What's left?

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

What's left?

Postby CiaSeattle » 23 Jun 2016, 16:27

Although new Rory videos and photos are popping up here and there, the reality is that there is a finite number of these out there. I'm wondering about things like outtakes from studio sessions or maybe tapes Rory had made while working on new songs, etc. I imagine Rory would have preferred to never have something put out to the public that wasn't completed or not up to his standards, but I love listening to these kind of things; hearing the process of a song being put together or the banter among the players in the studio. Personally, I could happily listen to Rory reading a telephone directory aloud. Any chance of these seeing the light of day? JayJay, perhaps this is a question for Donal? I'm curious as well what you other forum members think.
CiaSeattle

Re: What's left?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 23 Jun 2016, 16:43

Rory has been gone now for 21 years, and for most of his working life he was performance-driven. We share memories, there are a lot of bootlegs out there, and there are still unpublished, unreleased videos of Rory's music believed to be archived in various television and radio studios here and there, but for the most part the material that may be still out there has to be rediscovered in a sense. I have heard that the BBC has or should have quite a stockpile of tapes of Rory performances if the tapes have not been wiped and reused over the years, or have not deteriorated through poor storage, Other European stations, German stations in particular, may have more material yet to be released. Rory's fans, friends, and family members have been pursuing leads whenever they appear. But you're correct, there is a finite amount of unreleased work still remaining to be seen again.

I'd love to be able to see some of Rory's sketches and writings. I understand he kept a diary. Diaries are private writings, but if Donal were to go through some of those things and edit out passages that he knows Rory would want to remain private, I'd love to read some of that; his journal entries pertaining to his travels, his impressions of the things and people he met along the way, influences in his day-to-day that may have inspired the lyrics he later wrote, things of that nature. I would prefer to respect his privacy, but surely some of those things he would be okay with sharing with us.

We'll just have to wait and see what develops from here. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby CiaSeattle » 23 Jun 2016, 22:16

Home movies would be fantastic, if the family would be OK with that. As you say, Roberta, we always want to respect their privacy.
CiaSeattle

Postby ailish78 » 24 Jun 2016, 15:24

I wouldn´t want to go as far as wanting to see the home movies and reading his personal diary. It´s like stripping him to the bone until there is nothing left. Everyone´s entitled to their secrets. Sorry just my opinion.
ailish78

Postby CiaSeattle » 24 Jun 2016, 16:06

ailish78 wrote:I wouldn´t want to go as far as wanting to see the home movies and reading his personal diary. It´s like stripping him to the bone until there is nothing left. Everyone´s entitled to their secrets. Sorry just my opinion.

I was thinking more along the lines of the 8mm film taken on the '74 Japan tour, surely there would be more of these. (still haven't figured out how to post a video properly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRLmGgmFHLo
CiaSeattle

Postby ailish78 » 24 Jun 2016, 16:26

Oh yeah I see what you mean. Music-related home videos. I thought you meant family home videos. Sorry :oops:
ailish78

Postby CiaSeattle » 24 Jun 2016, 16:44

ailish78 wrote:Oh yeah I see what you mean. Music-related home videos. I thought you meant family home videos. Sorry :oops:

I didn't make it very clear, no need to apologize! ;) I have to say though, I really loved the family photo of Rory with Donal's boys at the dinner table. To be honest, most of my favorite photos are of Rory off stage.
CiaSeattle

Postby bronyr » 30 Jun 2016, 08:28

Well, I sure would love to see some of these studio recordings that were taped. Especially that last one at the roundhouse where he was looking for the backup singers (which inevitably not used.) Or the video tape from Rudi's archives. I realize that family may want to keep that private.
bronyr

Postby Jay Jay » 02 Jul 2016, 20:50

Be rest assured..

Daniel Gallagher is the new kid on the block as far as "RORY GALLAGHER MUSIC" sound and vision is concerned..
He gave us last year The TASTE of things to come with Taste live @ The Isle of Wight and The multi disc Irish Tour '74 box set :) ..

Lots more to come from the catalogue of RORY LIVE recording for sure ;)

Rory Denim Look.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Next

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES