Rory guitar style in early days

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Rory guitar style in early days

Postby JimLED » 31 May 2016, 20:53

When I watched my old rehearsal videos I found that I had a much power in speed play back then. I did a lot errors in licks but played them all fast and raw. I'm still playin' blues rock, but my new style of playing is some warm and different, got a lot technical experiences in bands for all these years, but not so close to early days... What me talking about.... What do you think, did Rory miss that his early days of playing, when he could play fast and raw, later, in middle of 80s? For example, watching again and again Isle of Wight, when his power and guitar skill rolls over.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: Rory guitar style in early days

Postby capo » 01 Jun 2016, 16:53

Yes, Rory during Taste days was a very aggressive player. He literally attacked his guitar and played the hell out of it. Which is not a bad thing, but like all great musicians, Rory grew and matured as time rolled on. His style became smoother, more subtle, less is more, you could say. But he never lacked the power he displayed in the early days, just a more fluid, more precise style you could say.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Jun 2016, 23:29

capo wrote:Yes, Rory during Taste days was a very aggressive player. He literally attacked his guitar and played the hell out of it. Which is not a bad thing, but like all great musicians, Rory grew and matured as time rolled on. His style became smoother, more subtle, less is more, you could say. But he never lacked the power he displayed in the early days, just a more fluid, more precise style you could say.

Yes, he was restrained, but he always kept his edge, that same power was still behind his playing, but he controlled it, still used it to dazzle.

Look carefully in the background- you can see Gerry McAvoy watching from the side. :mrgreen: This performance is IMO telling- this song as we know, was a hit for Cream back in the days of Taste. Politician was Clapton's vehicle, probably not one that Rory had played before. In fact, in the beginning of the clip Jack is explaining it to Rory. But it doesn't take Rory long to grab it and make it his own.

As usual, Rory throws himself into it, the interplay between Jack and Rory is priceless. Yeah, Rory still has that raw power. But he is its master.

Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to go to Ballyshannon this week to see the IOW screening with Donal in attendance. I would like to thank him profusely for caring for Rory all those years, then I'd like to ask him a million questions.

8-)

P.S. I just got to share this one too, I've said it before, but I do wish Rory and Jack would have collaborated in the studio, and on tour. That would have been something, and I think it would have lightened the load for Rory, to have as capable a musician and businessman working with him, at his side.

RobertaSparrow

Postby ailish78 » 02 Jun 2016, 15:36

Yeah Jack Bruce was amazing. I always loved his vocals in Cream as well. He was from my neighbouring town. Rory did very well in Born under a Bad Sign, but he got into a bit of trouble with the intro to Politician. I think he probably needed more time for that riff. However, he gets there in the end and they both have a ball on stage.

I don't think I can agree that he smoothed out after Taste. His playing was still pretty wild with the 3 piece. His playing was still really fast but precise, but it's difficult to tell because he was doing quite different stuff at that time. His sound had definitely changed from the Taste days, and certainly his vocals.
ailish78

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE