Letter from the past ~ band fee's

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Re: Letter from the past ~ band fee's

Postby ailish78 » 30 Apr 2016, 09:30

You're welcome Capo.
ailish78

Postby Jay Jay » 30 Apr 2016, 12:01

Sid_Sidow wrote:

After 1971 and decimalisation in the UK your £150 was worth only 15,000 much smaller bad penny's.. That's what you call devaluation/ inflation..

Hmmmm, bad penny.........
Reminds me of a song! :D :D

I didn't quite make it clear to you guys in North America and around the world.. When I stated you would have got 36,000 nice big pennies in 1969 for your £1 note. Compared to as above with new and now rate of decimalisation after 1971. I missed saying and not many know these days with the younger generation, here even in the UK..

There used to be 240 pennies to £1 :) Compare to the 100 pennies now :(

PS. On another note when you think about it in Cork Ireland. Where Rory composed most of his songs.. There are now no Bad Penny's or A Millions Miles Away to that Country Mile / Lonely Mile.. Only kilometres and euro's :( Excepting the North of Ireland of course :)
Jay Jay

Postby M.felix » 02 May 2016, 12:57

No surprise to me on the amounts paid bands here in Brazil he would have to have a job to keep not give him live music at any time, wanted to know where did you get this role, okay fine only kept one thing is just me or have something written behind the sheet?
M.felix

Postby SUBY1974 » 02 May 2016, 19:14

London is an expensive place to live IMO. For e.g a one bedroom flat here maybe £125,000 but in Scotland you could get a two-bedroom house for that! . Its cheaper in the norh of the UK.
Tickets prices are outrageous for gigs. Rollings Stone and The Who concerts are like £200! No way am I spending that kind of money! However the James (Indie band)I am going to is for £50 roughly. I am going with a relative.That's the standard going for top music bands these days.
The Queen gig last year with Adam Lambert was nearing £70. Yet Steve of Sinnerboy ( he plays the drums) told me in the mid 70s he only paid a few quid to see Queen!
Sometimes I try to compare ticket prices of the past to today's value. But the truth is sometimes there is no comparison. I mean ticket prices for gigs were cheaper in the 70s.
I do my best to find affordable ticket and theatre prices. At works we have a site that offers promotional vouchers for gigs and theatres . I look out for these promotional codes and vouchers and I get tickets for half the price.
Luckily there are still some small local cinemas ( very rare these days) where you can see a film for £5.
Smaller gigs are about £15 quid. For Sinnerboy ,I usually pay £10. We should support tribute bands more, because they do an awesome job of keeping the music alive. Sinnerboy work very hard to keep Rory's flame burning, as well as the other Rory tribute bands.
Rory and his band worked hard for their money. Its safe to say I work too hard myself. When I launch my own business I will be working even harder. Subrata.x
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 03 May 2016, 12:03, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 02 May 2016, 23:41

I just wanted to add that in 2014 the boy band New Kids On The Block were touring the UK. I was a fan as a teenager. Well my pal Chrissie said I could get tickets to see the band at the O2 arena and sit in the VIP area. I could also meet the band after the concert, backstage. However it would cost me...wait for...£500!! I am like thanks but no thanks. For me they are not that important and I am not that desperate to meet them face to face. I just liked them as a teen. Mind you in their 40s they can still dance!!
With Rory you could meet him and chat to him face to face. There was no fee for introduction!
The stars today think they are some sort of Gods! They think they are so important.All they are doing is a job they love. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby ailish78 » 03 May 2016, 08:16

You are absolutely right what you say there Suby. Rory was unique in that he tried to live as normal a life as possible. Going to local bars and restaurants and mingling with normal everyday people. If anyone ever approached him, he was always happy to say hello. One in a million :)
ailish78

Previous

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE