Rory is Touring the Web

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Re: Rory is Touring the Web

Postby dimi » 11 Jul 2016, 05:26

parts of
Joseph Avramoglou ( Event Manager and Journalist) memories of Rory
(concert in Athens Greece)
I was 22 years old at the time. In the absence of adequate staff took on the role, during the concert, to co-ordinate the small group that would... protect Rory and the group from the fans try to come up on stage. At the same time Rory worried and had asked me before the show to be near... because he wanted to feel confident that he will have “contact“ with the console of monitors,' where he listened to his voice and the band. It wasn't at all sure that the “communication“ would work in the mess... as for his rich in Irish English and for the poor English of the sound board in that console. I assured him that I would be near him, next to the console.
We downloaded of the stage several friends of Rory that day . If that didn't happen, the concert wouldn't last more than half an hour...!
At the end of the concert (for many reasons) it was out of control, the cops dropped tear gas and everybody was running,many people went up on the stage ,big confusion. I lost Rory of my eyes, I don't even know how he descended from' the scene...
I dove in blind. With swollen eyes and running towards unknown direction I hid in a building,. After the things calmed down a little, I left for the hotel Caravel, where I was hoping (mobile of course did not exist back then) to find the members of the band... alive !

(Concert in Thessaloníki Greece)

In Thessaloniki, after the concert, and because there wasn't a lot episodes or there were away, we were able to go back with the bus to our hotel ( very tired) with Rory and the entire convoy to rest. At the hotel there was a small disco, which worked, but it was empty, a dj put songs of that era. Others went tο the rooms, others lounging on the terrace. Rory had discovered from Athens, ouzo, and he liked it very much!... so I brought him a bottle of ouzo “12“, _"I don't want no ice nor water" he said, I tried to teach him how to drink ouzo more pleasant, but nothing, he wanted it straight... then laughter... slacking... Some time later, drunk, me and Rory with a bottle of ouzo “12“ in his hand we were dancing in the empty discotheque... “Enola Gay“ OMD !!!
It is one of the most exciting moments of my life.
I will never forget Rory Gallagher dancing to cheesy electronic song, I am sure he loosened and relax after the stress and the excitement of the concert.

http://mandragoras21.blogspot.ca/2013/0 ... agher.html
dimi

Postby Metra23 » 12 Jul 2016, 14:31

Thanks for posting dimi. I had read about the Athens concert, but had never read any specifics about the show in Thessaloniki until now.

Ευχαριστώ!
Metra23

Postby ailish78 » 13 Jul 2016, 10:29

Wow I can't imagine Rory dancing to Enola Gay. That is really funny. :lol: Thanks for this story.
ailish78

Postby CiaSeattle » 15 Jul 2016, 16:10

Slightly off topic here. Oddly enough I had a dream about Rory dancing few weeks ago. This is strange on a couple of different levels...one, because I very rarely remember dreams, and two, because in about 99% of the dreams I do remember, I don't recognize the people in them. This particular dream was very brief, like a vignette. Rory was slow dancing with a lovely woman to Roxy Music's song "Avalon". The room appeared to be in a private home, not a public place as there was a large stone fireplace with a fire burning, and an oriental rug on the floor. The woman was as tall as Rory, with long wavy light brown hair with some bits of grey. Rory also appeared to be somewhat older than at the time of this death, he had let his hair go to grey and looked much slimmer and healthier than in his last years. Damn handsome too!

When I woke up, I remember wondering if Rory ever danced. Now I know he did...at least once! This is the 2nd time I've had a dream with Rory in it. As I said, very unusual to dream about a person I recognize. I'm not a particularly fanciful person, I'm pretty pragmatic about most things in life. I don't sit around daydreaming about Rory either, so not sure why this has happened twice.
CiaSeattle

Postby ailish78 » 15 Jul 2016, 21:30

:D Perhaps he's dancing with that lady now Ciaseattle. (well if you believe in those things).
No in actual fact he does dance during one of his gigs. I think it's the 1982 Lorelei gig. I remember having a discussion with another friend of mine on here about that. He does a rather cute but geeky dance during one of the solos. I need to check that up again. As soon as I've found it I'll post it.
ailish78

Postby ailish78 » 15 Jul 2016, 22:32

I've skimmed through the whole of the 82 Loreley gig and I can't find that scene. Darn! So the search goes on.
I just wanted to say that I love your dream Ciaseattle. That's how we would have liked to have seen Rory today. Looking healthy and with the woman he loves by his side and of course still touring. Can you imagine what it would have been like if he'd had a son just like himself? We could stll have been experiencing the 70s Rory G today! Now that really is a dream :(
ailish78

Postby dimi » 31 Jul 2016, 04:44

Παρακαλώ metra23 (Dimitra ?)

Here some Rory photos
https://rorygallaghermusiclibrary.org/r ... s-of-rory/

and some more
http://www.magicalmomentphotos.com/rory-gallagher/
dimi

Postby dimi » 20 Oct 2016, 00:59

dimi