Loreley 1982

#1 RORY FORUM PAGE to discuss Rory Gallagher..Things Rory related with respect always

Loreley 1982

Postby Tom Jonas » 05 Mar 2016, 21:59

OK, the Montreaux recordings are fantastic, very good sound and a happy Rory.
I still regard Loreley 1982 as the peak documentary of Rory Gallagher!
A complete concert on DVD (are there anymore? No, as far as I know) excellent singing, his guitar handled at the peak of his career, Everything is 100%.
And key-boards and saxophones was not a bad idea, he should have stuck to this.
And there is the best of all drummers, Brendan O'Neill. Watch it and study him! A hard-hitting excellent drummer filled with superb beat. Nothing is missing.
Tom Jonas

Re: Loreley 1982

Postby RobertaSparrow » 05 Mar 2016, 23:57

Don't know if this link will work everywhere or for how long, so many of them keep getting taken down.

RobertaSparrow

Postby bronyr » 13 Mar 2016, 07:11

Tom Jonas wrote:OK, the Montreaux recordings are fantastic, very good sound and a happy Rory.
I still regard Loreley 1982 as the peak documentary of Rory Gallagher!
A complete concert on DVD (are there anymore? No, as far as I know) excellent singing, his guitar handled at the peak of his career, Everything is 100%.
And key-boards and saxophones was not a bad idea, he should have stuck to this.
And there is the best of all drummers, Brendan O'Neill. Watch it and study him! A hard-hitting excellent drummer filled with superb beat. Nothing is missing.

I love Loreley, too. Only thing is - and it could just be me, but I'm listening right now to it from the Rockpalast DVD and I can't hear the guitar very well. It seems a bit low in the mix. Especially when he plays slide or lead. Did you notice that? Brendan is on fine form here, totally agreed!
bronyr

Postby bronyr » 13 Mar 2016, 07:18

RobertaSparrow wrote:Don't know if this link will work everywhere or for how long, so many of them keep getting taken down.

I always wondered what happened here right before the jam session. At 1:30 we see Rory and David Lindley, with Peter Ruchel looking on, most likely discussing what numbers to play. Then Klaus Heuser (correct me if I am wrong) comes in and seems to ask Rory something. Rory appears reticent, looks at David, then back at Klaus, and nods his head. Then around 19:20 in we see Klaus (I think) get so excited he grabs the mic from Rory. Not to criticize the guy, he was probably chuffed to be jamming up there. And RG just takes it in stride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUpo6ztRkQ0
bronyr

Postby ailish78 » 13 Mar 2016, 07:51

" Then around 19:20 in we see Klaus (I think) get so excited he grabs the mic from Rory. Not to criticize the guy, he was probably chuffed to be jamming up there. And RG just takes it in stride! "

That's Wolfgang Niedecken from BAP! Yes, I noticed that too. I thought it was pretty rude. I didn't particularly like this jam session. It was a bit messy. Too many musicians on the stage competing with each other. Some egos bigger than others though. Rory just seems to stay in the background most of the time.

I like the Loreley too. I didn't know there was a dvd. I have a question. I already have a dvd of the Rockpalast, but it is just one disc with an acoustic concert (SWR3 tv I think) and then an electric one (around 76 or 77) and then a jam session with Frankie Miller from Wiesbaden 1979. It's great, but not enough for me. I've read somewhere that there is a box set with all his Rockpalast appearances. I'd love to get that. He played some amazing guitar during these gigs. Does anybody know about it. I haven't seen it on Amazon.
ailish78

Postby bronyr » 13 Mar 2016, 08:11

ailish78 wrote:" Then around 19:20 in we see Klaus (I think) get so excited he grabs the mic from Rory. Not to criticize the guy, he was probably chuffed to be jamming up there. And RG just takes it in stride! "

That's Wolfgang Niedecken from BAP! Yes, I noticed that too. I thought it was pretty rude. I didn't particularly like this jam session. It was a bit messy. Too many musicians on the stage competing with each other. Some egos bigger than others though. Rory just seems to stay in the background most of the time.

I like the Loreley too. I didn't know there was a dvd. I have a question. I already have a dvd of the Rockpalast, but it is just one disc with an acoustic concert (SWR3 tv I think) and then an electric one (around 76 or 77) and then a jam session with Frankie Miller from Wiesbaden 1979. It's great, but not enough for me. I've read somewhere that there is a box set with all his Rockpalast appearances. I'd love to get that. He played some amazing guitar during these gigs. Does anybody know about it. I haven't seen it on Amazon.

Yea, I felt the jam session was very messy. You can see David and Rory sort of hanging back together during it. I have the box set. It looks like this; got it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SN ... B000SNNTVG
bronyr

Postby ailish78 » 13 Mar 2016, 08:27

Great thanks bronyr! I see that's the US website. I don't usually order from them because of quite expensive delivery charges. I'm also always worried it will get lost in the post coming from the States. I'm going to have to talk nicely to my husband to get this. Are you in the US?

I'm also planning on getting the dvd from Cork Opera House in 1987. That's a good gig. He's really on form and he seems so happy here. I watched it on youtube, but I want to own it now so that I can watch it whenever I like on the big screen.
ailish78

Postby ailish78 » 13 Mar 2016, 08:33

I just noticed you can get all 3 - live at Montreux, Rockpalast and the Cork Opera House - for just over 60 $. I just added them to the cart, but I haven't pressed the trigger yet. Need to do a bit of smooth talking I think :)
ailish78

Postby bronyr » 13 Mar 2016, 09:08

ailish78 wrote:Great thanks bronyr! I see that's the US website. I don't usually order from them because of quite expensive delivery charges. I'm also always worried it will get lost in the post coming from the States. I'm going to have to talk nicely to my husband to get this. Are you in the US?

I'm also planning on getting the dvd from Cork Opera House in 1987. That's a good gig. He's really on form and he seems so happy here. I watched it on youtube, but I want to own it now so that I can watch it whenever I like on the big screen.

Yes, I am in the States. Where are you?
bronyr

Postby Tom Jonas » 24 Mar 2016, 20:38

The jam-session is mess and a disgrace!! Rory seems to stay in the background suffering during the rubbish.

Yes, the quality of the soundrecording varies during the concert. But it was probably not easy to make it perfect during a live session. They hardly ever got a chance to calibrate their gear during any test performance.

Rory Gallagher - Live at Rockpalast (3 DVDs) is available at least from Amazon.uk. It contains five different concerts, including Loreley 1982.
Tom Jonas

Next

Return to RORY'S "LOOSE TALK" with TASTE-FUL TOPICS & ROCKIN' BLUES TUNES