Rory Story

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Rory Story

Postby mac » 02 Jun 2016, 19:42

I was working with a man this week and when he heard I was going to Ballyshannon told me this story.

when he was around 15 or 16 himself and 3 friends ran away from home in Dublin and made their way to London to try to join the army. One of them got cold feet and returned home . The army wouldn't take them without a letter from their parents as they were too young.
They went to stay in the irish centre in Camden town and the priest there looked after them. In the centre there was a common tv room for the people staying there and they met 3 lads staying there , Richie Mc Cracken John Wilson and Rory Gallagher
Rory was very quiet but his friends persuaded him to go get his guitar and play a few songs.
They only stayed for 2 nights as the friend who got cold feet told their parents where they were and they were brought home.

He reckons the year was 69 and I'd love to say he was blown award with Rorys playing , but he wasn't , says now he was probably to young to appreciate it. He did become a Taste fan later on tough.
mac

Re: Rory Story

Postby ailish78 » 03 Jun 2016, 08:45

That's quite a story. It's such a pity he was too young to appreciate Rory's playing. It happens. What were Taste doing in that Irish Centre?
ailish78

Postby SUBY1974 » 07 Jun 2016, 13:30

Nice story, thanks for sharing. Camden is a hip area full of arty people. I guess that's why I transferred to work near there.
I guess Rory came to this part of London a few times. He played at The Roundhouse. He went to the Chelsea and Arms pub and its has great places to eat. He played at the Town and Country Club in Kentish Town, which is now the O2 Forum. I saw the Indie band James there last month - a great venue.
Camden Lock has been refurbished and they are doing more work there. As Rory loved to be by water, he would have loved iit
And then there are the Stables. It was a place where working horses were kept, while the railways were being built. But it has lots of eating places,stalls that sell art and craft; Gothic clothes stores; music stalls etc. It also hosts exhibitions. In 2008 they held a Forever 27 exhibition and Rory's portrait and Freddy Mercury's portraits were shown.
I still feel the "ghost horses" everywhere.
I will visit the Irish Centre and it is still there. Did Rory just stay there and played there? He stayed in the early 90s as well. Subrata.x
The Irish Centre, Camden,London UK.
http://www.londonirishcentre.org/
The homeless community do help each other in Camden and I do voluntary work for the homeless whenever I can.
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 11 Jun 2016, 23:11, edited 2 times in total.
SUBY1974

Postby ailish78 » 07 Jun 2016, 17:11

Thank you for the info Suby. I think I was only ever in Camden once for a concert in the 3 years that I lived in London. Shame on me. :( Never went to see any Shakespeare once either. :(
ailish78

Postby SUBY1974 » 09 Jun 2016, 13:22

There is the lovely Orient Chinese restaurant near Camden Lock and the vegetarian restaurant Mildreds is near there. The Ice Wharf by the lock is very trendy with a great menu. The Orient do a buffet just for £10. There is also the famous Camden Market.
Obviously I was not here in the 60s Beatles,London. My dad was here as a student and Rory came here with the showbands. But before timetravel can be possible, I feel, Camden is the closest I will ever get to what a vibrant artistic community is like. I loved this place as a student to.
Finally there is The World End pub. My first love liked drinking here. There is The Jazz Cafe and The Blues Kitchen. At The Jazz Cafe I saw Bernie Marsden tribute to Rory In 2012..I have also bought Bernie's tribute CD to Rory. There are coffee shops where writers meet. The Roundhouse do nights where writers read out their stuff. Subrata.x

As you can see I am not a "homebody". Always out an about. Pisceans can't stay in one place - we are fishes who always like to swim.x
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 01 Aug 2016, 19:40

About 4 weeks after talking about the The Irish Centre, I received an e-mail at work saying would we work colleagues like to put our names down to help volunteer in helping the homeless there. I hate labelling people "homeless". They are people after all. Anyway I put my name down. Working for the charity could help me build contacts for my motivational work, when I begin to run more workshops.
I don't know if Rory had a hand in that.
It would be lovely to see what The Irish Centre has done for Irish people who have settled in London for over the last 50 years. I am very interested in learning more. It will be interesting if they still remember Rory and Taste staying there. It will be nice to help out in a building where Rory stayed from time to time. Subrata. x :mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 02 Sep 2016, 19:36

SUBY1974

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES