Excerpt from 1993 Interview-What do you think?

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Excerpt from 1993 Interview-What do you think?

Postby CiaSeattle » 08 Sep 2016, 16:02

There's been a fair bit of discussion regarding Rory's physical appearance in later years, but I have wondered about his state of mind. Below is an excerpt from an interview in French guitar world. I was quite surprised when I read this part of the interview, which was at the end. I would like to hear other forum members opinions.

"GW: At the time when blues is living a second youth, does the musical environment seem more welcoming to yourself?

RG: This rebirth could only satisfy me, of course, even if I hold back some reservations. Today, the blues doesn't seem to be coming back in the spirit of guys like Albert King, BB King, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy or John Lee Hooker, the kings of the guitar. We can call them that. It's too bad that today's public is largely unaware of their music - that is, the more rootsy and traditional aspects of the Dallas and Delta blues.

(Long silence) And then, in any case, I don't care in a way. To be truthful, I feel a bit used up after all theses years. I've given so much of myself to this business that I really have difficulty getting enthused about anything. Often, I think that I'd be better off dropping everything and going fishing or back to my paintings. I don't have a desire anymore to inspires sympathy in others or any other sentiment for that matter.

When during many years no one has paid you the least attention, and to see some people in this business come back because it becomes the new trend, I can't put up with that. It's a fairly perverted attitude. You end up caring about nothing and you can only look at this circus with a distant and discouraged regard. For years, the "defenders of rock" have in a way abandoned their responsibility, during the onset of punk and new wave, notably, whereas I continued to play and tour, to do the dirty work without the least bit of support, the least bit of publicity or coverage in the press. If today someone is interested in me in the least, I'm tempted to say stop by default. I have the chance to eat when I'm hungry and to be alive, but unfortunately that's all that matters to me right now. Success, failure, honors or oblivion, none of that means anything to me."

The entire interview can be found on the Roryweb website. http://www.roryon.com/guitarworld.html
CiaSeattle

Re: Excerpt from 1993 Interview-What do you think?

Postby capo » 08 Sep 2016, 17:45

How accurate the translation is to Rory's actual words can't hide the dark, pessimistic frame of mind he was in. This is sometime in 1993. But if you watch his last shows in 1994 like Montreux and Lorient , France he is in a good frame of mind, onstage anyway. But then again, after his last shows in early 1995 in Holland, he was again in a dark place, which I guess he never had a chance to recover from as he was soon in the hospital. It really, sadly seems, he never realised how truly loved he was and how important a influence and inspiration he was to countless fans and fellow musicians. But had he lived, I'm sure he would have rebounded and, with a new lease on life, thrived. But, alas, it was not to be. Anyway................
capo

Postby ailish78 » 09 Sep 2016, 13:51

:( I don´t believe he would say he didn´t care. I´d like to see the original French.
ailish78

Postby Annie Elliott » 11 Sep 2016, 03:22

ailish78 wrote::( I don´t believe he would say he didn´t care. I´d like to see the original French.

Might this be the interview?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Annie Elliott

Postby Annie Elliott » 11 Sep 2016, 03:24

Page 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Annie Elliott

Postby Lee61 » 11 Sep 2016, 09:32

I have read another interview where he is in the same frame of mind as this, from around the same era.
Yes he was disillusioned and that is very sad, I remember getting a bit of a tear in my eye when I read
it thinking, ' How awful that he can he feel so unappreciated?' :(
Lee61

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Sep 2016, 19:20

Lee61 wrote:I have read another interview where he is in the same frame of mind as this, from around the same era.
Yes he was disillusioned and that is very sad, I remember getting a bit of a tear in my eye when I read
it thinking, ' How awful that he can he feel so unappreciated?' :(

He was very obviously in a depressed state. His health was deteriorating, he was to the point of exhaustion. We can't place ourselves in his shoes and see the world as he did at that moment, but I know for a fact, once an episode of severe depression envelopes you, the world appears very bleak indeed.

It distorts all that you see, and affects how you interpret the world around you, and until that horrid cloud passes all you can do is try to wait it out. :(
RobertaSparrow

Postby ailish78 » 12 Sep 2016, 16:36

Thank you Annie. I'll have a read of this.

Yes Cynthia I agree with you. Depression is awful and can certainly change the way you percieve things. Poor Rory. :(
ailish78

Postby SUBY1974 » 26 Sep 2016, 23:20

I would like to see the whole English translation for this interview. I will give my comments later. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby lollylolly » 09 Oct 2016, 12:07

how bitter knowledge, its interesting to few but I have proceeded to make her translate into Italian, I put in any case available "GW: Nel momento in cui il blues sta vivendo presso il pubblico una seconda giovinezza, l’ambiente musicale ti sembra più accogliente nei tuoi confronti?
Certamente questa rinascita non può che soddisfarmi, anche se avanzerei delle riserve. Oggi il blues sembra riassumersi nello spirito di gente come Albert King, BB King, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy o John Lee Hooker, gli “Dei della chitarra”. Possiamo chiamarli così. E’ un peccato che presso questo pubblico si ignori un’intera sezione di questa musica, cioè gli aspetti più roots e più tradizionali, i blues di Dallas e del Delta [del fiume Mississippi]. (Lungo silenzio) E poi, in ogni caso, me ne frego abbastanza. A dire la verità, mi sento un po’ esaurito, dopo tutti questi anni. Ho dato così tanto di me stesso a questa attività che non mi riesce più oggigiorno di entusiasmarmi per qualsiasi cosa. Molto spesso mi capita di pensare che farei molto meglio ad abbandonare tutto e a ritornare alla pesca o alla mia pittura. Non ho più voglia di ricercare o di ispirare simpatia presso gli altri, o qualche altro sentimento. Quando, per molti anni, nessuno ti ha prestato la minima attenzione, vedere certe persone di questo mestiere ritornare alla carica perché si sentono di nuovo “sulla cresta dell’onda” è qualcosa di insopportabile. E’ un atteggiamento abbastanza perverso. Finisci per fregartene di tutto e non gettare altro che uno sguardo distante e scoraggiato su tutto questo circo. Durante gli anni, i “difensori del rock” hanno in qualche maniera abbandonato le loro responsabilità all’epoca del punk e in particolare della new-wave, mentre io ho continuato a suonare e a girare, a fare il “lavoro sporco”, senza il minimo sostegno, la più piccola pubblicità o il più minuscolo articolo. Oggi che si degnano di interessarsi di nuovo un poco di più a me, ho voglia di dire stop, per dispetto. Ho la possibilità di mangiare quando ho fame e di essere vivo, è tutto quello che mi interessa, ormai. Il successo, il fallimento, gli onori o l’oblio, tutto questo non vuol dire più niente per me". :(
lollylolly

Next

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES