Letter from the past ~ band fee's

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: Letter from the past ~ band fee's

Postby Jay Jay » 29 Apr 2016, 13:30

ailish78 wrote:Jay Jay that's not an awful lot. How many of you were in the band?

Hi Ailish, 4 members in our band in the 90's.. Believe me that was the average going rate then for all bands, north of the Watford gap..
Even not that far back 2008, I was UK Tour Manager for my very good Italian friend Riki Massini and his band Bonus Track. Who play many Rory Gallagher tunes :) They did various dates in England and Wales. Not once did they earn more that £250 at a gig. Plus that is with me not taking a single penny out of their fee. It all depends on how many turn up at the gigs usually. I even know nowadays Sinnerboy, one of the best Rory Gallagher tributes in the world struggle to make £300 to 350 a gig. I see them regularly in the UK. With a ticket door entrance fee of only around £8 at most Sinnerboy gigs. It's great value for your money. Compared to seeing some of these so called "top bands" / artists at around £80 a ticket to concerts..
Would not you all agree?

Here's a picture of Riki on that UK tour playing my Gretsch Corvette guitar, through my Fender Champ amp. His drummer playing on my drum kit too :)

Riki Gretsch Corvette.jpg

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby ailish78 » 29 Apr 2016, 13:42

Wow that surprises me. Here in Luxembourg bands are earning a fortune from what I heard. Although I suppose there will be some who are still struggling.

Thanks so much for the information and the photo Jay Jay. That Gretsch Corvette looks great. It makes me long to go back to those gigging days. I can't wait to see some of those RG tribute bands. I already checked some of them out on youtube. I used to think I couldn't possibly go to watch another band playing Rory's stuff without bursting into tears, but I shouldn't deny myself the pleasure of watching a great band, right? It's too late for me to come to the Balyshannon Festival now since I've already arranged to go to Cork on the 14th of June. I'm definitely going to make an effort to get there next year though. I've already been talking to friends about it. Do you still play?
ailish78

Postby CiaSeattle » 29 Apr 2016, 15:32

In Seattle it's not much better for local bands even now. The clubs here will book anywhere from 3 to 5 bands for a night, which gives each band an hour or less to set up, play and tear down for the next band. A lot of them play for the door without a guaranteed fee. Sometimes they might end up with $10 per band member for the night. Most of my musician friends here are older and have other income, they play for the joy of making music, but I feel for the young musicians trying to make a living. There's also "pay to play", where the musicians pay the club to play there, then have to pull in enough people to cover the expense and possibly make a couple of dollars themselves. Where I came from in California, the clubs would book one band for the night and most of the larger clubs will give a guaranteed minimum to the band. My ex still plays locally in CA, he was shocked when I told what the situation was here.

Of course the big names still make the bucks, tickets to see Paul McCartney started at over $100 here for crap seats. I remember seeing the Beatles in the mid 1960's for $4.00, Stones were $2.50 and Bob Dylan was $2.00. :D
CiaSeattle

Postby capo » 29 Apr 2016, 16:24

Imagine if Taste had Jay Jay as their manager! They would have been together for ages. I'm serious! Maybe I missed it on another thread, but allish78, what style of music did you play when you were in bands? Do you have anything on Youtube from your band days? Peace.
capo

Postby ailish78 » 29 Apr 2016, 19:28

Hi Capo. Oh gosh no that was so long ago. The earliest thing I have is a demo tape I did with my then boyfriend who wrote the songs. He actually sent me the files to the computer but I'm not sure what to do with them :) That was also around 78/79. We recorded 4 songs in different styles, but we didn't do anything with it. Then there is a Radio Scotland broadcast with the Big Band I sang with. Those are on cassette tapes and I got my former singing teacher to transfer them onto disc for me. I also have a couple of cassette recordings we did of our gigs from the late 70s. It's very interesting. I've been singing in clubs from the age of 14 and I joined my first band at the age of 15. We were a 6 piece band. There was me and another girl singing so we shared the vocals and did quite a few ABBA songs. I became professional when I joined a relatively well-known act and his band and we toured mostly Scotland and the borders. That was quite an experience for a young teenage girl. A lesson in life. I was getting a pittance in wages and while the rest of the band were getting paid for rehearsals, I was getting nothing. I used to wonder why they took so long to learn one song. After that experience I passed an audition to join a Big Band in residency and that was great. The money there was pretty good I think. I got about £200 for myself for 3 nights work. Thursday , Friday, Saturday with Tuesday stand-by, but we were never called in for that. We did 4 sets a night of about an hour or 45 mins. Our stuff was varied. We did jazz standards and a lot of pop stuff. I had a huge repertoire at the time and I think I've forgotten it all now. It was great and the musicians were excellent and I learned a lot there. This was about 1980. Then I went to Edinburgh later and did another residency earning about the same money for a while. I stopped when I went to university. During uni I took part in a lot of singing competitions that I usually won (£500 for one in the late 80s. That was amazing). I was a broke student so I had to earn some more money. I had an agent, so in between all that I did a lot of cabaret which I hated. That was always my agent's idea. I really wanted to get into a band again, but I had a row with a band I had been rehearsing with incessantly who refused to go out to do any gigs because they thought we weren't ready, so nothing ever came of that. I think the guy who was the leader of the band had stagefright or something. Anyway, sorry this has gone on a bit too long. Nowadays I sing soprano and I'm in a couple of choirs. I studied singing later on after I finished uni. It's a complete change from what I was used to and I can't deny that I miss the old stuff. Still I enjoy what I do now, but I don't get that same feeling and I miss singing in a band. I used to love that. Gosh I hope I haven't bored too many people to tears. You just pushed a button there Capo :D
ailish78

Postby photofinish » 29 Apr 2016, 20:42

I saw Rory 36 times..in total it cost about £120..now that's value over 12 year period...crazy prices..last time I saw Rory in 1992..was £10..
photofinish

Postby photofinish » 29 Apr 2016, 20:53

WP_20160206_002 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
photofinish

Postby photofinish » 29 Apr 2016, 20:54

Get this in early__31 years ago today___the best gig i ever attended___by a Million Miles___thank u Rory Gallagher___ 1.jpg
photofinish

Postby Sid_Sidow » 30 Apr 2016, 01:50

After 1971 and decimalisation in the UK your £150 was worth only 15,000 much smaller bad penny's.. That's what you call devaluation/ inflation..

Hmmmm, bad penny.........
Reminds me of a song! :D :D
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby capo » 30 Apr 2016, 04:36

Wow ailish78, you had quite a history! I'm sure it was a lot of hard work and tough at times but still you did what most of us only dream about, being out on the "boards" as they say, and following your dreams. You actually know and experinced what Rory went through touring. A lot of great memories. Thanks for sharing it with us. Peace.
capo

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM