The Physical Transformation Of Rory 1984 To !987

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Re: The Physical Transformation Of Rory 1984 To !987

Postby CiaSeattle » 13 Aug 2016, 16:40

I agree about the lighting, plus black and white is very unforgiving. To me it's more the feeling, for lack of a better word, that the first photo gives. Kind of an overall sadness and exhaustion...but then you watch the video of the show, and he just seems to become more and more energized and it's like a weight is lifted off his shoulders.

Yes, there was indeed a huge physical transformation in the last 7-8 years of his life, sometimes it seemed just from one show to the next which was most certainly due to medications. But I always thought he was beautiful no matter what. The 1988 Borderline interview was when I really noticed the change, but I thought he looked handsome and dignified, exactly how a man of 40 years old should.

If you didn't know what was going on with him health-wise, you probably would have just thought he was getting older as happens to us all. I think perhaps the reason the physical changes in Rory impact us so much is because we know what is behind them and what the outcome is and that is what makes it so saddening to see. Bottom line though, no matter how he looked, nothing can diminish who he was as both a musician and a man. He was and is still Rory Gallagher, one of the best of the best, and his music and legacy will carry on.
CiaSeattle

Postby Tom Jonas » 20 Aug 2016, 20:55

I don't understand why he was prescribed Paracetamol in doses which potentially damaged his liver. I doubt it very much, Paracetamol is not the best analgesic, possibly better as a potentiator of other painkillers.
And what kind of pains did he have which required medeication that destroyed his liver?
Or was it all about alcohol. But you must be a drinker for quite a lot of years before you get chirros enough to require a liver transplant. But there are other diseases which damage the liver!

He should, or should have been protected, from touring around 1994 or so. Someone ought to have stopped it. He could have had a comfortable life recording new records in a studio. He loved touring, but was not fit for that.
Tom Jonas

Postby Annie Elliott » 21 Aug 2016, 05:15

Tom Jonas wrote:I don't understand why he was prescribed Paracetamol in doses which potentially damaged his liver. I doubt it very much, Paracetamol is not the best analgesic, possibly better as a potentiator of other painkillers.
And what kind of pains did he have which required medeication that destroyed his liver?
Or was it all about alcohol. But you must be a drinker for quite a lot of years before you get chirros enough to require a liver transplant. But there are other diseases which damage the liver!

He should, or should have been protected, from touring around 1994 or so. Someone ought to have stopped it. He could have had a comfortable life recording new records in a studio. He loved touring, but was not fit for that.

I guess we can go over these things again and again. Rory was probably prescribed paracetamol along with another painkiller, maybe codeine, for some kind of pain. Does it really matter exactly what for? Maybe his hands hurt. He was seeing multiple providers, so what he was using was not necessarily what was prescribed by any single doctor. This is not at all uncommon. People will self-medicate with just about anything because most people either don't understand or are in denial about the consequences of doing so.

It was probably the combination of paracetamol overuse along with alcohol that irrevocably damaged Rory's liver. "In the US acetaminophen toxicity has replaced viral hepatitis as the most common cause of acute hepatic failure and is the second most common cause of liver failure requiring transplantation." http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/820200-overview

As for touring, he was an adult and did what he wanted to do. Donal couldn't exactly lock him in his room.
Annie Elliott

Postby bronyr » 21 Aug 2016, 05:41

Tom Jonas wrote:I don't understand why he was prescribed Paracetamol in doses which potentially damaged his liver. I doubt it very much, Paracetamol is not the best analgesic, possibly better as a potentiator of other painkillers.

He was prescribed Paracetamol for pain, in what dose who really knows? But combined with alcohol use, we now know that these two things are bad news for the liver. He had pain in his hands, at times his feet, insomnia, and pain in his belly most likely from the liver disease. So it was a combination of the two. I think this is common accepted knowledge now, no?

I disagree about the 94-95 touring. According to his brother who KNEW HIM BEST, Rory was much more apt to medicate and isolate when *not* touring. They took him out on those last few tours so that they could better keep an eye on him. At home, he wasn't letting even his brother in. So how would they have "stopped" a 46 year old man?
bronyr

Postby ailish78 » 21 Aug 2016, 11:52

Yes you´re absolutely right bronyr. The touring is what he needed to keep him from a deep depression and stop him from self-medicating. I think he felt more alive when he was playing his music on stage to his fans. I have a theory about Rory that I prefer to keep to myself.
ailish78

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 Aug 2016, 05:58

Annie Elliott wrote:

I guess we can go over these things again and again. Rory was probably prescribed paracetamol along with another painkiller, maybe codeine, for some kind of pain. Does it really matter exactly what for? Maybe his hands hurt. He was seeing multiple providers, so what he was using was not necessarily what was prescribed by any single doctor. This is not at all uncommon. People will self-medicate with just about anything because most people either don't understand or are in denial about the consequences of doing so.

It was probably the combination of paracetamol overuse along with alcohol that irrevocably damaged Rory's liver. "In the US acetaminophen toxicity has replaced viral hepatitis as the most common cause of acute hepatic failure and is the second most common cause of liver failure requiring transplantation." http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/820200-overview

As for touring, he was an adult and did what he wanted to do. Donal couldn't exactly lock him in his room.

And in the early 90s the pharmaceutical companies weren't exactly forthcoming about how toxic acetaminophen was for the liver. Yeah, doctors knew or should have known, but patients? Sure, Rory was probably told don't mix medications with alcohol, but I remember the advertising for Tylenol, and they used to emphasize how "gentle" it was on the stomach, not like those other OTC painkillers. Obviously Rory didn't realize how dangerous it was. He'd have been better off probably with opiates, at least as far as his liver was concerned.

And, doctors make mistakes as well. When I was 22 I had to have my tonsils removed. I was out of the hospital after a couple of days, but then my throat started bleeding a bit. Plus it was extremely painful, so my boyfriend at the time drove me to the ER. The doc there took a look at my throat, said it was nothing to worry about, then before he discharged me I told him my throat was very painful and I asked for pain killers so I could eat. He gave me a packet of aspirin with codeine. I knew nothing about the blood thinning effects of aspirin, but the doc should have. So I went home, took a couple of those pills, the pain lessened, and I had my dinner. Then a couple hours later I ended up being driven back to the hospital, me leaning over a towel in the passenger side of the car, trying to keep from getting blood all over the car's interior. I spent the next 2 days back in the hospital. My own doctor came in and started lecturing me about taking aspirin after surgery. I was not in a good mood, and told him, in my unique way when angry, "tell that to the doctor who gave them to me in the emergency room." My own doctor didn't say a word in reply, not a word. Just walked away.

Doctors make mistakes. And sometimes they bury their mistakes.

P.S. Rory loved to play before live audiences. He lived for it. It's heart breaking to know how much he was suffering that last year, but he loved to play his guitar for us. It's what he wanted.
RobertaSparrow

Postby vasdis » 23 Aug 2016, 06:33

My late wife passed away mainly due to lung disease/ failure but the post mortem also revealed cirrosis of the liver NOT due to alcohol but
the cocktail of tablets she was taking.I myself take a dispersable aspirin daily specifically for blood thinning, although a few weeks back i had to refrain to have a tooth removed.The worrying thing is i also take another 8 tablets a day( type 2 diabetes/blood pressure etc)
vasdis

Postby Tom Jonas » 27 Aug 2016, 19:39

OK, let's end the discussion about whatever medicines Rory took.
One obvious fact, that I never have seen anyone pointing out, is the degradation of Rory as a singer during his last five years. He was an excellent singer for 20 years, but it declined during the 90's. Therefore, it is painful to see the concerts from those days.
Why? Did he damage is vocal cords after all his touring. Or did he become sloppy? But he obviously had problems with the melody too.

Please observe that I still consider him one of the greatest ever.
But forget the concerts from his last years. That's why I think it was a pity if he still had to do these concerts to feel good.
Tom Jonas

Postby ailish78 » 28 Aug 2016, 00:36

Tom Jonas wrote:OK, let's end the discussion about whatever medicines Rory took.
One obvious fact, that I never have seen anyone pointing out, is the degradation of Rory as a singer during his last five years. He was an excellent singer for 20 years, but it declined during the 90's. Therefore, it is painful to see the concerts from those days.
Why? Did he damage is vocal cords after all his touring. Or did he become sloppy? But he obviously had problems with the melody too.

But forget the concerts from his last years. That's why I think it was a pity if he still had to do these concerts to feel good.

I actually did mention this. Depending on what meds he was taking they would have contributed to the deterioration of his vocal chords. I'm a singer and I had to take cortico-steroids for a long time and they totally damage your vocal chords. I know that Rory took cortisone at some point as well. Also I reckon he would have been having problems with acid reflux. Stomach acids can settle on the vocal chords and cause a lot of damage. There is also the problem of overwork and fatigue. We all lose a bit of vocal ability as we age anyway and this also depends a lot on lifestyle.
ailish78

Postby bronyr » 29 Aug 2016, 19:23

Tom Jonas wrote:OK, let's end the discussion about whatever medicines Rory took.

Tom, have a look at the Rockpalast 1990 gig. Listen to his voice. It's brilliant here. Not to mention his stellar playing. I don't find it painful to watch at all. The only thing I find painful is that he seemed tired and possibly in pain (mental and physical) in his last years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_qdXi899c8
Rory had toured incessantly since age 15! Of course with the meds and drink, by age 40-42 his voice would suffer. I've seen Robert Plant sing worse than this, even when Robert was 10 years younger. I've seen other bands I love - Zeppelin, The Band, Little Feat, give poor performances, but that doesn't mean I'll ever choose to "forget them."
Why is it a "pity"? I don't think he did these shows to "feel good." That is really unfair to the legacy of Rory. My gosh, he lived to play. It's what he thrived on; it was his vocation. His calling. How is that pitiful? I think the opposite. It was quite remarkable that he managed to stay in the game for as long as he did.
bronyr

PreviousNext

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES