Rory Gallagher: A Tragic Figure Or Myth?

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: Rory Gallagher: A Tragic Figure Or Myth?

Postby Jay Jay » 21 Mar 2016, 19:16

Shin Kicker wrote:Rory Gallagher for one hour on stage each day, then waiting the other 23 hours to become Rory Gallagher again." Yes, he suffered, but that suffering was manifested in his music, sometimes transcendently so. To call that "sad" would be to deny the beauty of his music.

Don't agree with that first quote above about for "one hour"? He was Rory Gallagher.. I saw Rory live 25 times. Rory never gave less than a " two hours " show :) I absolutely agree with your last 2 sentences though, well said :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby CiaSeattle » 22 Mar 2016, 16:21

I've seen in different interviews with different people that perhaps he was resigned to his fate, or he felt he had finished with his life (or something to that effect). To me, that's nonsense. The man fought for his life for 13 weeks, that doesn't sound to me like someone who had given up. The tragedy is that his death could have been prevented, had he just sought help sooner.
CiaSeattle

Postby Shin Kicker » 22 Mar 2016, 17:04

Very true. But if he would have sought help sooner, he wouldn't have been Rory Gallagher. That just wasn't who he was. He was a solitary person. His bandmate of 25 years barely knew him. If he hadn't been so solitary, he might have lived longer, but I suspect his music would have been very different. What I'm trying to say is: I can't help thinking the tragedy of his life and the beauty of his music were inextricably linked.
Shin Kicker

Postby capo » 22 Mar 2016, 17:47

CiaSeattle and Shinkicker, you both make great points. Shinkicker's thought is quite profound I think. Maybe it is a truism, many great artists are tortured artists. Rory could only be true to himself, as wrongheaded and stubborn as we think he could be at times, to his own detriment.
capo

Postby CiaSeattle » 22 Mar 2016, 19:49

Shin Kicker wrote:Very true. But if he would have sought help sooner, he wouldn't have been Rory Gallagher. That just wasn't who he was. He was a solitary person. His bandmate of 25 years barely knew him. If he hadn't been so solitary, he might have lived longer, but I suspect his music would have been very different. What I'm trying to say is: I can't help thinking the tragedy of his life and the beauty of his music were inextricably linked.

I have to respectfully disagree. While Rory was always a bit of a loner, as we know he didn't become reclusive until later years. He put out a ton of beautiful and poignant music even as a young man, long before his depression overtook him. While I do think his state of mind at that point did give us the amazing Fresh Evidence album (one of my favorites, I think that had he recovered, he would have gone on to even greater things. I've always thought that had he survived his transplant and been given a second chance at life, he would have used it to the fullest extent.
CiaSeattle

Previous

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM