Your Favorite Rory Time Era?

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Your Favorite Rory Time Era?

Postby capo » 07 Aug 2016, 17:52

I checked to make sure this was'nt a retread of a thread ;) thats been covered before. While there has been topics on Rory's favorite drummers, albums, ect.,there has not been one on peoples' favorite era of time. I mean that time period that includes both studio output and live performances, and general 'vibe' Rory was putting out. While this is not scientific but subjective, aside from the Taste era, it makes sense to break it down, in fact, by the change of drummers! Each time Rory changed drummers it signaled a change in direction, musically, if not in his attitude or again, 'vibe'. So just pick one Rory "era" as your all time favorite, and say why it was.
    1. Taste 1966-1970. 2. Wiglar Campbell 1971-1972. 3. Rod De'Ath/Lou Martin 1972-1978. 4.Ted McKenna 1978-1981 5. Brendan O'Neill 1981-1991 6. Richard Newman 1992-1995.
capo

Re: Your Favorite Rory Time Era?

Postby capo » 07 Aug 2016, 18:06

This is a hard choice to make. But I have to go with Era 4, or the Ted McKenna era. This is Rory's hardest rockin period, both from his studio out put of "Photo Finish" and "Top Priority" to the balls out live "Stage Struck" But to me, its the Bootlegs of shows from this era that are my all time favorites. Rory was back to a trio, with all the musical freedom and space it gave him to explore in, and boy did he explore. These are his most dynamic and explosive moments captured on tape and film. He also seemed the most happiest during this time. This is just my opinion, its hard, because I love all the eras, especially the Irish Tour era, but I had to choose just one. Peace.
capo

Postby AnnaMaria » 07 Aug 2016, 21:10

My favourite era is nr. 3.

I love the live shows from -73-76.
I never seem to get tired of Irish Tour movie and my favourite album is Calling Card.

Second is nr 2 and Taste is nr 3.
AnnaMaria

Postby RobertaSparrow » 08 Aug 2016, 03:21

Great topic, Capo :D

Well, going by that criteria, my favorite era would be #3, during Rod De'ath's time with Rory, but my reason is solely based on all the times when I was able to see him play live and on stage. But it's a close call for me, because my favorite Rory tunes span his entire career, starting with Taste, and all those high school memories his music brings back, up through the last recordings he made. Many of these later recordings I would never have heard but for the arrival of modern technology and YouTube.
RobertaSparrow

Postby ailish78 » 08 Aug 2016, 21:31

I guess I would go with no.3- the Ted McKenna era. Only because this is the time when I saw him live and I´m just basing it on that really. However, I knew him from recordings with the Rod De`Ath era, and this was a much fuller sound with the keyboards. I remember missing this when I saw him live on stage, but I guess that´s only because I was so used to the keyboards. It did make a difference to me. Having said that, I really love Wilgar Campbell as his drummer. The Beat Club sessions are fantastic and this is a particularly amazing performance from the Marquee Club

This was Wilgar Campbell at the Marquee Club 1972? I´m sure it is.

So I guess I can´t really decide. They´re all fantastic.
ailish78

Postby Vincent » 10 Aug 2016, 00:58

I have been hesitating to reply because having only 1 choice seems a bit unfair to the non-chosen eras. I think all eras have their own merits. For instance I didn't opt for the Brendan O'Neill era altough I really love the Lorelei and Cork concerts and both concerts probably have more DVD playtime than any other era in my home (for instance did you see 'Shadow Play' in Germany 1982?).

So, I guess I am (and always have been) a song guy. I just love a great song. So here's my top 3 choice:

3. The Ted McKenna era because of 'Shadow Play', 'Fuell to the Fire' and 'Just hit Town'. By the way this was also a great live era: did you see the 'Tattoo'd Lady' version in Germany 1979? That has got to be the best guitar solo EVER!

2. The Rod De'ath and Lou Martin era because of 'Daughter of the Everglades', 'Race the Breeze' and 'Edged in Blue'. A really great live act, did you ever see the version of Tattoo'd Lady' in Madrid 1975 and Germany 1977? Very different versions and both very good! I think Lou really added something to a lot of songs in this period.

1. The Wilgar Campbell era because of 'I fall Apart', 'Just the Smile' and 'In your Town'.

I just think 'I fall Apart' must be the best song EVER and don't you just love Rory singing along with his Telecaster on the Beat Club sessions during 'In your Town'?
Vincent

Postby Jay Jay » 11 Aug 2016, 15:20

Vincent wrote:I have been hesitating to reply because having only 1 choice seems a bit unfair to the non-chosen eras. I think all eras have their own merits.

I absolutely agree Vincent.. "All RORY's era's have their merits." As the Defender and Fresh Evidence albums showed us that Rory was maturing into a great composer in his later years. Although Rory was not so much as an electrifying a performer live on stage in his later years.
I saw Rory live throughout these era's expecting the Taste time unfortunately. But now we can see Rory with Taste Live at The Isle Of Wight DVD. So I always say to any other Rory fan I speak to at length, who saw Rory live. If you didn't see Rory throughout the 1970's up to 1981. Then to me you did not see Rory at his peak and very best.. So therefore I prefer to put an upside down pyramid for my choice of favorite era's with those three equally his best throughout the 70's as my personal favourite era's. Closely followed by the other three :)

2. Wiglar Campbell 1971-1972. 3. Rod De'Ath/Lou Martin 1972-1978. 4.Ted McKenna 1978-1981
5. Brendan O'Neill 1981-1991. 1. Taste John Wilson 1966-1970
6. Richard Newman 1992-1995

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay

PS. Sorry capo.. cannot pick just one favourite era.. as like trying to pick just one favourite Rory tune :lol:
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 11 Aug 2016, 20:55

Jay Jay wrote:
PS. Sorry capo.. cannot pick just one favourite era.. as like trying to pick just one favourite Rory tune :lol:

I agree Jay Jay, It's like standing me in front of an array of ice cream flavors and asking me to choose my favorite. There are some I love more than others, but much depends on the time of day and the mood of the moment. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES