The Physical Transformation Of Rory 1984 To !987

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Re: The Physical Transformation Of Rory 1984 To !987

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Jul 2016, 07:51

We want to discuss Rory, celebrate the memories and keep the music alive, yet it's hard to not repeat what has already been written. That makes me a bit sad. Or maybe it's just a too warm summer night/early morning that casts a melancholy light on it.
RobertaSparrow

Postby CiaSeattle » 25 Jul 2016, 16:31

RobertaSparrow wrote:We want to discuss Rory, celebrate the memories and keep the music alive, yet it's hard to not repeat what has already been written. That makes me a bit sad. Or maybe it's just a too warm summer night/early morning that casts a melancholy light on it.

Don't be sad, Roberta. It just means that new people are discovering Rory (I count myself in this group), and asking questions about the man and his music. It means that Rory's legacy will continue on, and that's the best thing about this forum. While some topics do get repeated, it's new info to many of us. Whether a new discussion, or a link to a previous one, those of us who weren't around in the beginning love to hear what you long time fans have to say.
CiaSeattle

Postby ailish78 » 26 Jul 2016, 13:24

I also re-read that thread JJ. I think his condition varied from time to time. He still has lots of energy in the Belfast 84 gig and also Austria 87 . Check this out...

No lack of energy here. He's got a bit of weight on but he carries it well. I think his vocals are great in this gig. He developed a real baritone voice. (listen to 'Bourbon' from the same concert). It's only in later concerts that you hear the problems he's having with his vocal chords. His guitar playing is still fab! This is a good concert and I still find him absolutely desirable here. :)
ailish78

Postby photofinish » 27 Jul 2016, 20:28

I saw Rory at Rock City in Nottingham in December 1990..and believe me..Rory tore the place to pieces..massive energy..he was on top top form..
photofinish

Postby SUBY1974 » 01 Aug 2016, 13:53

I have noticed before that Rory did start to change after 1983 . When he did the RTE interview in 1983, he looked healthy and well. In 1984 when he did the interviews before his Ulster Hall concert, Rory did look a little sad in his eyes but he still looked healthy. In 1988 he did the Borderline interview and during the making of The Defender album he started to wear jackets and he said himself he went into dark period. Nothing wrong with wearing jackets and he looked good in that interview in 1988 but still he looked troubled. The last five years from 1990 till 1995, I think there were periods he seemed fine, like at the Celtic Festival in 1994 and then later on.Yes he did put on a bit of weight but that is not unusual for a mature man.
When I sat near him in Ballincollig for the first time, I wonder what had troubled him those last 12 years of his life. The pain he went through and the help that came too late. I do commend those who tried to help him like Donal, his mum, Tom etc.
Its not easy to look after someone with depression and I am talking from experience.
To die at the age of 47 is far too young and you do wonder in the last 21 years what could have been, if Rory had been still with us. He was such a lovely warm man. Thats why his death is harder to understand and bear.I would so much have loved to have met him in this life.
The thing is, while he was going through a difficult period, I certainly had a difficult period in my girlhood and teenagehood for different reasons. It was due to cultural differences, trying to fit into school, low-self esteem,strict upbringing etc. 1990 - 1992 I absolutely had a blast at sixth form. Maybe as a teenager,the problems you face are real enough for one at that age. I had no idea how harsh, vulgar , revolting, ugly , disgusting and despicable the world was after student life. In the Millennium the world seems more troubled then ever. Its a world humankind created. A world that I am sure Mother Earth did not intend for. No wonder she is going through her evolutionary leap at this time in the Earth's history.
Rory knew what the world was like but his music offered to comfort, heal and give hope. His music and guitar playing was a beacon of light in the dark. And it always will be.
I have wept at his passing and suffering. However I know it is a miracle that I discovered his music just in the nick of time. The impact him and his music has on me, all Gallagher fans know that feeling very well. A feeling of great happiness and joy.
I am glad we had him for 47 years. I am glad his music legacy will continue forever. I am glad he shared his music and extraordinary, god -gifted guitar playing with the world and his fans. I am glad for his wisdom and his gentle soul. I am also glad he was able to follow his true vocation and found great joy on the stage and playing to his adored fans.
I don't find it that painful to see his later videos anymore, because I know he is now in a place where there is no pain . A place that is Eden.I also look forward to seeing him in the life to come and playing guitar with him on stage one day. And it is true, right to the end, he never lost his edge with his beloved Strat. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby leftyaxeman » 03 Aug 2016, 21:12

Well said Suby, well said.
leftyaxeman

Postby Regina » 07 Aug 2016, 01:38

Good night my dear friends... from all that has been said so far, what is obvious to all IMO, is the tremendous lack he does .... I am again and again "wondering" what could be the world of music if God in His infinite goodness & wisdom had allowed him still stay yet among us ... of course, because of the problems (the various) later in the case of survival, maybe Rory could not lead the lifestyle he wanted (or was obliged to take) and much would have given a turn of 360 degrees ... but I mean the part of YOUR MUSIC: I prefer to think that he would have matured (& / or as fine wines, the age would be turned him so much better!) and his art would have incredibly GROWN together! HE Would be today perhaps a Master Grandpa in who knew how to do as no one, teach chords to his grandchildren ... or maybe not, I don´t know .... maybe he had become a lone wolf was getting old but wisely distilling its refined chords from his beloved (& also old) Strat.... I can´t get think ob Rory retired from his beloved guitar and music! It is a thought that always occurs to me, not to you guys ???
Regina

Postby CiaSeattle » 10 Aug 2016, 16:25

One of the things I noticed in the later years was that Rory would occasionally have a series of knots or bumps on his forehead. My ex had this, they would come and go. Doctors found nothing wrong physically, and it was thought to be stress related. You can see them slightly in some earlier photos, very noticeable in the 1994 Lorient pre-show photo.

1ce32abcc5231e9926975e3c932f0abe.jpg

images.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CiaSeattle

Postby CiaSeattle » 13 Aug 2016, 06:20

Just a note re: last post. Although in the 1994 pre show Carmilla Dark photo Rory looks tired and ill, by the end of the show during his encore with Dan Ar Baz, he was positively beaming. This is one of my favorites of his later year performances (CELTIC FESTIVAL (Lorient, France - 1994). He really felt the love of the crowd, and truly seemed to be enjoying himself. The transformation from the first photo to the screen shot from the end of the show is quite amazing to me. I think he looks ten years younger.

Lorient 1994.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CiaSeattle

Postby ailish78 » 13 Aug 2016, 10:16

I totally agree with you CiaSeattle. He doesn´t look the same as in the photo taken just before the concert.Of course that could have something to do with the lighting. Lighting can make a great difference to how old a person appears on a photograph. He does look quite fresh in the photo you just posted. Dan Ar Bras himself described his face as being child-like (un visage d´un gamin), so that would be contradictory to the pre-concert shot.
ailish78

PreviousNext

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES