Letter from the past ~ band fee's

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Re: A letter from the past...

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Apr 2016, 13:39

Sid_Sidow wrote:Also SHOCKED at the price for Deep Purple and Pink Floyd!!!
Oh the days........

:lol: When I think now of how outrageously reasonable the price of tickets were for all those great shows, amazes me to see what my daughter has to pay to see one act! We really didn't realize how good we had it back then, all the best bands, and often on the same bill!
RobertaSparrow

Re: Letter from the past ~ band fee's

Postby ailish78 » 28 Apr 2016, 15:51

Thank you Cynthia for that conversion.

Jay Jay you've seen a lot of RG concerts! You're so lucky. Do agent's take as much as 15-20% fees? In the late 70s I think our agent took about 10% and the guys were still moaning about it. We had no 'roadies'. We had to set up our gear ourselves and take it down and carry it out to the van ourselves later. This just reminds me of a little story - One night I was supposed to be keeping a look out and I sneaked off briefly to go to the loo or something. Our gear had all been nicked! I wasn't a very popular person for a while. Our drummer lost his entire kit. Despite reporting it to the police, it had never been found again. Sorry that was just a little side story.
ailish78

Postby ailish78 » 28 Apr 2016, 16:00

Yes prices for concerts nowadays are outrageous! I go to a lot of concerts, but mostly classical. I paid over 90 Euros to see Daniel Barenboim conducting the Vienna Philharmonic. It was fantastic though and worth every penny. You have to really be choosy these days at those prices. I try to make sure I don't miss out on anything this time. Of course with internet access it is so much easier. What did I do wrong to miss out on all of those RG concerts? Oh well, it can't be changed now. Life tends to take over :)
ailish78

Re: A letter from the past...

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Apr 2016, 20:40

Jay Jay wrote: . . .

Just to put the money all into context - comparison with today's money..
I left high school at an early age in 1969 to go and work in my first job in my father's business. Can't remember the exact £'s shillings and pence I first earned. But I reckon it was around £5 a week. Decimilation £'s and just pence came into the UK in 1971. I didn't last that long in my father's butchery business. Then after 3 years at Art College I got a job in a Graphic Design Studio 1972. My first pay packet then was £10 for a week's work. This was the the year I first saw Rory Live in concert for around £1.25 pence.. Not one Bad Penny spent here and there-after watching The Rory Gallagher band :)

Rory Tickets (2).jpg

I've been in bands and managed bands in the late 1980's and after. Usually the manager / agent gets around 15% to 20% of the bands fee..

From what I've heard and as you say Capo and Ailish. You're probably right..
it was the other way around for Mr Eddie Kennedy.. He would take 80 to 85% of The Taste bands fee? :( . .

As I said, British currency back then is difficult for me to figure, but to put the difference through the years from then until now, in 1969 the minimum wage in the United States in California was $1.65/hr, today it is $15.00/hr. A gallon of gasoline was $0.29 a gallon (yes, 29 CENTS a gallon) today it averages $3.00/gal. A chocolate candy bar (a big one, not a "fun size") was between $0.05 and $0.10 each, where today it isn't unusual to pay over $1.00 for the same candy bar. Same for soda pop.

But even adjusting for inflation, prices are outrageously high. At least nowadays artists are a bit more savvy about agents and the business end of things, thanks in large part to pioneering artists that took charge and passed their knowledge on to their peers, and thanks to the information sources on the internet.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Apr 2016, 21:41

RobertaSparrow wrote:
Jay Jay wrote: . . .

Just to put the money all into context - comparison with today's money..
I left high school at an early age in 1969 to go and work in my first job in my father's business. Can't remember the exact £'s shillings and pence I first earned. But I reckon it was around £5 a week. Decimilation £'s and just pence came into the UK in 1971. I didn't last that long in my father's butchery business. Then after 3 years at Art College I got a job in a Graphic Design Studio 1972. My first pay packet then was £10 for a week's work. This was the the year I first saw Rory Live in concert for around £1.25 pence.. Not one Bad Penny spent here and there-after watching The Rory Gallagher band :)

Rory Tickets (2).jpg

I've been in bands and managed bands in the late 1980's and after. Usually the manager / agent gets around 15% to 20% of the bands fee..

From what I've heard and as you say Capo and Ailish. You're probably right..
it was the other way around for Mr Eddie Kennedy.. He would take 80 to 85% of The Taste bands fee? :( . .

As I said, British currency back then is difficult for me to figure, but to put the difference through the years from then until now, in 1969 the minimum wage in the United States in California was $1.65/hr, today it is $15.00/hr. A gallon of gasoline was $0.29 a gallon (yes, 29 CENTS a gallon) today it averages $3.00/gal. A chocolate candy bar (a big one, not a "fun size") was between $0.05 and $0.10 each, where today it isn't unusual to pay over $1.00 for the same candy bar. Same for soda pop.

But even adjusting for inflation, prices are outrageously high. At least nowadays artists are a bit more savvy about agents and the business end of things, thanks in large part to pioneering artists that took charge and passed their knowledge on to their peers, and thanks to the information sources on the internet.

Wow Cynthia $1.65 an hour in 1969 that's big bucks compared to here in the UK at the time. Like I said I only got £5 ($10) for a 50 hour week. That's why you cannot compare, the USA with UK moneywise. Now I know why bands in UK wanted to do so well in the USA. To get over there for the BIG BUCKS :o

What folk and the last two generation in the UK forget also.. Is that in 1969 £150 was worth 36,000 big penny's :) ..
After 1971 and decimalisation in the UK your £150 was worth only 15,000 much smaller bad penny's.. That's what you call devaluation/ inflation..
Or more like a rip off from the government and banks :evil:
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Apr 2016, 22:22

:D Well, Jay Jay, I've never been to the UK, so I can't compare exactly, but from my 2 weeks in Ireland, I can say that the costs of things are roughly comparable to the United States. and it seems to me the standard of living is much better there- My daughter and I were both very impressed by how much more modern and efficient everything was compared to here. I didn't see the homelessness and abject poverty there that I do here in rural America. I didn't see a single old clunker car like we have here, and all the many cars I did see were new or late model. I would assume the UK is much the same, in fact, based on what I earn, I could not afford to live there (the thought crossed my mind, it was so much more pleasant there than here).

It always amazes me here when people talk about this being a wealthy country. There are definitely obscenely rich people here, but the standard of living for us "average citizens" these days is 90% fond memories and 9% wishful thinking.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Apr 2016, 23:14

RobertaSparrow wrote::D Well, Jay Jay, I've never been to the UK, so I can't compare exactly, but from my 2 weeks in Ireland, I can say that the costs of things are roughly comparable to the United States. and it seems to me the standard of living is much better there- My daughter and I were both very impressed by how much more modern and efficient everything was compared to here. I didn't see the homelessness and abject poverty there that I do here in rural America. I didn't see a single old clunker car like we have here, and all the many cars I did see were new or late model. I would assume the UK is much the same, in fact, based on what I earn, I could not afford to live there (the thought crossed my mind, it was so much more pleasant there than here).

It always amazes me here when people talk about this being a wealthy country. There are definitely obscenely rich people here, but the standard of living for us "average citizens" these days is 90% fond memories and 9% wishful thinking.

Jay Jay wrote:Wow Cynthia $1.65 an hour in 1969 that's big bucks compared to here in the UK at the time. Like I said I only got £5 ($10) for a 50 hour week. That's why you cannot compare, the USA with UK moneywise. Now I know why bands in UK wanted to do so well in the USA. To get over there for the BIG BUCKS

What folk and the last two generation in the UK forget also.. Is that in 1969 £150 was worth 36,000 big penny's ..
After 1971 and decimalisation in the UK your £150 was worth only 15,000 much smaller bad penny's.. That's what you call devaluation/ inflation..
Or more like a rip off from the government and banks

For sure Cynthia these days and over the past 2 decades the gap between our nation's living standards have narrowed somewhat.. But as you can see back in 1969 which we are comparing from the letter and Taste's fee above. As I reiterate and you can see now why bands wanted to go over there from here to make big bucks in the USA in the 60's 70's into the 80's even. Your $1.65 an hour average citizens pay / minimum wage in 1969. We here in the UK didn't have a minimum wage per hour until 1999. Plus in 1969 here we were lucky to get $0.50 cents an hour. So we had 30 years and more to catch up with you.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 29 Apr 2016, 02:36

I do really, when I think back on the 60s and 70s, we were top of the hill as far as wealth. 8-) Mine has always been a working class family, and that was the bottom of the middle class, but that wasn't a bad place to be, really. It was actually pretty comfortable. I still can't believe so many years have gone passed, in many ways it seems like yesterday, that's why these passings lately have seemed so intense, so abrupt. It's a little too close to home for our generation.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 29 Apr 2016, 08:29

Look also how Rory in Cork struggled for years to pay for his now priceless stratocaster...

I bet the guys in bands like Kiss, Rush, Aerosmith etc etc didn't have that problem with buying their guitars in the USA..
As guys in Ireland in the 60's did especially.

That's another thing also. That list of fees for bands is in London.. in the north of the UK the fees would have been much less.
The Taste probably did play at some places in northern clubs for around £30?

PS. This puts it in perspective. I played in northern clubs with bands in the 90's and we were lucky if we got £150
Jay Jay

Postby ailish78 » 29 Apr 2016, 12:50

Jay Jay that's not an awful lot. How many of you were in the band?
ailish78

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM