John Lydon. What happened at the Macroom fest?

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

John Lydon. What happened at the Macroom fest?

Postby JimLED » 04 May 2016, 13:52

Rory went straight into ‘Bullfrog Blues’, the perfect start. The gig just went into full throttle, getting better and better, and the fans were going mad.

Standing in front of us was one Johnny Rotten aka John Lydon (of Sex Pistols fame), along with Bob Geldof of the Boomtown Rats and a publicist I was to meet later, as well as a few other friends of theirs. Lydon had come in with this bucket of urine, and his friend had another one, and they threw it at the band. Me and Lloyd rushed over to stop the second bucket being thrown. The security was quickly there and they were thrown out. Yes, Sir Bob included! Rory was raving, although none of the urine reached him. If it had gone on his guitar or the amps they could have been electrocuted or set alight.

There was a reception after the gig and the newly formed Hot Press was handing out awards to the bands. It was a nice reception. Gerry, Lloyd and me were standing at the bar, when who walks in but Johnny Rotten. As he came rowling up to the bar, Gerry, remembering the earlier incident, said, ‘I’m going to kill him.’

Gerry threw the best right-hander he had ever thrown, but Lloyd blocked it and I grabbed Gerry. I told him, ‘That’s what he wants, cheap publicity. Don’t let it show.’

By this time, Rotten had run away. This whole incident was filmed by a German film crew, and Gerry has a copy of it, which will be nice to see one day.

http://shadowplays.com/blog/?p=2292
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: John Lydon. What happened at the Macroom fest?

Postby Jay Jay » 06 May 2016, 14:08

I'm Not Surprised that there is no reaction to this topic Jim..

So maybe we should put "Johnny Rotten" in the Trash Bin hey ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 May 2016, 18:46

Jay Jay wrote:I'm Not Surprised that there is no reaction to this topic Jim..

So maybe we should put "Johnny Rotten" in the Trash Bin hey ? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a reaction, but it is hard to put into words suitable for this forum. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 06 May 2016, 21:49

oh, so how I will know what were happened to the Johny, if we gonna put this topic on the trash? :) Seriously, I didn't know about this guy from S.P. Bad guy? :))
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 06 May 2016, 22:15

JimLED wrote:

oh, so how I will know what were happened to the Johny, if we gonna put this topic on the trash? :) Seriously, I didn't know about this guy from S.P. Bad guy? :))

I vote for not literally putting it in the trash, it is a bit of interesting Rory history. Even if it was a S**t thing to try to do to him. IMHO Johnny Rotten is aptly named. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 06 May 2016, 22:25

All I can say Jim is about this sorry episode, with Mr Rotten is that he has matured somewhat in his old age..
As also for sure with Mr Geldof, two former Punks. That certainly true with the later as we've seen him praising Rory a fellow Irishman, in the two DVD's Ghost Blues and the Taste Live @ The Isle of Wight.

The less said the better.. as I'm sure they both regret what they did all those years ago!
Jay Jay

Postby ailish78 » 07 May 2016, 06:43

Maybe they do regret it Jay Jay, but it's only a certain class of scum that would do the sort of thing they did. I don't forgive easily. They were obviously jealous of the attentton Rory was getting.
ailish78

Postby JimLED » 07 May 2016, 09:31

Thank you guys that enlighten me in this question. Never had been interested in the punk culture. Topic should get traveling into Trash Bin, sure. No more questions. :)
JimLED

Postby Agnes » 07 May 2016, 21:41

Gerry tells this story in some details very differently but his book is full of "differencies" in almost every important facts related to Rory. He mentions that Rory didn't forgive Bob Geldof: "... we were playing Self Aid, a benefit concert in Dublin (...) At one point our paths crossed and Geldof came over and said 'Hi there, Rory.' Rory replied with the tersest of hellos and just kept on walking. He was polite but there was no way he was going to chat to Geldof." Unfortunately in his conclusion later Gerry uses this latter story as justification of Rory's "long memory" so please, don't take it very seriously. I just added it as an interesting "completion" to the whole picture.
Agnes

Postby M.felix » 09 May 2016, 11:55

the topic only served to watch the documentary Macroom again, that cool, and encourage me to learn German .
M.felix

Next

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE