Rory in Terry Murphy's book

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Rory in Terry Murphy's book

Postby dimi » 16 Apr 2016, 06:12

Old post in shadowplays for newbies like me ;)
Terry Murphy talks about Rory in his book The Bridge House
( stories and the incident at Macroom with
Johnny Rotten and Bob Geldof )
http://shadowplays.com/blog/?p=2292#comments
dimi

Re: Rory in Terry Murphy's book

Postby RobertaSparrow » 16 Apr 2016, 06:55

dimi wrote:Old post in shadowplays for newbies like me ;)

I had read that one before, but it's been a while. A very bittersweet story, thanks for re-posting it. :)
RobertaSparrow

Postby CiaSeattle » 16 Apr 2016, 18:28

It's been some time since I read this as well, thanks for posting. One thing I've always wondered...Gerry also spoke of the incident with Lydon and Geldof in this book, and that Rory never forgot it and never warmed up to Geldof. So I thought it interesting that he was interviewed not only for the RTE tribute done shortly after Rory's death, but fairly extensively in Ghost Blues. He does always speak of Rory with great respect (although he does pontificate a bit, as is his way). According to Gerry, Rory gave Geldof just a brief "hello" when their paths crossed at Self Aid and that was it. Did he patch things up with Rory in later years ?
CiaSeattle

Postby Irishcelticgirl » 16 Apr 2016, 18:53

There is a photograph of Geldof shaking Rory's mother's hand, I believe at Rory's memorial service at Brompton Oratory (not far from Rory's home in London). Yes, just checked, mention of this was made on an earlier post called 'Brompton Oratory'.
Irishcelticgirl

Postby bronyr » 17 Apr 2016, 06:28

CiaSeattle wrote:It's been some time since I read this as well, thanks for posting. One thing I've always wondered...Gerry also spoke of the incident with Lydon and Geldof in this book, and that Rory never forgot it and never warmed up to Geldof. So I thought it interesting that he was interviewed not only for the RTE tribute done shortly after Rory's death, but fairly extensively in Ghost Blues. He does always speak of Rory with great respect (although he does pontificate a bit, as is his way). According to Gerry, Rory gave Geldof just a brief "hello" when their paths crossed at Self Aid and that was it. Did he patch things up with Rory in later years ?

Funny Dimi should post about this, as I was just thinking of posting about it yesterday (a newbie as well.) I am unable to pull up the shadowplays blog right now for quick reference, but didn't that article say that Lydon, Geldof, and BP Fallon were brought along on the jet that took the RG band from London to Ireland? And they were annoyed that they were not getting attention from the camera crew? Does anyone know what exactly Lydon said to Rory et al. that night? It's hard to make those words out. You can see on the film where Gerry is about to explode, but they don't show any fist-to-cuffs on the video.

I am so puzzled by this incident. I can see those guys having a go at a more self indulgent 70s rock act like, say, Aerosmith or Zeppelin (don't get me wrong, I love Zep) but -- Rory? He was as punk as a rocker comes! And so darn humble. I also wondered why BP would do such a thing, as he was supposed to be a credible publicist, journalist, writer, etc. And they all knew that RG literally just fronted all the bucks for Hot Press. I noticed that BP Fallon was at some of last year's 20th anniversary events in Dublin. Could it be chalked up to just being goofy and drunk?

It's puzzling to me why Geldof was interviewed for Ghost Blues, too. Although - he does have a way with words and really pegged Rory correctly (IMO) in that documentary.
bronyr

Postby bronyr » 17 Apr 2016, 06:29

Thanks dimi, I was going to ask about this as well, being a newbie :)
bronyr

Postby bronyr » 17 Apr 2016, 06:40

RobertaSparrow wrote:

I had read that one before, but it's been a while. A very bittersweet story, thanks for re-posting it. :)

I wonder when Rory had said to Terry "I won't be playing again." Perhaps sometime right after Rotterdam and before he acquiesced and went into hospital?
bronyr

Postby CiaSeattle » 17 Apr 2016, 17:08

bronyr wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:

I wonder when Rory had said to Terry "I won't be playing again." Perhaps sometime right after Rotterdam and before he acquiesced and went into hospital?

Perhaps it was after the bad show at Town and Country, when Rory said he would never play London again? I got the impression from interviews with Donal that Rory never really left his room after the last Holland tour before he went into hospital.

I think you're right, Bronyr, with regard to Lydon and Geldof being probably just being drunk and goofy. In those days if you were a punk rocker, bad behavior was de rigueur, as well as trying to get as much attention as possible. I wonder what Geldof would say today if he was asked about the incident, now that he is a "Sir" and recipient of the Man of Peace title? :lol:

As far as Lydon, I doubt if he would be in any way apologetic. A dear musician friend of mine produced Lydon's radio show "Rotten Day" in 1995-1997 after his own band broke up. I was quite surprised as he is (much like Rory) one of the kindest and nicest people you could ever meet. When I asked him how it was working with the acerbic Lydon, he said he actually got on with him quite well, as long as he stood his ground and didn't indulge him. So who knows what Lydon would say, although he may have mellowed a bit, he's still sarcastic and sharp tongued as ever.

Looking back at the video, Rory doesn't seem too distressed about the whole thing. I really wish that the German overdubbed translation could be removed so we could hear what Rory was saying, though.
CiaSeattle

Postby Annie Elliott » 18 Apr 2016, 20:15

Wish I could give some concrete examples, but I've seen Geldof give interviews in a number of Rockumentaries so I have the impression it's something he either enjoys or feels called upon to do, or maybe both. He's well spoken and respectful, and he lived it after all.

Remember Rory was a bit annoyed with Van as well. Sure if someone treated me like that I'd give them a wide berth too.
Annie Elliott

Postby bronyr » 18 Apr 2016, 22:43

Annie Elliott wrote:Wish I could give some concrete examples, but I've seen Geldof give interviews in a number of Rockumentaries so I have the impression it's something he either enjoys or feels called upon to do, or maybe both. He's well spoken and respectful, and he lived it after all.

Remember Rory was a bit annoyed with Van as well. Sure if someone treated me like that I'd give them a wide berth too.

It's no doubt Geldof loved Rory. I think that one time at Macroom was just a crazy stupid drunk thing. Say whatever we will about Geldof (I have mixed feelings about him) he sure is an eloquent speaker.
bronyr

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM