John Wilson's "Taste of Rory" + RG Tribute Bands

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

John Wilson's "Taste of Rory" + RG Tribute Bands

Postby CiaSeattle » 20 Sep 2016, 14:45

Saw the flyer on the website news. Something about this bothered me...certainly as a member of Taste , Mr. WIlson has every right to play their music, but it just didn't sit right with me. It just seemed to me that Rory's name was thrown in to sell tickets. Now, I obviously don't know the man and certainly not his motives. What do the rest of you think?
CiaSeattle

Re: John Wilson's "Taste of Rory"

Postby capo » 20 Sep 2016, 15:56

Well, there's a boatload of people who earn money off of Rory's songs and legacy. I don't say this to be critical necessarily. All the tribute bands keep Rory's legacy and memory alive, and they are also paid. Gerry's Band Of Friends too. So why not John Wilson? Nobody is forcing people to pay to see these bands. It is what it is.
capo

Postby vasdis » 20 Sep 2016, 17:46

Surely if it is helping to keep Rory's great name going why not ,unfortunately he is not going to be able to promote himself ,so we will have to rely on things like this
and hopefully through more undiscovered tunes. My once favourite band Wishbone Ash's founder and main songwriter Martin Turner by law cannot use the name he
thought up although he is still allowed to play WA tunes,it has caused uproar but the way i look at is why not have 2 bands playing the same tunes.The problem is that both bands only have one original member and three paid side men.I must admit i now have far more interest in RG than WA.
vasdis

Postby RobertaSparrow » 21 Sep 2016, 04:43

The tribute bands are the biggest promoter of Rory's music, and I think every musician who ever played with Rory has or is in a tribute band. Many of the tribute bands consist of musicians who sincerely love Rory's music and saw him play, and I think Rory would be pleased. I would like to hear John Wilson doing Rory's Taste music, because he was one of Rory's musicians. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby vasdis » 21 Sep 2016, 06:21

vasdis wrote:Surely if it is helping to keep Rory's great name going why not ,unfortunately he is not going to be able to promote himself ,so we will have to rely on things like this
and hopefully through more undiscovered tunes. My once favourite band Wishbone Ash's founder and main songwriter Martin Turner by law cannot use the name he
thought up although he is still allowed to play WA tunes,it has caused uproar but the way i look at is why not have 2 bands playing the same tunes.The problem is that both bands only have one original member and three paid side men.I must admit i now have far more interest in RG than WA.

Also this is a much much friendlier forum :D :D
vasdis

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Sep 2016, 10:33

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Rory Smiling Strat.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby ailish78 » 21 Sep 2016, 19:18

RobertaSparrow wrote:The tribute bands are the biggest promoter of Rory's music, and I think every musician who ever played with Rory has or is in a tribute band. Many of the tribute bands consist of musicians who sincerely love Rory's music and saw him play, and I think Rory would be pleased. I would like to hear John Wilson doing Rory's Taste music, because he was one of Rory's musicians. :)

I absolutely agree. John Wilson has every right to play the Taste repertoire. After all he was a major part of the sound! I think that it is great that he feels well enough to go back on the road again and get the word out on Rory's Taste. I'm really happy about it, because let's face it, not enought people know about Taste in fact (ok, maybe it has improved now with all out efforts and the new releases). When I was in Glasgow recently I was talking to old band members who are around Rory's age, and they didn't know enough about Taste. RG is on everyone's lips, but not enough is said about Taste.
ailish78

Postby M.felix » 22 Sep 2016, 10:41

Another tribute band.
M.felix

Re: John Wilson's "Taste of Rory" + RG Tribute Bands

Postby Jay Jay » 22 Sep 2016, 16:24

M.felix wrote:Another tribute band.
ailish78 wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:The tribute bands are the biggest promoter of Rory's music, and I think every musician who ever played with Rory has or is in a tribute band. Many of the tribute bands consist of musicians who sincerely love Rory's music and saw him play, and I think Rory would be pleased. I would like to hear John Wilson doing Rory's Taste music, because he was one of Rory's musicians. :)

I absolutely agree. John Wilson has every right to play the Taste repertoire. After all he was a major part of the sound! I think that it is great that he feels well enough to go back on the road again and get the word out on Rory's Taste. I'm really happy about it, because let's face it, not enought people know about Taste in fact (ok, maybe it has improved now with all out efforts and the new releases). When I was in Glasgow recently I was talking to old band members who are around Rory's age, and they didn't know enough about Taste. RG is on everyone's lips, but not enough is said about Taste.

The more RG Tribute bands the merrier.. and all the better for "RORY'S LEGACY" to go on and on into the 22nd century and beyond..
I doubt if anybody has been involved / promoted and even manage more RG tribute bands than yours truly..
Still involved for my Sins ;)
Rockin' On for Rory
Slainte Jay Jay

PS. # I saw "The Mississippi Sheiks" on the corner of the street # :D RG tribute Band from Ballina in Ireland. Plus "Good Taste" (Spain) & Etched In Blue ( Germany)... These are the young RG Tribute band of the future ;

The Mississippi Sheiks.jpg

Julio & JJ @ Rory Fest.jpg

Etched in Blue.jpg

All Rockin' On for Rory :) :) :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: John Wilson's "Taste of Rory" + RG Tribute Bands

Postby Annie Elliott » 23 Sep 2016, 06:52

I agree the more Rory tribute bands the better. But John Wilson was the great drummer in one of the greatest bands ever, and if he wants to carry the Taste torch I'm thrilled. A friend of mine saw him play and shared some video, and believe me John is still the fantastic musician he was when he played with Rory and Richard.

Anything that brings Rory's music to a wider audience is a gift but just seeing John play drums is a pleasure in itself, especially when he's playing Rory's music.
Annie Elliott

Next

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES