Odd little happenstances...

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Odd little happenstances...

Postby CiaSeattle » 09 Mar 2016, 17:24

Lately these odd little Rory-related coincidences have popped up fairly frequently. Here's 3 from just last week...I spend a lot of my work time driving, and I always have music on, whether it's Sirius XM or my iPhone library, (which is set on shuffle as I'm too lazy to put a play list together). So I'm out in the middle of nowhere in a small town in WA and Bullfrog Blues starts playing while I'm sitting at a stoplight. I happen to look at the minivan in front of me, and surprise! There's a round blue and white Rory Gallagher sticker in the back window and a bumper sticker for the Temple Bar pub! Later that week I was totally lost, which generally happens when I think I know where I'm going, so turn on my GPS and the first thing it tells me is to turn left on a street called Gallagher Hill Rd., then Chequered Shirt Wizard, Tony Spinner's Rory tribute song comes on the radio. Finally, I was getting off the freeway and kind of thinking of Rory, and the truck in front of me is painted with the name Gallagher Construction. Probably because last week was Rory's birthday and I had Rory on the brain that I noticed these things. Anyone have similar silly stories to share?
CiaSeattle

Re: Odd little happenstances...

Postby capo » 09 Mar 2016, 17:44

Odd, but pretty cool too!
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Mar 2016, 22:17

Yes, I do. Last year my daughter and I went to Ballyshannon for the festival, then to Cork for Cork Rocks for Rory. She is into a different blend of rock and blues (Nirvana, Dead Weather, Tool, Black Keys, Veruca Salt, etc) so she was mainly going along to keep me company, and to navigate, but she ended up loving the journey as well. She managed the GPS, and I drove on the wrong side of the road. :o

We spent 2 weeks in Ireland (yes I count the in-flight time on AerLingus) so after we left Ballyshannon, we stayed over in a castle in Galway because of the long drive, and it's a good thing because there was an awful storm that night. The next day we spent driving from Galway to Cork, and we got in to Cork mid afternoon. We were hungry and tired, but after we settled in at the apartment we rented at Atkins Hall, I told Sarah I wanted to visit St. Oliver's. She knows better than to argue with me about anything concerning Rory, so we agreed first St. Olivers, then we would get some thing to eat. So we mapped out the course to the cemetery, and I looked up restaurants in the area. We were both craving Mexican food, so while she programmed the coordinates on the GPS and I checked out the Mexican restaurants. I found one, a Mexican place called Burritos and Blues, and I thought, sounds just right. After that I told Sarah I wanted to see some of the town, some of the "Rory places," and she agreed.

We drove to St. Olivers, and when I got out of the car, the first thing was, without ever having gone there before, and without seeing anyone to ask for directions, I walked straight to Rory's grave. Granted, the marker is unique, but still, it felt like I just knew the way. The next day we brought flowers, but that first day, I wanted to keep my promise, and visit him first. I said a simple prayer, and sat with him for a few minutes, then my daughter demanded we get some food, so-

Then we got back in the car, and set the GPS through the car speakers and it led us to the plaza where the little restaurant was located. As we walked up to the front of the shop I saw the monument that Rory's childhood friend from school had built in his honor.

http://www.rory.de/cork/2000/cork.html

I took many photos myself, but I always have a hard time uploading them to the site. The link above is one that depicts the sculpture.

It was one of the many monuments that I had wanted to see, and to basically stumble upon it the first thing after leaving Rory's resting place, that was astounding. We sat in the little Mexican take out place, and I could see the sculpture from where we sat.

And a third coincidence- The place we stayed at is now called Atkins Hall. It is a huge building converted to apartment houses. But it was built as an insane asylum, and was a working mental hospital until the '80s when it was shut down. In its former life it was known as Our Lady's Hospital, Cork District Asylum (formerly Eglinton Asylum)

http://www.abandonedireland.com/ourlady.html

I found out later, while reading the Mark McAvoy book, Cork Rock, from Rory Gallagher to The Sultans of Ping, that in Rory's early days as a young, upcoming musician, before fame and fortune, he played at many hospitals and charities to gain experience and to build his reputation. One of them was at that very place where we were staying.

I know, Rory history is all over Cork. It truly was his home town. I knew we would be seeing a lot of Rory history there, but these were the unplanned highlights of my Rory journey-

-Staying in a converted apartment in a building where Rory once performed.

-Walking directly to Rory's grave without having previous knowledge of its location.

-Looking up a Mexican restaurant in a directory because we had to have Mexican for dinner, and finding onewhich happened to be right next to Rory's Place and his sculpture.

We saw many more things there by day time, and at night we attended Cork Rocks for Rory.

It felt rather like Rory was showing us around his home town. I think so, anyway. :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby ailish78 » 09 Mar 2016, 23:04

Nice stories. I don't really have any, except maybe just this one- I have a framed signed photograph of Rory on the wall of a spare bedroom. (Not allowed to put it up anywhere else!). I found that framed photo in amongst the belongings of my close friend who passed away in 2002. He was the guy who took me to my first and only Rory concert. I couldn't help but think that it was a sign for me to get back into his music. I also happened to find 2 albums of his on vinyl that originally belonged to me. I don't know how he ended up with them, but I got them back. Can that story be counted here?
I'm going to Cork in June, so who knows what might happen then. I'm going on my own, because I feel this is something I have to do on my own.I can't imagine dragging anyone along with me to do all the Rory things. So it will just be me and my thoughts for 4 days. :)
ailish78

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Mar 2016, 23:25

ailish78 wrote:Nice stories. I don't really have any, except maybe just this one- I have a framed signed photograph of Rory on the wall of a spare bedroom. (Not allowed to put it up anywhere else!). I found that framed photo in amongst the belongings of my close friend who passed away in 2002. He was the guy who took me to my first and only Rory concert. I couldn't help but think that it was a sign for me to get back into his music. I also happened to find 2 albums of his on vinyl that originally belonged to me. I don't know how he ended up with them, but I got them back. Can that story be counted here?
I'm going to Cork in June, so who knows what might happen then. I'm going on my own, because I feel this is something I have to do on my own.I can't imagine dragging anyone along with me to do all the Rory things. So it will just be me and my thoughts for 4 days. :)

8-) That story most certainly does count. I applaud your courage, BTW, to do the travel alone. I'm pretty much a recluse myself, and when I think back on it now, I'm stunned that I ever had the courage to travel there and be out and about with so many people that I did not know.

You'll love it though. Cork is a very pretty little town, and the people there, in all of Ireland, are very kind and helpful. And watch all the Cork/Rory videos you can find, because when you're in Cork you will recognize all of those landmarks, like the hill Rory walks up- you can see it from the old building that used to house Crowleys Music, and that is the street that Rory lived on.

And I bet when you get there, you will find evidence of Rory all over town, people who knew him, murals and artwork about him, music that he played, and of course the town itself, his hometown that he loved so much.
RobertaSparrow

Postby ailish78 » 10 Mar 2016, 08:20

Yes that's St. Patrick's Hill you're talking about aren't you? I'm certainly planning on walking up there. I don't think I could manage to run up it though. It looks pretty steep. I will be taking my running gear with me though, so I hope to find a really nice park near the hotel where I can go for a short run in the mornings. I still have to check that out. I will be staying at the Gresham Metropole Hotel on MacCurtain St. I'm so looking forward to it. :)
ailish78

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Mar 2016, 20:56

Susie and I have had quite a few Rory type synchronicities over the years.

Synchronicites are a real phenomena. In the 21st century I am learning to see life differently with positive thought, mindfulness and the “law of attraction” and visualisation.

I will just speak of a few synchronicities. Last year I completed a course in Animal Reiki healing. You heal using your hands.I love animals and I do all I can for them. I like alternative, complementary and herbal therapies, to be in used in conjunction with conventional medicine. I am in touch with a few well known animal healers. After the finishing the course, I was curious to see a book published by Lizabeth Kaumer called The Legend of The Seventh Son. Its based upon a song Rory wrote for the Irish faithhealer called Finbar Nolan. Rory’s handwritten song is in the book and its translated into Gaelic by Nicola Mcgartland ( daughter of Dino Mcgartland). Lizabeth is a fan of Rory and she asked Rory if she could write a story about Rory using his song. Rory said yes. I purchased the book and its beautifully illustrated. Really lovely. It shows Rory as the faith hands on healer. When I opened the first page, there is Rory healing a pet. I was well spooked, as I just finished my Animal Reiki course. Its like he was saying to me, “Well Done”. In the book Rory then uses his “gifted hands” to play guitar and heal people through his music. He believed that music could physically heal anyway. I gave a copy of the book to Susie last year. The Irish believe in the supernatural.

Susie also had a Rory synchronicity. A band Seafieldfoxes disbanded in 2014, as the band members moved onto other projects. Susie is making her own bluesy type band now. She acutally auditioned a singer, who is very good. After Susie and her got chatting, Susie said she liked Rory. The girl apparently liked Rory too and said she had been at the Ballyshannon Rory Gallagher Festival. Even more incredible, she had been there in 2013, the same time as us!! She is also friends with the Moonchild Rory tribute band members. Susie was gobsmacked. Its like Rory had found Susie’s singer!

In 2011 I was attending meditation sessions runned by a lady near where I live. I have been going to her since 2009. I knew she was going out with a drummer but nothing more. On the 22/01/2011 we were going to a convention. She drove me to Heathrow. On the way we were talking and we were discussing rock and blues. She was very surprised to learn that as an Asian women I liked rock and blues. Its pretty unheard of. I just casually asked if she had heard of “Rory Gallagher”. She said she had but she never saw him. However she was personal friends with Rory’s last drummer and bass player from his last band. Her son had toured with these guys as a roadie , when they were playing with Never The Bride. Finally she said her brother was a good blues guitarist, who was inspired to take up the guitar like Rory. He had met Rory etc. This is a true story. I think Rory approves of the meditation teacher I have. Well I have learnt a great deal about Rock and Blues from her. She is quite hippy person herself.

In 2009, Susie was going out with a band promoter and he brought her down to Chiswick to meet his hippie Uncle. Susie found that this Uncle liked guitar, blues and rock. As they got chatting, it became clear the Uncle was a great Rory fan. Even named his own son Rory. He then said he had a D35 acoustic guitar that Rory had. He let Susie play it, as she is a guitarist herself. She said it was such an honour, because D35s are rare. Maybe Rory arranged that for her.

I have to travel to work on the London Underground and it is like hell on earth. I endure it everyday. Its suffocating. I listen to music to calm my anxiety and panic attacks in crowded places. I use meditation as well. Sometimes the phone automatically selects Shinkicker or Oxygen to help me deal with the travel stress. Rory knew what it was like to live in London and travel on the London tube. Perhaps he knows his songs help me. They do.

We also get Rory number synchronicities. 10.44 being the prime number. Once Susie was listening the radio and “A Million Miles Away” came on at 10.44pm on the dot. That is Susie’s favourite Rory track.

Also when I think of him, I look up and see 10.44 on the clock. Once last year I was discussing the Rory festival to my work colleague and I saw the number on the clock. He follows our thoughts!

There are many other Rory synchronicities and dreams I have recorded in my diary etc. Susie and I don’t particularly care if anyone believes us or not. I never particularly cared what folk think. Rory i believe is our artistic guide and that is that. Subrata. x
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 13 Mar 2016, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Mar 2016, 21:15

On our return trip from Ballyshannon Rory Festival in 2013, we stopped of at Belfast for the last part of our Rory Gallagher pilgrimage. This is what happened at the George Best Airport. When I boarded the plane, I saw 10.44am on the clock and at exactly the same time Susie boarded her ferry to Scotland, she was seating in a restaurant called Taste and saw 10.44am at exactly the same time as me. We texted each other at the same moment with great excitement. He had been with us on that whole pilgrimage from start to finish and made sure we got home safely. I am sure of it. He was saying "goodbye" and see you next time.

Also in Dublin in 2013 we were in this Irish tourist shop. I was thinking of Rory, when i saw a nameplate with his name on it at that precise second. I took a photo of it. Things like that happen alot to us. Subrata. x
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 13 Mar 2016, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 13 Mar 2016, 22:52

I feel if ask Rory something in your mind he will give you a sign or answer. There was a little worry if there was any more Rory gems to come out. I am not worried because he will make sure they will have the light of day. The well won't run dry.
Recently I mentally asked him is there anymore "new" interviews he did. Then on his birthday the 1983 RTE interview is revealed. That was just priceless. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby Lee61 » 25 Mar 2016, 09:31

ailish78 wrote:Yes that's St. Patrick's Hill you're talking about aren't you? I'm certainly planning on walking up there. I don't think I could manage to run up it though. It looks pretty steep. I will be taking my running gear with me though, so I hope to find a really nice park near the hotel where I can go for a short run in the mornings. I still have to check that out. I will be staying at the Gresham Metropole Hotel on MacCurtain St. I'm so looking forward to it. :)

Hi Ailish78, we were over in Ireland in October 2015 and stayed at the Gresham as well, there are lots of Rory related places to see. Make sure you visit Ziggy's Bar, you will see a plaque on MacCurtain street where Rory lived above a pub, the sculpture Cynthia spoke of is in a little square in town ( I spent a while walking around looking for it because a delivery van was parked in front of it!!). There is also the Cork Library ( which I didn't get to this time), as well as the opera house where Rory played in the 80's. If you have the time Ballycotton cliffs in South East Cork (where Rory wrote "A Million miles away") is worth a visit, and of course St Oliver's Cemetery in Ballincollig. You will love Ireland, it is a beautiful place and the locals are very friendly and helpful. My own family is from Blarney and Whitechurch which are both just North of the City.
Have a fabulous trip ... :D
Lee61

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM