More RG LIVE releases?

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

More RG LIVE releases?

Postby weezerdude » 21 Mar 2017, 19:14

I just felt the need to post this here as I am wondering if anyone knows about any plans to open the archives/release live material etc.
As far as official releases go we have been given only a few complete shows - NFSF & The Irish tour shows. Only for Rory played Rockpalast/Montreux, shows which were recorded/broadcast anyway we would have very few live releases.
The Beat Club sessions are again taken from TV performances which were available prior to release. The BBC sessions were mostly available from bootlegs. Stage struck/Live In Europe are exceptional albums which have not been followed up on at all - why not deluxe editions of both with more and more songs. Instead of re-releasing/remastering his albums over and over again why not release some new material? No doubt hundreds of shows were recorded by Rory/Dónal and are in the archives (unless they have been lost). The Taste box set I'll remember was just another release with mostly rehashed material why not do like the Isle of Wight release and give us a full Taste show? NFSF went to the top of the sales charts here in Ireland when it was released so sales are surely not an issue. Apologies if this comes across as a "rant" but I just feel that it is criminal for (in my opinion) the greatest live performer of all time to have so few live releases I could list several shows which most collectors would kill to have - Belfast 84 gig(s), any 78 shows with the second lineup, US tour 74, punchestown 82, macroom 77/78, Lisdoonvarna 1983, Boston 1976, the central park show 1974... the list goes on and on. Even if shows were only released digitally I'm sure people would jump on them.
What are your thoughts on the matter, surely the time has come to open the archives and share Rory's gifts with us all?
weezerdude

Re: More live releases?

Postby capo » 22 Mar 2017, 17:35

I agree with you weezerdude. You could have releases of just Rory's tours of Japan for instance, or "Best of" selections of his last few tours of the USA. I wish Donal and family would consider starting up the G-Man "official" bootleg series again, with limited releases, like the Hendrix estate does with their "Dagger Records" bootleg releases. Just a thought. Peace.
capo

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Mar 2017, 17:57

I agree. Rory had a 32 year music career. There must be more never before seen or heard live recordings and footage out there. He also travelled extensively and did many, many recordings and concerts. Hopefully Rory if you are reading this, then you can guide Daniel and Donal + Rory Gallagher Towers to find them. I for one would love to see new Rory material. Subrata. x
SUBY1974

Postby Shin Kicker » 05 Apr 2017, 20:46

weezerdude wrote:No doubt hundreds of shows were recorded by Rory/Dónal and are in the archives

I wonder if that 's true. It wasn't as common in the '70s and '80s as it is today to grab a high quality recording from the board during a show.
Shin Kicker

Postby willie the pimp » 06 Apr 2017, 01:50

This would be a good question to ask Donal at Ballyshannon on Thursday at the Rockpalast night.
willie the pimp

Postby weezerdude » 10 Apr 2017, 16:51

Shin Kicker wrote:
weezerdude wrote:No doubt hundreds of shows were recorded by Rory/Dónal and are in the archives

I wonder if that 's true. It wasn't as common in the '70s and '80s as it is today to grab a high quality recording from the board during a show.

Perhaps not, but definitely shows were recorded for the Stagestruck LP, we still don't have the complete shadow play from that album, we could definitely do with some early 80s or even a live album from the 90s, meeting with the G-man shouldn't be the only live CD officially released for the 90s. :(
weezerdude

Re: More RG LIVE releases?

Postby M.felix » 15 Apr 2017, 00:07

M.felix

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES