix » 27 Jul 2017, 03:21

Jay Jay wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:Rory did a great deal to promote that original music, and IMHO he is woefully unrecognized here in the United States where the blues was born. He was the opposite of so many others, he tried his best to bring the original music to the light of day while still doing his own unique covers. I am more dismayed by the snubbing of Rory's music by blues purests in this country who never mention him.

M.felix wrote:3 I have nothing against your words about Rory;
4 I found the post unnecessary;
5 I have been a fan of Led since I was fourteen years old and I know his stories very well;

Cynthia thank you for your explanation of this "So necessary topic" and matter of moral fact.. Not just for young up and coming musicians but also..
Morality in general for all young folk growing up. The simple matter of "What is right and Wrong" Could not have put it better into words myself about this whole matter. Is it not in the 10 commandments. "Thou Shalt Not Steal ".. Even it you are an atheist there is a etiquette in musical circles. Not to step on other artists / performers shoes. I know I've been there ;)

This is linked reply to Cynthia and M.Felix..
Firstly Cynthia, Rory was given very much credit by one his inspirational Blues heroes " Muddy Waters " When he ask Rory and a few other well known mainly British artists to perform with him on his 1972 London Sessions album. Here look. Have you not got this on album / CD?

Secondly Monica (M. Felix).. It is ironic that Muddy Waters did the first recorded version of "You Need Love" written by Willie Dixon..
Muddy gave Willie Dixon the songwriting credits when it was first issue in early 60's I think. It took the law courts and almost 30 years.. as I've said to get Led Zeppelin to put Willie Dixon name onto their records now also. After selling millions & millions in the previous years. I wonder also why as LZ at the time were probably the biggest known band in the western world. Why Jimmy Page didn't get invited to play on Muddy's album???

It seems to me Monica you see LZ as one of your babies or children.. If you have had a real child or children in life.. Would you raise that child to steal??

PS. it's ironic also that you put John Bonham (LZ) pictured with Rory above :) Another one along with John Wilson as a drumming hero of mine :)
John Bonham was probably totally innocent of this situation of his name being put on the credits for the LZ version of this song

Willie Dixon wrote You Need Love for Muddy Waters, what the irony in that?
I found the comparison between Led and Rory childish and unnecessary, Rory does not need it, I have never seen Led as a child, you are confusing things and distorting my words. Only you and Roberta are worried about the plagiarisms of Led the rest of the World never cared; I like Rory's picture with John Bomhan if he was innocent of plagiarism, I do not think so.
  Nirvana was also accused of plagiarism and sued for violating misuse of trademark, in my opinion Kurt did not want to be sued again
M.felix

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Jul 2017, 05:10

"Willie Dixon wrote You Need Love for Muddy Waters, what the irony in that?
I found the comparison between Led and Rory childish and unnecessary, Rory does not need it, I have never seen Led as a child, you are confusing things and distorting my words. Only you and Roberta are worried about the plagiarisms of Led the rest of the World never cared; I like Rory's picture with John Bomhan if he was innocent of plagiarism, I do not think so.
Nirvana was also accused of plagiarism and sued for violating misuse of trademark, in my opinion Kurt did not want to be sued again
M.felix

----------------

Plagiarism is not always intentional. And it is sometimes unintentional, it sometimes happens on a subconscious level. Example, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards realized they had accidentally copied KD Lang's Constant Craving. I watched a T.V. interview where Keith said as they were listening to a playback of the recording at Mick's house, his daughter as she walked through the room started singing the lyrics to Constant Craving to their "new" song, Anybody Seen My Baby, Keith Richards kind of smiled as he said they didn't even make the connection until Mick's daughter sang KD Lang's lyrics and they realized they had heard her song and unwittingly copied it, and as soon as they realized it, they made it right:

In 1997 The Rolling Stones added a credit to k.d. lang on their song ‘Anybody Seen My Baby’ after Keith Richards’ daughter Angela informed her father that he may have unintentionally styled his song on the k.d. lang classic.

In his book ‘Life’ Keith Richards wrote, “My daughter Angela and her friend were at Redlands and I was playing the record and they start singing this totally different song over it. They were hearing K.D. Lang’s ‘Constant Craving.’ It was Angela and her friend that copped it.”

The Stones gave k.d. a co-credit to avoid a lawsuit. k.d. later said that she was “completely honored and flattered”.

link to :http://www.noise11.com/news/why-the-rolling-stones-gave-k-d-lang-a-songwriting-credit-20170216

Same with George Harrison"s My Sweet Lord and The Chiffons He's So Fine. George wasn't intentionally copying them, but it was one of his favorite tunes, and it resulted in a lawsuit which he lost. John Lennon was asked about it and he said the same, that George loved their music, didn't even realize that he had copied it.

I am not sure how this became a controversial subject. Is there something else going on here? PM me if you want.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 27 Jul 2017, 09:28

RobertaSparrow wrote:Plagiarism is not always intentional. And it is sometimes unintentional, it sometimes happens on a subconscious level.

Guys there is NO excuse for Led Zeppelin. plus no excuse in their cases.. As I said before here is the link AGAIN!!

ROBERT PLANT & JIMMY page OPENLY ADMIT to STEALING SONGS from other musical artists
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/0 ... -zeppelin/

They blatantly and openly admitted to stealing numerous songs and have payed $$$$$$$$$$$ back to the rightful composers for these WRONG DOINGS..

I suggest Monica (M. Felix) that you are in complete denial of these offences by Led Zepp..

Whereas LED ZEPPELIN came out eventually with HONESTY & THE TRUTH.... Which helped their place in musical history to stand somewhat in time..

AS ONE of THE GREAT ROCK BANDS Of All Times :) :) :) :)
Jay Jay

Postby M.felix » 27 Jul 2017, 23:47

The idea of the post was yours !!!! The only thing I did was disagree with the comparison between Led and Rory! I'm against that kind of derogatory comparison you made between them I do not see the need for that !! Like I said and I'll repeat until you understand: RORY DOES NEED THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And stop distorting my words !!!!!.
And once again I know very well the story of the Led and mainly the plot of plagiarism, of the processes and the last one moved by the lawyer of Randy California.
Here is a forum about RORY GALLAGHER and not about Led and their plagiarism if the Stones credited K.D. Lang, if George Harrison lost the case against him; If you want to compliment Rory I do this without appealing to other artists and their processes.
I hope I was very clear this time!

PS: I never defended the band about plagiarism, just as I will never defend any artist who makes use of plagiarism being intentional or not!
M.felix

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Jul 2017, 10:00

M.felix wrote:RORY DOES NEED THIS !!!!! And stop distorting my words !!!!!
M.felix wrote:PS: I never defended the band about plagiarism, just as I will never defend any artist who makes use of plagiarism being intentional or not!

Jay Jay wrote:ROBERT PLANT & JIMMY page OPENLY ADMIT to STEALING SONGS from other musical artists
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/0 ... -zeppelin/
They blatantly and openly admitted to stealing numerous songs and have payed $$$$$$$$$$$ back to the rightful composers for these WRONG DOINGS..
I suggest Monica (M. Felix) that you are in complete denial of these offences by Led Zepp..
Whereas LED ZEPPELIN came out eventually with HONESTY & THE TRUTH.... Which helped their place in musical history to stand somewhat in time..
AS ONE of THE GREAT ROCK BANDS Of All Times

Monica, I'm not distorting your words at all! In fact on the contrary you keep changing yours by changing your tack by using this excuse of plagiarism for LZ now! Are my words derogatory about Led Zeppelin above ?? Not at all they are full of respect for being honest and admitting their dishonestly in the end

RORY DOES NEED THIS COMPARISONS IMHO.. to other great music artists that have made their mark to the big time & big bucks by deception ..
Rory ALWAYS kept his honesty & integrity and was never given credit enough in his time as he should have done!
I always say to Rory fans / non Rory fans. Although in the commercial music world Rory is vastly not known to the majority of music fans. In maybe 100 years time Taste & Rory Gallagher will be rated up there by most music fans & music historians. With the likes of The Beatles or Led Zeppelin in that time. I speak to lots of " NEVER HEARD of RORY GALLAGHER Music fans " plus new Rory fans at the Rory fest and make this other comparison. That is to the great artist Vincent Van Gogh..Vincent in his day supposedly never sold a painting or hardly any?? 100 years later they sell for millions and he is rated as one of the greatest artist in the world now. Vincent as like Rory always worked hard at his crafts and skill and kept true to his own unique style, with honesty and integrity without compromising to the masses towards any commercial system ;)

I know Rory has a bit of a start on Vincent as he did sell around 25 to 30 million albums while he was in this world :)

I'm not mad with you Monica as Rory says here in "his song" :lol: ...
but please stop being in denial about Led Zeppelin "INTENTIONALLY STEALING " from other musical artists and just..

Jay Jay

Postby M.felix » 28 Jul 2017, 12:34

Van Gogh had mental problems, was hospitalized for a hospice and committed suicide.

It's a great comparison!
M.felix

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Jul 2017, 20:42

M.felix wrote:Van Gogh had mental problems, was hospitalized for a hospice and committed suicide.

It's a great comparison!

Are you being sarcastic here Monica?

If so or not... I didn't realise both Rory and Vincent had tragic ends to their lives also :( :(
Jay Jay

Postby Shin Kicker » 30 Jul 2017, 23:24

Jay Jay wrote:I'm just questioning their integrity and comparing Led Zeppelin's to Rory's and Taste's.. As we all know now...
THAT THEY DID STEAL this SONG " YOU NEED LOVE " and the copyrights from Willie Dixon and LZ were I believe found guilty of this in the courts.

The short answer is: "no, that is not true". They gave credit when covering songs and they were not found guilty of anything in that case since they settled out of court.

The long answer is : "it's complicated". When covering blues standards, Led Zep gave full credit to the original song writer, just like other blues artists at the time, like Rory Gallagher, did. Two of the songs on their first album were fully credited to Willie Dixon. The complication came when they used snippets of ideas from previous songs. It was common at the time to borrow ideas like that without giving credit. You'll find bits of Elmore James and Bo Diddley in many songs by many artists in that era. It was a gray area, but it was part of the blues tradition to recycle ideas in that way. Rory tended to avoid that gray area so it wasn't really an issue for him, but that was likely a stylistic choice, not a matter of anyone having more or less integrity.
Shin Kicker

Postby Jay Jay » 31 Jul 2017, 08:17

Shin Kicker wrote:Two of the songs on their first album were fully credited to Willie Dixon.

Hi Shin Kicker,
Appreciate your post very well put indeed towards Led Zepp's defence..
and yes you are correct in saying they "were not" found guilty in the courts. Settling outside court with Willie Dixon with lots of $$$$$$$

As you say two of the songs were credited to Willie Dixon on their first album. So why did they stop crediting WD after the first album??
This topic is titled about this one song "You Need Love" Where is the credit here to WD after selling millions of not just the album LZ 2 but also millions of the single?? You can only see the names members of LZ on these singles????

Whole Lotta Love ~ Single.jpg

Whole Lotta Love.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby Shin Kicker » 31 Jul 2017, 13:45

Jay Jay wrote:As you say two of the songs were credited to Willie Dixon on their first album. So why did they stop crediting WD after the first album??

Because they didn't cover any Willie Dixon songs after the first album.

If they had covered any songs after the first album, they would have fully credited the original author of the song. Like I said, they did reference small bits of older songs after the first album, like other people where doing at the time without credits. I'm just pointing out that it's not right to attribute this to a lack of integrity. It was simply new legal territory. The reason Led Zep was pursued over this was simply because they made a lot of money, not because they were unusual in their credit practices.
Shin Kicker

PreviousNext

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES