John Lydon. What happened at the Macroom fest?

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Re: John Lydon. What happened at the Macroom fest?

Postby bronyr » 09 May 2016, 13:01

JimLED wrote:Rory went straight into ‘Bullfrog Blues’, the perfect start. The gig just went into full throttle, getting better and better, and the fans were going mad.

Standing in front of us was one Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon (of Sex Pistols fame), along with Bob Geldof of the Boomtown Rats and a publicist I was to meet later, as well as a few other friends of theirs. Lydon had come in with this bucket of urine, and his friend had another one, and they threw it at the band. Me and Lloyd rushed over to stop the second bucket being thrown. The security was quickly there and they were thrown out. Yes, Sir Bob included! Rory was raving, although none of the urine reached him. If it had gone on his guitar or the amps they could have been electrocuted or set alight.

There was a reception after the gig and the newly formed Hot Press was handing out awards to the bands. It was a nice reception. Gerry, Lloyd and me were standing at the bar, when who walks in but Johnny Rotten. As he came rowling up to the bar, Gerry, remembering the earlier incident, said, ‘I’m going to kill him.’

Gerry threw the best right-hander he had ever thrown, but Lloyd blocked it and I grabbed Gerry. I told him, ‘That’s what he wants, cheap publicity. Don’t let it show.’

By this time, Rotten had run away. This whole incident was filmed by a German film crew, and Gerry has a copy of it, which will be nice to see one day.

http://shadowplays.com/blog/?p=2292

I always wanted to know more about this episode at Macroom. According to Donal, Johnny R, Bob G, and BP Fallon had accompanied Rory and his band and crew on the flight over to Macroom on the private jet. They were already starting to party and act out on the flight, and the German film crew pretty much ignored them. They didn't like that.

The swing Gerry took at Johnny doesn't show on the formal Macroom film. It just shows the awkward and ridiculous comments Johnny made to Rory and Donal while they were all at the bar. Then he just walked away before anyone could respond. It's interesting to look at Rory's face through it all. Unmoved, undeterred, mildly bemused.

I can absolutely see Rotten and Geldof pulling this #&*!, but it really surprised me that Fallon would go along with such dreadful thing to do to the nicest guy in rock & roll. And not long after RG put up the money to launch Hot Press.
I'm all for rebellion and shenanigans. But not this sort.

Punk was supposed to be angry with excess and self indulgent rockers, with the 30 minute drum solos, etc. Rory was the opposite of that lifestyle. So this incident perplexes me to this day.
bronyr

Postby SUBY1974 » 22 May 2016, 18:08

I will keep this brief. I am all for rebellion, the "oo ah, burn your bra" variety. What Bob and Rotton did was just juvenile and out of petty jealousy. It was utterly disrespectful to Rory and his band.
I guess they were both young. Bob was only 17. Teenagers like to think at this age its a "cool" thing to do and it draws attention. Neither Bob or Rotton mental capacities were fully developed at this stage!!
However, I hope, when they look back at this messy episode , they may have realised it was a shameful thing to do and nothing to be proud of. I am sure both of them have learnt from the incident, now that they are my parents age. It may have been a long time ago but RG never forgot, even after Bob did all his Live Aid stuff.
I do give credit to Bob for speaking eloquently of Rory in recent years. He has been through a lot of tragic family events, after the loss of his daughter Peaches. He and his family are in my thoughts.
We all make mistakes but we can learn from them. Subrata.x
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 22 May 2016, 19:00, edited 2 times in total.
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 May 2016, 18:48

SUBY1974 wrote:I will keep this brief. I am all for rebellion, the "oo ah, burn your bra" variety. What Bob and Rotton did was just juvenile and out of petty jealousy. It utterly disrespectful to Rory and his band.
I guess they were both young. Bob was only 17. Teenagers like to think at this age its a "cool" thing to do and it draws attentions. Neither Bob or Rotton mental capacities were fully developed at this stage!!
However I hope when they look back at this messy episode , they may have realised it was a shameful thing to do and nothing to be proud of. I am sure both have learnt from the incident, now that they are my parents age. It may have been a long time ago but RG never forgot, even after Bob did all his Live Aid stuff.
I do give credit to Bob for speaking eloquently of Rory in recent years. He has been through a lot of tragic family events after the loss of his daughter Peaches. He and his family are in my thoughts.
We all mistakes but we can learn from them. Subrata.x

Their behavior could have had very serious consequences, and it was a foolish and disrespectful thing to do. I agree, Suby, and I do think that, especially in Bob's case, he regretted that incident. I appreciate that he has spoken very kindly and with affection for Rory, and this was very much a "youthful indiscretion."
RobertaSparrow

Postby bronyr » 25 May 2016, 03:38

I've also always wondered if Rory knew or saw them throw the bucket of urine, or if he only found out about it later. And I've also wondered if Bob, JR, or BP has/had ever talked about it or apologized for it.
bronyr

Previous

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE