"Acoustic Ocean" ~ Taste revisited ?

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Re: "Acoustic Ocean" ~ Taste revisited?

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Mar 2016, 05:45

This unusual and rare Rory track came to mind again a week or so ago when we were discussing the manner in which Rory presented his music, the difference between his studio recordings and his live renditions of the same songs done before his audience of fans and for television. Unless he had a guest musician step up for a song or two during his concerts, he never really had a second guitar on stage with him, although arguably he did have a keyboard player in his band in some years. For his studio work he usually played most if not all of the guitar parts, and when in front of his audience he was the solo guitarist.

But then there is this one, titled Acoustic Ocean.

Here was the relevant (and last post) from the "Rory And A Touring Rhythm Player" thread:
------------
"folkdeejay wrote:
Never heard that acoustic tune before.

Silly question - and it has a slightly Wheels within wheels sound to the phrasing I guess - but IS THAT HIM ? The solo doesn't sound much like RG at all. Maybe he accompanied a guest player who took the leads...

Unusual. Thanks for posting."

------------
I had wondered about the authenticity of the track,it is so very unusual. And I had not noticed before, but as folkdeejay said. there is a similarity in the phrasing between these two-
released in 2003- Wheels Within Wheels:

From a Taste performance recorded in 1970- Acoustic Ocean:

The track released on the disc of the same name, brought to us by Donal and Daniel, is so haunting and beautiful, I wonder when it was first written, and why Rory never released it himself. First time I heard it, it brought tears to my eyes.

The Taste track, recorded live from a Taste performance in 1970, is another very obscure and rare find. IMO it has the same rather haunting feel to it. But more than that, listen to acoustic ocean, recorded during the Taste era, obviously two people with acoustic guitars playing a duet. I never saw Rory in his Taste days. For one thing, I was not old enough (according to my very strict parents) to go to a rock concert. That changed when I became 18. :mrgreen: But of those times I did see him, I never saw him sit down with another acoustic player and play a duet like this.

I keep wondering about this, it has to have been rehearsed, so some time, thought, and planning had to go into it. And who is on the second guitar? Is it Richard McCracken? Has anyone ever inquired of either him or John Wilson about that? (And if either of you are reading this, we'd all love to hear the backstory around this one).

The uniqueness compelled me to pester Roryweb Steve about this, and he very graciously provided me with the information that he had. He also posted on his website the bootleg that the song originated from, "Tasting the Fairfield."

http://www.rory-gallagher.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&p=867&sid=707eb3a9d63f99713efab5869e59f254#p867

If anyone knows the two remaining members of Taste, please ask them if they would be willing to share the story behind this.
RobertaSparrow

Re: Acoustic Ocean revisited

Postby SUBY1974 » 23 Mar 2016, 22:26

I just downloaded the tracks. I will love listening to this over Easter. Thank you Cynthia and Steve. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Re: Taste Track - "Acoustic Ocean"

Postby RobertaSparrow » 17 Jul 2017, 13:57

For the most part, I don't follow the Rory Facebook pages. But every once in a while, something interesting will come up. On the FB page Rory Gallagher's TASTE, ( a Facebook page moderated by Brigitte 'Bibi' Lehmann) there was an interesting discussion about this track. According to Keith Tapscott who was at this concert, this track was not actually part of the live performance. It was listed as a "bonus track" on the bootleg "Tasting The Fairfield 6 Sep 1970."

It makes a bit more sense to me now as to how this track may have found its way onto a Rory bootleg. It is obviously two guitars, but the recording quality is rather poor. Not really of the quality one would expect from a studio recording. It seems quite possible that this is a home type recording, something that Rory was working on himself, something that was not intended to be released.

As Folkdeejay pointed out, there are similarities between this track, "Acoustic Ocean," and the later recording, "Wheels Within Wheels."

So now, in light of this snippet of information, I would agree that this is Rory and Rory on this recording. And who knows, perhaps this was recorded on the Revox A77 mk III tape recorder in the background of the photo of Rory in his home in the early 70s.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2879&p=30311&hilit=tape+recorder#p30311

Here is a link to the FB page:

reference: https://www.facebook.com/RoryGallaghers ... 1066775732

According to

RobertaSparrow wrote:This unusual and rare Rory track came to mind again a week or so ago when we were discussing the manner in which Rory presented his music, the difference between his studio recordings and his live renditions of the same songs done before his audience of fans and for television. Unless he had a guest musician step up for a song or two during his concerts, he never really had a second guitar on stage with him, although arguably he did have a keyboard player in his band in some years. For his studio work he usually played most if not all of the guitar parts, and when in front of his audience he was the solo guitarist.

But then there is this one, titled Acoustic Ocean.

Here was the relevant (and last post) from the "Rory And A Touring Rhythm Player" thread:
------------
"folkdeejay wrote:
Never heard that acoustic tune before.

Silly question - and it has a slightly Wheels within wheels sound to the phrasing I guess - but IS THAT HIM ? The solo doesn't sound much like RG at all. Maybe he accompanied a guest player who took the leads...

Unusual. Thanks for posting."

------------
I had wondered about the authenticity of the track,it is so very unusual. And I had not noticed before, but as folkdeejay said. there is a similarity in the phrasing between these two-
released in 2003- Wheels Within Wheels:

From a Taste performance recorded in 1970- Acoustic Ocean:

The track released on the disc of the same name, brought to us by Donal and Daniel, is so haunting and beautiful, I wonder when it was first written, and why Rory never released it himself. First time I heard it, it brought tears to my eyes.

The Taste track, recorded live from a Taste performance in 1970, is another very obscure and rare find. IMO it has the same rather haunting feel to it. But more than that, listen to acoustic ocean, recorded during the Taste era, obviously two people with acoustic guitars playing a duet. I never saw Rory in his Taste days. For one thing, I was not old enough (according to my very strict parents) to go to a rock concert. That changed when I became 18. :mrgreen: But of those times I did see him, I never saw him sit down with another acoustic player and play a duet like this.

I keep wondering about this, it has to have been rehearsed, so some time, thought, and planning had to go into it. And who is on the second guitar? Is it Richard McCracken? Has anyone ever inquired of either him or John Wilson about that? (And if either of you are reading this, we'd all love to hear the backstory around this one).

The uniqueness compelled me to pester Roryweb Steve about this, and he very graciously provided me with the information that he had. He also posted on his website the bootleg that the song originated from, "Tasting the Fairfield."

http://www.rory-gallagher.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&p=867&sid=707eb3a9d63f99713efab5869e59f254#p867

If anyone knows the two remaining members of Taste, please ask them if they would be willing to share the story behind this.
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 20 Jul 2017, 17:40

About the song. I hear the second guitar player in this song... Gerry played it on acoustic?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Re: Acoustic Ocean ~ Taste revisited

Postby Jay Jay » 20 Jul 2017, 21:16

RobertaSparrow wrote:For the most part, I don't follow the Rory Facebook pages. But every once in a while, something interesting will come up. On the FB page Rory Gallagher's TASTE, ( a Facebook page moderated by Brigitte 'Bibi' Lehmann) there was an interesting discussion about this track. According to Keith Tapscott who was at this concert, this track was not actually part of the live performance. It was listed as a "bonus track" on the bootleg "Tasting The Fairfield 6 Sep 1970."
It makes a bit more sense to me now as to how this track may have found its way onto a Rory bootleg. It is obviously two guitars, but the recording quality is rather poor. Not really of the quality one would expect from a studio recording. It seems quite possible that this is a home type recording, something that Rory was working on himself, something that was not intended to be released.
As Folkdeejay pointed out, there are similarities between this track, "Acoustic Ocean," and the later recording, "Wheels Within Wheels."
So now, in light of this snippet of information, I would agree that this is Rory and Rory on this recording. And who knows, perhaps this was recorded on the Revox A77 mk III tape recorder in the background of the photo of Rory in his home in the early 70s.

Yes indeed Cynthia, it is a very haunting and lovely tune. :)
Have you approached or contacted John Wilson on FB. If he has any idea about "Acoustic Ocean"? He was quick to respond to my question here..

Following that last post below with Taste's "You Need Love" aka Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" Rory always gave credit on stage when performing other artists / musicians songs. Also the musicians he played alongside in his Taste days and Rory Gallagher Band days. By announcing their names. Here is another example of the humility of the great man. Wouldn't you agree John Wilson?

Taste Following.jpg

John Wilson.. "I must say that Rory always gave me credit, and he was at all times a true gentleman, and always very modest about his immense talent. It was a great privilege for me to have been able to make wonderful music with him and Richie"

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Do you think I should start a new Tasty topic about this also " Taste beat Led Zeppelin to " You Need Love" aka " Whole Lotta Love" :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: Acoustic Ocean ~ Taste revisited

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Jul 2017, 22:43

Jay Jay wrote:
RobertaSparrow wrote:For the most part, I don't follow the Rory Facebook pages. But every once in a while, something interesting will come up. On the FB page Rory Gallagher's TASTE, ( a Facebook page moderated by Brigitte 'Bibi' Lehmann) there was an interesting discussion about this track. According to Keith Tapscott who was at this concert, this track was not actually part of the live performance. It was listed as a "bonus track" on the bootleg "Tasting The Fairfield 6 Sep 1970."

Yes indeed Cynthia, it is a very haunting and lovely tune. :)
Have you approached or contacted John Wilson on FB. If he has any idea about "Acoustic Ocean"? He was quick to respond to my question here..

Following that last post below with Taste's "You Need Love" aka Led Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" Rory always gave credit on stage when performing other artists / musicians songs. Also the musicians he played alongside in his Taste days and Rory Gallagher Band days. By announcing their names. Here is another example of the humility of the great man. Wouldn't you agree John Wilson?

Taste Following.jpg

John Wilson.. "I must say that Rory always gave me credit, and he was at all times a true gentleman, and always very modest about his immense talent. It was a great privilege for me to have been able to make wonderful music with him and Richie"

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Do you think I should start a new Tasty topic about this also " Taste beat Led Zeppelin to " You Need Love" aka " Whole Lotta Love" :D

You know, I never thought to ask him. But I think now I will. I chatted with someone who was at the concert, he said that was not recorded there, but was a "bonus track" on the bootleg,and as Ken said, both guitars sound distinctively like Rory. I'll message John and ask him if he recalls this. I suspect it was something that Rory was working on in his way, and recorded both parts on his reel-to-reel, a work in progress that he never intended would see the light of day. Just my theory. But a lot of musicians do that, work out their ideas on tape, and as was pointed out, there are striking similarities to Wheels Within Wheels.

I don't think he ever intended it to be released, and ordinarily I'm not comfortable with bootlegs, but a lot of Rory's work would be lost forever were it not for these bootlegs. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Re: "Acoustic Ocean" ~ Taste revisited ?

Postby willie the pimp » 26 Jul 2017, 06:12

bullfrogger wrote:Rory people.... I came across this track on the "Taste - Taste The Fairfield" boot... I think is listed on some old covers of "Unplug This" as well however my version of Unplug this does not have it..

On the cover it lists this as a filler track taken from "German Irish TV" - anyone know if that footage exists? or even know anymore about the track?

Video listed here on page 6: http://www.rory-gallagher.co.uk/docs/ro ... graphy.pdf
willie the pimp

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Jul 2017, 10:50

I have seen that list before, but the video itself, to my knowledge has not been made available to anyone in recent memory. I hope that if it does still exist that the person in possession of it will publish it for us all to see.
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Jul 2017, 10:56

JimLED wrote:About the song. I hear the second guitar player in this song... Gerry played it on acoustic?

This predates Gerry's arrival on the scene. It's credited to Taste. It bears doing a bit more research. John Wilson may indeed be able to shed more light on the subject, but I don't really know him. I met him in Ballyshannon, but I seriously doubt that he'd remember me. I did put in a friend request, so I'll just have to wait and see. You know him Jay Jay, maybe you could ask? 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby JimLED » 26 Jul 2017, 12:20

Sure.... it was Taste's time record! Pardon my forgetfulness :)

Yes, it'll be great to know the full story from John. Maybe someone of us can bring him to LT? For questions and answers.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Previous

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES