The Loop

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

The Loop

Postby AnnaMaria » 07 Jun 2016, 21:53

What is Rorys The Loop about? Trains, rollercousters???? Or something else?
Just got back from Chicago and I stayed at a hotel just beside their trainsystem The Loop and it made a terrible noise though rather fun to watch in daylight.
AnnaMaria

Re: The Loop

Postby lonelymile » 08 Jun 2016, 01:42

I think I remember from the liner notes of Fresh Evidence that the song is about the Chicago subway system. You can hear the sound effects at the beginning of the song. And I think Rory himself made a reference to it at the 1990 Rockpalast show on DVD. Love his instrumental tunes, all wonderful.
lonelymile

Postby CiaSeattle » 08 Jun 2016, 08:42

AnnaMaria wrote:What is Rorys The Loop about? Trains, rollercousters???? Or something else?
Just got back from Chicago and I stayed at a hotel just beside their trainsystem The Loop and it made a terrible noise though rather fun to watch in daylight.

That's what the song is about, the Loop is an elevated railroad system in Chicago. It runs in kind of rectangle around the center of the city. It is pretty noisy if you're trying to sleep! I wonder if it kept Rory awake, maybe that's why he wrote the song. :D
CiaSeattle

Postby Jay Jay » 08 Jun 2016, 20:40

CiaSeattle wrote:That's what the song is about, the Loop is an elevated railroad system in Chicago. It runs in kind of rectangle around the center of the city. It is pretty noisy if you're trying to sleep! I wonder if it kept Rory awake, maybe that's why he wrote the song

Rory confirms it's about the overhead railway system in Chicago. In the intro of The Loop tune, at this performance :)

Jay Jay

Postby AnnaMaria » 08 Jun 2016, 21:37

Ah, thank you all for the information. Ofcourse I thougt about Rorys song when they said the hotel was just by The Loop. You can cross the streets under the construction and when a train is running over your head you can´t hear anything else around. It really is noisy. When I listen to the music I can almost hear and see people in a rush to take the train going to work with a Starbucks coffee in hand. It´s a little bit like the stress we all experience usually around work and so on. Ofcourse I don´t critizise the music it just gave me a vision now that I have seen The Loop.

By the way I also went on a seacruise and I met a really nice couple from outside Belfast. And on the beach of Cozumel Mexico I talked to the man.

"Oh", I said. "One of my favourites is from Ireland, Rory Gallagher"
"Oh yeah", he said. "I think he won the great golf tournament this year or maybe last year"
"I don´t think so"
"Yes, he did!"
"No, he did not!"
"........"
"I don´t know if Rory played golf but he sure was a hell of a guitarist"
"Oh, you mean Rory?"
"So I said"
"Wow, we have all his records you know. He was so good, the best you know...."
"I know...."

You can meet a fan wherever you are.
AnnaMaria

Postby Metra23 » 09 Jun 2016, 03:23

And that railroad loop in the center of Chicago's downtown gave it's name, The Loop, to the downtown. We don't say we're going downtown, but that we're going to The Loop (said as a lifelong Chicagoan).

Anna Maria the "L" (elevated train) is quite noisy, but you get used to it and don't notice the noise after a while.

I'm trying to picture Rory playing golf... :)
Metra23

Postby CiaSeattle » 09 Jun 2016, 14:31

Metra23 wrote:I'm trying to picture Rory playing golf... :)

Hey, if Alice Cooper can be an avid golfer, why not? :mrgreen: I think the couple from Belfast were first thinking of Rory Mcilroy.
CiaSeattle

Postby Jay Jay » 09 Jun 2016, 19:06

CiaSeattle wrote:Hey, if Alice Cooper can be an avid golfer, why not? I think the couple from Belfast were first thinking of Rory Mcilroy.

Rory Mcilroy did get his name "RORY" from our Rory Gallagher if you didn't know. I've been told by good authority that RM's parents are RG fans..
They used to go and watch RORY at the Ulster Hall Belfast in Northern Ireland :)
Jay Jay

Postby AnnaMaria » 09 Jun 2016, 20:06

Metra, maybe he could have done some minigolf :D I tried some "real" golf once and I only hit the grass. I missed the ball :shock: At least the people around had a good time. Embarassing....

Yes, the Loop was loud the first day but then I got used to it and I found Chicago a lovely town. I really like it. I stayed at The Allegro Hotel which was just as good as the town it self.
AnnaMaria

Postby SUBY1974 » 09 Jun 2016, 23:01

Its a good thing Rory never wrote about the London Underground Tube Stations. Its my idea of hell. It really is. I would love to know what Rory thought of tube travel in London. I think I know the answer. The transport system in London is a disgrace. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM