Why didn't Rory go back home to live in Ireland

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Why didn't Rory go back home to live in Ireland

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Dec 2016, 11:34

Rory fans all know that Rory in his early life and musical career was fighting against the grain with the establishment in the south of Ireland.
As so well put here in Gavin Martin article " Messin' With The Kid - What Made Rory Gallagher One Of A Kind "
http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-10-24/ ... f-a-nation
"Despite his sad end, haunted by illness, personal demons and exile longing, Gallagher’s great, lasting gift to the land that bred him was to smash through the borders that tied Ireland to a ruinous past. And 20 years on, the president’s words were well-aimed – Gallagher’s homeland still owes him a huge debt".

Just reading the last few lines here. Makes me wonder why on earth, in the late 80's when Rory wasn't doing very well really in his career and his health. Especially when Gerry and Brendan left his band. Was there any need for him to form another electric band?? Plus Ireland had reformed by then and realized Rory's international success throughout the world that he had achieved.
Why didn't Rory return from exile and go back to live in comfort in Cork with his mother? Just performing the occasional electric but mainly acoustic gigs??
There was no need IMHO for Rory to try and do it all again like in the 70's touring relentlessly. Rory had nothing to prove to anyone..
As Rory Gallagher's legacy has shown now in Ireland's musical history
Rory Acoustic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: Why didn't Rory go back home to live in Ireland

Postby folkdeejay » 12 Dec 2016, 13:29

There is a lot we will probably never know... not the personal stuff (its personal!) but some of the strange career decisions that Rorty and Donal made...

The reluctance to release singles.
A lack of higher profile festival dates in the UK (eg Cambridge booked only once, and sadly pulled due to illness in 1990), living in a hotel despite owning at least one property (can't have been cheap!).
Not playing at The last Waltz gig when offered and when already nearby (!?!?!)
Relatively few collaborations over 25 yrs.
No 'big' support slots in the UK. Rory played superb mid-level venues as a headliner... fine, but why not any larger stages as support to some of the bands who clearly liked him, and even supported him on the ay up (Queen & U2 spring to mind)

Genial and quiet as he was, it seems Rory was also very stubborn and not one to take (good) advice.
folkdeejay

Postby capo » 12 Dec 2016, 14:40

Do you really think, Rory Gallagher, with performing in front of audiences a large part of his 'raison d'etre', would go home to Cork and retire in his 40's? I think not. Rory, time and again, spoke of his admiration of those old Blues musicians, still performing in their 80's. It was part of body and soul. Hindsight is always easy, but people have to live out their lives as they see fit. Fate is a wicked and cruel thing at times. If Rory, in hospital, had not caught that infection, I think he would have turned things around, and would still be with us today, rocking out. It is a great question Jay Jay, I just think in was not in Rory's nature to pack it in at that age. Peace.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Dec 2016, 18:31

capo wrote:I think he would have turned things around, and would still be with us today, rocking out. It is a great question Jay Jay, I just think in was not in Rory's nature to pack it in at that age. Peace.

Jay Jay wrote:There was no need IMHO for Rory to try and do it all again like in the 70's touring relentlessly. Rory had nothing to prove to anyone..

Hi Capo and Folkdeejay,

Seems you missed the point of my question. I didn't say Rory should pack in playing at all. I know that was totally out of the question for him to do.
Rory said in an interview in the early 80's. He wanted to go on playing into his 60's. Sighting his rock n' blues heroes like Chuck Berry. He even mentioned the Rolling Stones then years ago. Who'd have thought they would still be rockin' it out now. The difference is these guys never toured SO extensively as Rory ever did. 'Cause they never needed to.. probably due to commercial sales of singles, albums merc etc etc.

Rory was and did IMHO burn himself out in the last 5 years of his life. When there was no need. 1992 was a warning on tour at the London Town & Country.. His final year 94 into 95 he was touring extensively with ill health all over Europe? Why when he could have been just touring Ireland at his own leisure as like notable Irish artist ie. Christy Moore.

As he said though in one of his last interviews in the Conrad Hotel.. "I want to do one more great album " For the Fans "..
I'm only saying "Why didn't Rory go back to live in Ireland " 'cause I'm sure it would have been for the better. His mother would have looked after him. She always did with he and Donal. as when they were usually back home for every Christmas time. Plus that's where Rory did his most creative composing also and we may have got a few more RG albums in our collection today.
As I've said before to other people not just Rory fans. As a person, Rory did more in his fairly short life, than most normal folk could do in 10 life times.
Yet we could have had more if Rory would have just took his foot of the gas a little. Instead of trying to stay in top gear flat out all of the time!

Take it easy Rory.. that's all I wanted you to do..

Or something bad might happen to you :(
Jay Jay

Postby capo » 12 Dec 2016, 18:47

I see your point more clearly now Jay Jay, and your right. It might have been just the thing for him to chill out at home, with the influence of his mother, getting his body and soul back in a good, healthy place. Alas, it was not to be.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Dec 2016, 18:58

capo wrote:I see your point more clearly now Jay Jay, and your right. It might have been just the thing for him to chill out at home, with the influence of his mother, getting his body and soul back in a good, healthy place. Alas, it was not to be.

Exactly Capo..

As with the Rory song above and Rory's short Christmas message here now on this RORY's "Loose Talk" Forum ..
"I hope you all have a nice Christmas and good New Year.. Don't drink too much and Take It easy "

Rory just could not hold back and he lived to perform for his fans.. sadly to his own demise :(

Rock On for Rory
Seasons Greetings
Slainte Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby AnnaMaria » 12 Dec 2016, 19:08

I read in an interview that he said something like "I could move back to Dublin if I can get my things together" and I think he said "I still have A friend there". That was a late interview so maybe he was too exhausted to move. And did he only has one friend in Dublin?
AnnaMaria

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Dec 2016, 19:20

AnnaMaria wrote:I read in an interview that he said something like "I could move back to Dublin if I can get my things together" and I think he said "I still have A friend there". That was a late interview so maybe he was too exhausted to move. And did he only have one friend in Dublin?

Rory had many many friends all over Ireland and Rory too exhausted to move??

Jay Jay wrote:His final year 94 into 95 he was touring extensively with ill health all over Europe? Why when he could have been just touring Ireland at his own leisure as like notable Irish artist ie Christy Moore.

Too exhausted to move to Ireland.. when he was moving from hotel to hotel all around europe in his final year?

6/30/1994 Rubigen/Bern CH Mühle Hunziken
7/1/1994 Wien A
7/2/1994 Pistoia I Blues Festival
7/12/1994 Montreux CH Auditorium Stravinski Jazz Festival
8/1/1994 Saarbrücken D German TV Extraspät
8/6/1994 Langenau D TSV-Sportanlage Nau-Rock Open Air
8/7/1994 Hamburg D Freilichtbühne Stadtpark
8/9/1994 Lorient F Festival Interceltique
8/11/1994 Köln D E-Werk
8/12/1994 Düsseldorf D Airport Flight to Switzerland
8/13/1994 Thun CH Open Air Festival Schadua Park
8/14/1994 Colmar F Foire aux Vins
8/20/1994 Geel B Geelhouse-Rock Festival
8/21/1994 Stuttgart D Reitstadion SDR-3 Festival
9/1/1994 Rhyl GB Hotel Marina
9/17/1994 Leeds GB Town and Country Club
10/16/1994 Paris F L`Olympia
10/21/1994 Nancy F Le Zenith
10/22/1994 Toulouse F Confluent
10/23/1994 Marseille F Theatre de Moulin
10/25/1994 Lille F Aeronef
11/29/1994 Brüssel B La Luna
12/1/1994 Reims F L`Usine
12/3/1994 Konz D Saar-Mosel Halle
12/4/1994 Nürnberg D Löwensaal
12/5/1994 Berlin D Huxley`s Neue Welt
12/7/1994 Leipzig D Haus Auensee
12/8/1994 Erfurt D Kulturzentrum
12/9/1994 München D Terminal 1
12/11/1994 Ris-Orangis F Le Plan
12/12/1994 Talence F
12/13/1994 Bordeaux-Talence F Espace Medoquine
12/15/1994 Rouen F Exo 7
12/16/1994 Angers F La Chabada
12/17/1994 Besancon F La Monjoie
12/18/1994 Lyon F Le Transbordeur
12/19/1994 Brüssel B La Luna
12/22/1994 London GB Warner Chappell Studios GM Roberto Manes:
Phoenician Dream
1/5/1995 Geleen NL De Hanenhof
1/6/1995 Enschede-Hellendoorn NL De Vrijhof
1/7/1995 Amsterdam NL Paradiso Club
1/8/1995 Leeuwarden NL Harmonie
1/10/1995 Rotterdam NL Nighttown Rory collapses onstage
Mrc 1995 London GB Cromwell Hospital
4/1/1995 London GB King`s College Hospital Liver transplant
6/14/1995 London GB King`s College Hospital Day of death
8/14/2005 Monica Gallagher passes on
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Dec 2016, 23:23

Well, my two cents on the topic is, that as his health started to decline, it added to his stress and depression. Many of you know what that is like. A very serious bout of depression can make it hard to function on a day-to-day basis, and add to that the knowledge that his health was failing, I suspect he simply did not have the energy or drive to put down roots in Ireland. I've read the interviews and such, the wistful thoughts about his homeland. I read that he used to listen to Irish radio broadcasts while living in the Conrad. It saddens me to think about it, but that is what depression can do, it sucks the wind from your drive to continue, it can make even the smallest effort, even going in to make food, seem like too much of a task.

It is a battle, and perhaps in those last years, he just couldn't find the will to make those changes, although perhaps that would have helped. And I agree, Jay Jay, such a change would not have required Rory to give up his music, his muse, that was his drive in life. A change of surroundings, a change of routine may have helped him. IT's perhaps easier for one on the outside looking in to say, he should have done this or that, but the reality is, someone in the depths of a sever depression has to find their own way. :cry:

RobertaSparrow

Postby folkdeejay » 13 Dec 2016, 12:15

Hi JAy JAy,

I didn't take your post to suggest that Rory should have stopped working - and i don't think i said that either. My post really was about what he did earlier in his career, which probably impacted on his later years on so many levels. It seems he was, by nature, thoughtful and introspective... hard to imagine him not dwelling on the 'what ifs' in quieter moments (who doesn't?) ... even if it was his decision not to 'play the game' in the first place.

Your comparison to Christy Moore is a good one - I saw CM play a few times before he really slowed things down, after a heart scare, and I've seen him play a few times sincecc.... whilst he does still play (even on the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury) since his illness - he has scaled things down.
folkdeejay

Next

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES