Rory's epiphany re: flannel shirts and jeans?

#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

Rory's epiphany re: flannel shirts and jeans?

Postby CiaSeattle » 14 Apr 2016, 15:59

I've read a couple of interviews in which Rory mentions an "epiphany" or a moment that led him to change from his long standing jeans and flannel to jackets and darker clothes. I had thought prior to reading these that it was just that he was getting older and wanted a change of style. Does anyone know what he was referring to in these interviews, what was the moment or event that he experienced?
CiaSeattle

Re: Rory's epiphany re: flannel shirts and jeans?

Postby capo » 14 Apr 2016, 16:40

I don't know if there was ever one incident that led to him changing his dress. If you go to RoryOn.com, and look under the article and interview section, seek out article 96, "Ballad Of A Thin Man", by Colin Harper. It's a moving, well written rememberance of Rory. In it he quotes Rory, when asked why he changed his dress, say "It's a psychological thing", he said mournfully, "the denim jacket and check shirt have become like a stigmata to me". Strange he would use the word "stigmata". Of course Rory being Catholic knew what the word meant, but another definition is " a mark of disgrace, or dishonor or bad reputation". At this time in Rory's life unkind rumours were flying about his drinking and general mental state, and he was sensitive to this fact, and embarrassed by it. Maybe he was saying to the world, I'm not the Rory you all think or hear I am any longer, and he was, to use a word, sober to this fact. The past is the past. Just speculation on my part.
capo

Postby CiaSeattle » 14 Apr 2016, 22:58

Thanks, capo. I have read the Colin Harper interview, Rory says almost the identical thing in an interview with Liam Fay, Tangled Up in Blues, also on the roryon website.

"At the moment, I just can't wear them to be honest with you,” he says mournfully. "I know it's peculiar but it's just a psychological thing. That demin jacket and check shirt have become like a stigmata to me. I never treated it as a uniform but that's what it has become over the years, a uniform that I just don't want to wear anymore. Lately, I wear an ordinary black shirt and a black jacket when I'm on stage. Right now, I feel a lot happier in black."

But I know I've also read interviews where he says it was an "epiphany" and also, I believe, calls it a"dark moment". I can't remember where I saw the interviews, I'll have to dig about a bit. I guess this will probably be another Rory mystery. ;)
CiaSeattle

Postby RobertaSparrow » 14 Apr 2016, 23:07

CiaSeattle wrote:Thanks, capo. I have read the Colin Harper interview, Rory says almost the identical thing in an interview with Liam Fay, Tangled Up in Blues, also on the roryon website.

"At the moment, I just can't wear them to be honest with you,” he says mournfully. "I know it's peculiar but it's just a psychological thing. That demin jacket and check shirt have become like a stigmata to me. I never treated it as a uniform but that's what it has become over the years, a uniform that I just don't want to wear anymore. Lately, I wear an ordinary black shirt and a black jacket when I'm on stage. Right now, I feel a lot happier in black."

But I know I've also read interviews where he says it was an "epiphany" and also, I believe, calls it a"dark moment". I can't remember where I saw the interviews, I'll have to dig about a bit. I guess this will probably be another Rory mystery. ;)

Well,we can only speculate, I think Rory in his later years was troubled by self doubt and felt somewhat confined by his past, and I think the change from his former form of dress to a more somber style was representative of that. For what it's worth, but only Rory could answer that one for sure.
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 15 Apr 2016, 04:38

You know CiaSeattle, the more I think about it, I think when Rory had that "epiphany" and something "dark" happened was when he was recording "Defender". I will have to look for it but I think it did'nt have to do with his style of dress. Hope to find it. PS. Again in RoryOn.com, article 4, "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", there is this extract: "his melancholia deepened suddenly during the making of "Defender". He later said that in the course of several nights in the studio something unpleasant and even threatening came over him". I looked through most of the articles that deal with this time frame but have not found anything new. I do recall reading somewhere , like I said, Rory used the word "dark" and "sinister" but can't lay my hands on it right now. But, surprisingly Rory would later say "Defender" was one of his favorite albums he released. So the artist pushed through ok, if not the man. It left some kind of mark on him. Anyway............
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 15 Apr 2016, 09:52

Rory had a change of mind about his check shirt wearing in the 90's and went back to how he " Used To Be" in a way :)

As we spoke about in an older topic here look viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1575&hilit=Check+shirt+in+later+years&start=60#p12804

Thousands of RORY FANS will make their pilgrimage in a few weeks time to Ballyshannon..
Wearing their Rory uniforms of check shirts and jeans :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby CiaSeattle » 15 Apr 2016, 16:09

Thanks, all. I started reading the older posts you linked to, JayJay. Someday I hope to get through the entire forum from the beginning. I guess it's almost impossible to ask a question on here that hasn't already been covered! What I like about this forum is that no one seems to mind going over these topics again for us newcomers, and I appreciate that indeed. It does give us "newbies" a chance to comment on topics we weren't here for first time around. Thanks again!

One thing I have noticed about the early thread is that many of the photos posted are no longer available. Wish I could see them!
CiaSeattle

Postby AnnaMaria » 15 Apr 2016, 18:43

He´s so cute in those flannel shirts, especially when they are one or two sizes too small 8-)
AnnaMaria

Postby RobertaSparrow » 15 Apr 2016, 19:07

AnnaMaria wrote:He´s so cute in those flannel shirts, especially when they are one or two sizes too small 8-)

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good point. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM