Letter from the past ~ band fee's

Rory Gallagher No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Letter from the past ~ band fee's

Postby JimLED » 27 Apr 2016, 15:54

It would be nice to know about festival which they discussed... have you any guess?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: A letter from the past...

Postby ailish78 » 27 Apr 2016, 18:12

Where did you get this? That's very interesting. So Taste got £50 each! Well I suppose that was the prices for 1969.
ailish78

Postby capo » 27 Apr 2016, 18:22

More like Eddie Kennedy took all of it and gave the three members a pittance. :evil:
capo

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Apr 2016, 21:52

I trying to use this calculator to see how much £50 was worth in 1969. When did the new money system of pound and pence come in to the UK? Did they still use shillings in 1969 in the UK ? I can't remember - well I was not there LOL! I am using this calculator at the moment but I think it is wrong. Subrata.x
http://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator ... calculator

So much has changed in UK. In fact it now snows in London in April !! LOL. Subrata.x

Gosh everything was typed back then in a typwriter! Good to see. X
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 27 Apr 2016, 22:03, edited 2 times in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Apr 2016, 21:57

Ah yes Eddie Kennedy. You really took care of business did you not?? Hope wherever you are now you have something that called a "conscience" now? ???Ripping off those talented young musicians and of course Rory? How could you do that? Subrata. X
SUBY1974

Postby Sid_Sidow » 28 Apr 2016, 01:21

Also SHOCKED at the price for Deep Purple and Pink Floyd!!!
Oh the days........
Thanks!! ss

"I'm the last of the Independants, the syndicate, they don't approve"
Sid_Sidow

Postby willie the pimp » 28 Apr 2016, 04:20

I can't see any reference to a festival in that letter!

I had a look at http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/ but can't see anything listed in Oxford in 1969.

One of the bands listed there, Grapefruit, had as one of their members a George Alexander, real name Alexander Young, older brother of Malcolm and Angus who became members of a little-known aussie band...
willie the pimp

Postby ailish78 » 28 Apr 2016, 07:38

Oh yes Capo that's right. Eddie Kennedy kept all of the band's money I remember reading about that. How could the guys be so naive? Of course Rory got all the blame. He was just too nice :(
ailish78

Postby Jay Jay » 28 Apr 2016, 09:22

capo wrote:More like Eddie Kennedy took all of it and gave the three members a pittance. :evil:

ailish78 wrote:Oh yes Capo that's right. Eddie Kennedy kept all of the band's money I remember reading about that. How could the guys be so naive? Of course Rory got all the blame. He was just too nice :(

SUBY1974 wrote:I trying to use this calculator to see how much £50 was worth in 1969. When did the new money system of pound and pence come in to the UK? Did they still use shillings in 1969 in the UK ? I can't remember - well I was not there LOL! I am using this calculator at the moment but I think it is wrong.
Subrata.x

Just to put the money all into context - comparison with today's money..
I left high school at an early age in 1969 to go and work in my first job in my father's business. Can't remember the exact £'s shillings and pence I first earned. But I reckon it was around £5 a week. Decimilation £'s and just pence came into the UK in 1971. I didn't last that long in my father's butchery business. Then after 3 years at Art College I got a job in a Graphic Design Studio 1972. My first pay packet then was £10 for a week's work. This was the the year I first saw Rory Live in concert for around £1.25 pence.. Not one Bad Penny spent here and there-after watching The Rory Gallagher band :)

Rory Tickets (2).jpg

I've been in bands and managed bands in the late 1980's and after. Usually the manager / agent gets around 15% to 20% of the bands fee..

From what I've heard and as you say Capo and Ailish. You're probably right..
it was the other way around for Mr Eddie Kennedy.. He would take 80 to 85% of The Taste bands fee? :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 28 Apr 2016, 13:17

SUBY1974 wrote:I trying to use this calculator to see how much £50 was worth in 1969. When did the new money system of pound and pence come in to the UK? Did they still use shillings in 1969 in the UK ? I can't remember - well I was not there LOL! I am using this calculator at the moment but I think it is wrong. Subrata.x
http://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator ... calculator

So much has changed in UK. In fact it now snows in London in April !! LOL. Subrata.x

Gosh everything was typed back then in a typwriter! Good to see. X

I myself have difficulty converting British money, not only due to inflation, but also our system of money has always been based on a decimal system, and British currency back then was . . . confusing. So, I wasn't going to attempt to figure that one out. But my friend Jim saw your question and provided the following reference:

http://www.moneysorter.co.uk/calculator_inflation2.html#calculator

so, £150 in 1969 = £1720 in 2016

Thank you Jim M. for researching that,

:? math is not my forte' :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM