Taste "You Need Love" aka Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love"

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Taste "You Need Love" aka Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love"

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Jul 2017, 22:01

Taste below do a cover here of Willie Dixon's song " You Need Love " aka Led Zeppelin's " Whole Lotta Love "

Unlike Led Zep who nicked this song composed by Willie Dixon..
Rory always gave credit on stage when performing other artists / musicians songs. Also the musicians he played alongside in his Taste days and Rory Gallagher Band days. By announcing their names. Here is another example of the humility of the great man. Wouldn't you agree John Wilson?

Taste Following.jpg

This was John's answer just the other day when I put it to him on Facebook..
John Wilson.. "I must say that Rory always gave me credit, and he was at all times a true gentleman, and always very modest about his immense talent. It was a great privilege for me to have been able to make wonderful music with him and Richie"

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: Taste "You Need Love" aka Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Lo

Postby M.felix » 21 Jul 2017, 04:25

http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/news/2012/09/jimmy_page_tribute_to_rory

Post completely unnecessary, glad that Rory is not alive to read it!
I thought it was forbidden to attack the artist here.
Have you contacted Gerry to hear his opinion?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
M.felix

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Jul 2017, 08:30

NO NO NO NO NO M.Felix!!!!

I'm not attacking Led Zeppelin as artists or their music.. I've always loved "Whole Lotta Love" by them and many other songs they put out..

I'm just questioning their integrity and comparing Led Zeppelin's to Rory's and Taste's.. As we all know now...
THAT THEY DID STEAL this SONG " YOU NEED LOVE " and the copyrights from Willie Dixon and LZ were I believe found guilty of this in the courts.

So John Wilson's comments about Rory are unnecessary also?
On the contrary to what you say M.Felix..I'M SURE RORY would appreciate these comments on here for him :)

# It's been a long time since I rocked and rolled # ;) ..
I don't think LZ nicked this great rockin' song did they?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwFqRB2FQu4
Jay Jay

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Jul 2017, 08:54

Here look Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin) openly admit to stealing music
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/0 ... -zeppelin/
Whereas look Rory gives credit to the composer / songwriters below

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour 74
1. Cradle Rock (Gallagher)
2. I Wonder Who (Morganfield)
3. Tattoo'd Lady (Gallagher)
4. Too Much Alcohol (Hutto)
5. As The Crow Flies) (White)

Led Zeppelin - 2
1. Whole Lotta Love (Page/Plant/Jones/Bonham)

Similarities with "You Need Love" led to a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin in 1985, settled out of court in favour of Dixon for an undisclosed amount.[8] On subsequent releases, Dixon's name is included on the credits for "Whole Lotta Love".
Jay Jay

Postby vasdis » 21 Jul 2017, 09:54

Don't forget that Zepp started out as the New Yardbirds to fulfil outstanding Yardbirds engagements .The Yardbirds actually performed with some of the blues greats .
The name was thought of by the late Keith Moon of The Who,after hearing a sound check and saying "that will go down like a lead balloon " changed to Lead Zeppelin
the "a" was removed to avoid confusing our U.S. cousins who always say things wrong.Sorry if this is a bit off topic.
vasdis

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Jul 2017, 21:54

M.felix wrote:http://www.rorygallagher.com/#/news/2012/09/jimmy_page_tribute_to_rory

Post completely unnecessary, glad that Rory is not alive to read it!
I thought it was forbidden to attack the artist here.
Have you contacted Gerry to hear his opinion?

I'm going to add my two cents here. I do not believe it is attacking other artists to point this out. Zep has a sad reputation for doing just that. I have purchased many of their albums and had also seen them in concert, but it is a known fact, almost to the point of humor to point out, that they generously borrow from many artists without crediting and without paying for the privilege, unless a court orders them to do so.

' Rory was an honorable person, and always gave credit where credit was due, especially to the original roots artists, who to this very day do not get the credit which is their due, not to mention royalties. In fact, Zep generously "borrowed" many other works which they did not write, yet claimed credit for, and when they did have to pay up it was generally after they were dragged kicking and screaming, metaphorically speaking, to court. At the very least it is cultural misappropriation. I like listening to Zep, like much of their arrangements of this original roots music, but they took the creations of others, usually older, poor or deceased artists, did not pay royalties to the original artists or their estates, and unashamedly claimed ownership for them. And, if any other artists covered anything resembling a Zep song, they wasted no time protecting their own rights. I like Jimmy's playing, but I never understood why such a talented band felt the need to claim others' work for their own, and it is one of the reasons why Rory is to this day so well respected. Wasn't it enough for Zep that they very successfully reworked those songs to new versions?

There are too many examples to list, but just off the top, Whole Lotta Love, Bring It On Home, The Lemon Song, When The Levee Breaks, In My Time of Dying, Baby I Can't Quit You, etc. And it wasn't just African Americans that they unabashedly stole from, here is a more extensive list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Led_Zeppelin_songs_written_or_inspired_by_others

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/songs-on-trial-10-landmark-music-copyright-cases-20160608/led-zeppelin-vs-willie-dixon-1972-20160608

Rory went out of his way to not only credit the original artists, but he often would extol the works of these original musicians and encourage his audience in interviews and sometimes from the stage, to check those old recordings out.

Rory did a great deal to promote that original music, and IMHO he is woefully unrecognized here in the United States where the blues was born. He was the opposite of so many others, he tried his best to bring the original music to the light of day while still doing his own unique covers. I am more dismayed by the snubbing of Rory's music by blues purests in this country who never mention him.

Side note: I bought the new Rory T-shirt at Ballyshannon this year, and made a point of wearing it to the Portland Waterfront Blues Festival a month later, and several people recognized him. Got a high five from a man who saw him in the early days. I had to smile at that.

Post Script- I had the honor of meeting John Wilson at Ballyshannon, and he was such a sweet gentleman. I told him how much I enjoyed hearing and seeing Taste recordings and videos still to this day. I wish him all the best.
RobertaSparrow

Postby M.felix » 23 Jul 2017, 03:34

1 I was not referring to the words of John Wilson;

2 From John Wilson I would love to hear your thoughts on music, the process of creation, how they created the songs in Taste's time, what it was like to play in Ireland in the 60's;

3 I have nothing against your words about Rory;

4 I found the post unnecessary;

5 I have been a fan of Led since I was fourteen years old and I know his stories very well;

6 I've been a fan of Rory since I was eighteen and I do not think he needs that kind of comparison, his trajectory is enough proof of his character and for me it's enough;

7 Led and Rory are giants who have walked on the earth;

8 I still find the post unnecessary.
M.felix

Postby AnnaMaria » 23 Jul 2017, 08:37

Sorry about my off topic question but did Wilson and Rory ever become "friends" again?

In Dan Muises book Rory is supposed to have said "Now the Taste drummer is writing me letters apologizing!....And now he wants to work with me again. The very guy that stuck a knife in my back, ya know! What can you do, huh?"

I just got the feeling that Rory was like "once bitten twice as shy" with people who he felt had done him wrong. But I might be totally wrong here.
AnnaMaria

Postby Jay Jay » 23 Jul 2017, 14:22

RobertaSparrow wrote:Rory did a great deal to promote that original music, and IMHO he is woefully unrecognized here in the United States where the blues was born. He was the opposite of so many others, he tried his best to bring the original music to the light of day while still doing his own unique covers. I am more dismayed by the snubbing of Rory's music by blues purests in this country who never mention him.

M.felix wrote:3 I have nothing against your words about Rory;
4 I found the post unnecessary;
5 I have been a fan of Led since I was fourteen years old and I know his stories very well;

Cynthia thank you for your explanation of this "So necessary topic" and matter of moral fact.. Not just for young up and coming musicians but also..
Morality in general for all young folk growing up. The simple matter of "What is right and Wrong" Could not have put it better into words myself about this whole matter. Is it not in the 10 commandments. "Thou Shalt Not Steal ".. Even it you are an atheist there is a etiquette in musical circles. Not to step on other artists / performers shoes. I know I've been there ;)

This is linked reply to Cynthia and M.Felix..
Firstly Cynthia, Rory was given very much credit by one his inspirational Blues heroes " Muddy Waters " When he ask Rory and a few other well known mainly British artists to perform with him on his 1972 London Sessions album. Here look. Have you not got this on album / CD?

Secondly Monica (M. Felix).. It is ironic that Muddy Waters did the first recorded version of "You Need Love" written by Willie Dixon..
Muddy gave Willie Dixon the songwriting credits when it was first issue in early 60's I think. It took the law courts and almost 30 years.. as I've said to get Led Zeppelin to put Willie Dixon name onto their records now also. After selling millions & millions in the previous years. I wonder also why as LZ at the time were probably the biggest known band in the western world. Why Jimmy Page didn't get invited to play on Muddy's album???

It seems to me Monica you see LZ as one of your babies or children.. If you have had a real child or children in life.. Would you raise that child to steal??

PS. it's ironic also that you put John Bonham (LZ) pictured with Rory above :) Another one along with John Wilson as a drumming hero of mine :)
John Bonham was probably totally innocent of this situation of his name being put on the credits for the LZ version of this song
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 Jul 2017, 19:52

Don't know how relevant this post is, but I want to clarify something. My motive for my original response to the thread is mainly inspired by two things: My passion for the original music and the artists that first breathed life into it- and that is the impoverished, under-recognized, and uncompensated African Americans and others who are to this very day still having their catalogs mined by modern musicians for their work, and my immense love and respect for Rory Gallagher- a brilliant artist who took that music and reinterpreted it from his heart and soul.

One thing that Rory and I have in common is a love for the original roots music that much of Rory's inspiration came from. My mother and grandmother loved that music, and I grew up hearing it as well as the earliest rock 'n roll and r&b before I was even old enough for kindergarten. I first heard Taste in unauthorized recordings and the like on the so-called "underground" radio stations when I was barely a teenager. Music has a way of touching us down to the very core of our memories, to trigger emotions and flashes of the past like nothing else can, and when I heard Taste, I heard that music anew and immediately connected it with its roots source. This was during the "British Invasion," where everyone from The Beatles to the Animals to the Kinks were flooding the airwaves with this new, not new music. Some artists, most artists gladly and gratefully credited those original musicians. The Beatles and the Stones were two that come to mind. But Rory stands out and apart even from them in that field. He was like an uncompensated ambassador for those original artists, took their music to heart and spread it to every place in the world that he visited, that his music would reach. In some ways he over credited it as in the case of Could Have Had Religion. He attributed it to the artists, did not really claim it as his own, but IMHO that particular piece is 95% Rory's music and 75% Rory's words and arrangements. (That is a bit of a controversy of sorts of its own, but it is the subject of and for another thread)

Of late I have been working on my house, preparing it for the long winter ahead, and the music I have been streaming while doing this work comes from a channel on Pandora called "Son House." Pandora uses an algorithm based on the music of a chosen musician or musicians and pulls from a huge database, so I listen to all my old favorites. And in that wonderful mix of old, saved just in the nick of time recordings, are gems that are still being "discovered" and reworked by modern musicians- Nirvana covered Ledbelly among others, the White Stripes did Son House, Gary Clark Jr. did Catfish Blues and the origins of that one go so far into the past that no one knows for certain who originally wrote it , The Black Keys , oh, so many, and all of them give the nod and shout out to the originals, and it is still happening, that's a wonderful thing.

This is Catfish done by Taste- not the best quality recording, but Rory is on fire here,

Okay, back to my original post. My focus is in giving credit where credit is due. Rory never hesitated to give credit, went out of his way to do so, even when he didn't have to, and I admire that. That in my eyes is one of those things about Rory that makes him a hero.

The band Led Zeppelin was not the only one to put forth music from these treasure troves of earlier music, not the only ones to dodge paying royalties and giving recognition, but they were one of the more outlandish ones. Zep was a very talented group of artists, and they would have been successful whether or not they credited the originals, they would still be wealthy even if they paid royalties to some of those older artists or their estates. Many of those original artists were living, some died, in abject poverty in their later years, some even heard their own music reworked into the hugely successful rock music of the '60s. I can only imagine how that must have felt.

Seems obvious to me, but when people hear the Animals, House of the Rising Sun, do they think of Leadbelly?

Leadbelly on guitar, his lady is singing these earlier lyrics

Nirvana did their part to credit- apologies for the use of colorful metaphors in Kurt's intro. Minors plug your ears for the first few seconds- But after that, Kurt credits Leadbelly and complements him. Nirvana was at their peak when he did this. He didn't have to, but in so doing, he did as Rory generations before- reintroduced this music to kids who likely had never heard it.

Where Did You Sleep Last Night

Leadbelly doing his original version. Note how Kurt copied the walk up on the guitar the same as Leadbelly does, and even added the "shiver for me, girl."

Now, I am not criticizing or singling out any members of our forum here, and I encourage any comments or points of view within the scope of the forum policies. I was merely going on at length as I often do (some may say ad nauseum ;) ) about respect for the founders of this music which we all love. I presume. Otherwise, we wouldn't be here.
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES