What's left?

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Re: What's left?

Postby Tom Jonas » 02 Jul 2016, 22:28

What about all the various videos and TV recordings we see here and there?
I have done a lot of research on other subjects and there where no efforts were spared.
If we could get money enough, perhaps somewhere funds for scientifically research, perhaps someone could collect some of this memories of
our beloved man from Galway
Tom Jonas

Postby Tom Jonas » 02 Jul 2016, 22:55

If there's nothing from Donal we probably can't expect much. Unless someone start collecting every available memory från those who remember.
Tom Jonas

Postby SUBY1974 » 03 Jul 2016, 16:59

The well won't run dry. Rory will make sure we get to see and hear new stuff in the future. Subrata.x:0)
SUBY1974

Postby bronyr » 21 Jul 2016, 06:50

I'd like to hear the "Joe Jackson Tapes" of his interview with Rory, done at the behest of Rory and Donal after that awful Q magazine article where they tore our guy up. Apparently it was one of the last in depth interviews with Rory before he passed. Some of it was quoted in Jackson's Irish Times' obituary of Rory in '95, but the full tapes haven't been released. Joe has released his interviews with Bono, Richard Harris, Gabriel Byrne, Tori Amos, and other artists. I wrote to him a few months back and asked when they'd be released (originally he was going to post them on his own site but that didn't happen.) He has said now that they will be broadcast from RTE radio but has no idea when. I imagine that's going to be up to Donal? I wanted to ask Jay Jay about that.

I, too, would love to see the Rattlesnake Shake sessions, and Rudi's interviews and footage of Rory in 94. I can't see how that would be an invasion of Rory's privacy as it was described by Rudi himself as an "interview." Perhaps, though, the estate of Rudi Gerlach deems them private property, and I respect that.

I've seen stills from a session that Dave Fanning had with Rory in Cork (at home, I suppose) in 1990 (Spring, I think.) Would LOVE to see that.
There is an interview of Rory in about 78 on a Belfast tv station that used to be on youtube. Now since removed. He was being interviewed by a blond host in front of an audience I think. And also did he not make an appearance on Greek tv in 1981 after the fiasco in Athens?

The creme de la creme would be all those BBC tapes! But we know how that goes sometimes, don't we? A friend of mine produced a fantastic documentary about Ronnie Lane (he worked for the Beeb) and you wouldn't believe the horror stories about the neglect that went on regarding these precious old 60's, 70's, and even 80's and 90's recordings of some of rocks greats. I think there was one famous story about when Pete Townshend was driving past one of the buildings where a lot of these tapes were stored and witnessed them being dumped into the river (Thames? not sure) Perhaps that story is a myth, but it does worry those of us who want to see these old gems.

Oh! And wouldn't it have been fabulous if the Guinness Hop Masterclass was filmed? Sigh.
I trust Daniel and Donal to do what's best to preserve Rory's integrity and legacy.
bronyr

Postby CiaSeattle » 21 Jul 2016, 15:22

I hope if the Jackson tapes are broadcast on RTE there will be some way for those of us without access to hear them!

Since Rudi Gerlach's '94 interviews with Rory were quoted fairly extensively in the Dan Muise book, and stills from the Roundhouse sessions were released by Rudi I can't see why the estate would now consider them private, unless there is some legal aspect we're unaware of. I've been hoping to see those videos ever since I read about them.

One of the other things I would love to see/hear would be the 1978 Macroom video without the German overdubs. I would think with all the fancy technology today, it wouldn't be that hard to remove them.
CiaSeattle

Postby bronyr » 23 Jul 2016, 11:24

CiaSeattle wrote:I hope if the Jackson tapes are broadcast on RTE there will be some way for those of us without access to hear them!

Since Rudi Gerlach's '94 interviews with Rory were quoted fairly extensively in the Dan Muise book, and stills from the Roundhouse sessions were released by Rudi I can't see why the estate would now consider them private, unless there is some legal aspect we're unaware of. I've been hoping to see those videos ever since I read about them.

One of the other things I would love to see/hear would be the 1978 Macroom video without the German overdubs. I would think with all the fancy technology today, it wouldn't be that hard to remove them.

That all makes sense, yes. Let's hope that we'll be seeing more soon!
bronyr

Postby M.felix » 23 Jul 2016, 19:19

M.felix

Postby ken » 12 Oct 2016, 15:59

I personally think there is quite a bit, but wether the estate would want it published or not is another question.
I think it has to be of intergrity and quality. I would think the Sheperds bush birthday concert is one of those, I know Donal was discusing this some 8 odd years ago with BBC worldwide but the BBC can be difficult people to negotiate with. I think that Donal prefers Eagle rock which of course is his perogative.
I think an accoustic album would be great. And the festivals must have been recorded. Of course 'us fans ' only see the finished article, but video, film and tapes unless properly preserved do need serious restoration, and cleaning up. All that aside, I am sure Donal and co will be on the case so to speak, one thing is for sure at the end of the day it is about 'the music' and adding value to the legacy, not about a quick buck. I am sure Rory would want that to be the case, like all of us, we shall have to wait and see as they say.
ken

Previous

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES