Stage Fright

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: Stage Fright

Postby Tom Jonas » 24 Mar 2016, 20:27

successive decline from circa 1990

OK, I'm sorry and agree that it was not bad around 1990. I change my date to 1994-95.
Tom Jonas

Postby ailish78 » 24 Mar 2016, 21:27

Here is an example of a brilliant late performance from Montreux 1994. He actually looks pretty good here I think. I've seen him looking worse. This song is fab!

https://youtu.be/zKPI6tWE1B4

I'm not a huge fan of this drummer. He actually lacks the energy of Rory! Please don't take offence at me saying this, but he just can't be compared to the late Wilgar Campbell or Ted McKenna! I wish I had been there.
ailish78

Postby ailish78 » 24 Mar 2016, 21:35

Sorry but I just had to post this one too from the same concert. This is a favourite of mine. What feeling! I just love it/him. :) This song just got better with age.

https://youtu.be/QnBeuVy7CHY

Nothing sloppy about his singing here :)
ailish78

Postby Tom Jonas » 25 Mar 2016, 22:32

I haven't seen anything from that concert before. But obviously no problem with the guitarplaying.
However, I think he lost something in his voice during the 1990s. He used to be such an excellent singer!

I agree, not a very good drummer,
Tom Jonas

Postby AnnaMaria » 26 Mar 2016, 11:00

There was something "dark" in his voice. Ofcourse a singer Changes his voice when the years goes by when screaming away on stage for hours. I don´t Think Rorys voice only changed because of worn out. I Think he expressed something like he was feeling inside. A Little tired, a Little dark...

I´m a lousy fan. Up to 95% I listen from Taste to 1977. I do listen to Fresh Evidence on cd and I Think it´s different but very good even though I find it "dark".

I don´t like to Watch the Youtube videos where he has the marks on his arms. I can´t get over that his body is screaming for help. Just wished he would have listened to it.

It´s just my opinion and we are all different...
AnnaMaria

Postby CiaSeattle » 26 Mar 2016, 19:39

I always thought this rendition of Mean Disposition was rather telling..." I've been hangin' 'round Cork City, grievin' myself half to death" . I've never heard him sing it that way before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OYC9AndS68

There's a sadness too when he sings "why can't I be happy just like everybody else?" that I don't hear in other versions.
CiaSeattle

Postby Tom Jonas » 26 Mar 2016, 20:34

There was something "dark" in his voice

I am hesitant how much we should tresh in the last years of Rory's career, that is not what we should remember. But his voice changed, definitely! Darker and more nasal, almost as if he had a cold. And he lost his security in following the melody.
Was there a connection with his increase in weight? Sometimes I wonder if he suffered from hypothoroidism. But I suppose they checked that.

Whatever, no idea to speculate. Remember all the good times.
Take Willie Dixon's "What in the world" from the Loreley-concert for example. A genuin blues voice.
I am certain that a friend sent me Willie Dixon's original recording on Youtube (not bad at all), but I can't find it.

What a pity that I never heard Rory live. I had a chance when he appeared in Stockholm.
AnnaMaria, var det på Gröna Lund i Stockholm? När då?
But we were expecting our first child then.
Tom Jonas

Postby ailish78 » 26 Mar 2016, 22:11

AnnaMaria wrote:
I don´t like to Watch the Youtube videos where he has the marks on his arms.

AnnaMaria where does he have marks on his arms? He had a lot of arm hair and coupled with sweat it possibly made it look like there were marks on his arms. He certainly wasn't self-harming.

As far as I've read he had been given cortico-steroids by a doctor to deal with pain I think. (What a bad doctor!). This certainly would have contributed to his liver failure and I happen to know that cortico-steroids damage your vocal chords. I've had to take them myself for a chronic condition. His voice would have changed because of that.
ailish78

Postby AnnaMaria » 26 Mar 2016, 23:10

I Think I wrote about the video where I saw his marks on his arms in an earlier thread. Unfortunately I don´t remember which video it was. Ofcourse from the 90s and I remember he wore a blue skirt.

Tom Jonas, Rory spelade på Grönan 840605. Han spelade på konserthuset 791027 också. 40 minuter hemifrån och jag hade ingen aning om vem han var, tyvärr.

I have Another question. Not about stage fright but Fresh Evidence so I hope it´s ok. My cd cover has a Picture of Rory from 1973. I know there are other covers with Pictures taken at the time of the recording but WHO decided to put on a Picture not at the time of recording? The old Picture is Lovely ofcourse, but was it the record company who wanted a more "Selling face" or Rory himself who choose the front cover? I find it kinda sad to put on an almost 20 year old Picture.
AnnaMaria

Postby CiaSeattle » 26 Mar 2016, 23:46

Rory suffered from either eczema or psoriasis in his later years. Gary Moore commented on it in an interview, and I know I've seen mention it elsewhere as well. It's quite noticeable in the video from Pistoia 1994, after he rolls up his sleeves midway through.
There is a close up of his left arm at the beginning of Tattoo'd Lady where is it covered in marks.

https://youtu.be/rmzlT0oXvew?t=1578

But he played very well that show, and seemed to be enjoying himself more than it seemed in some of the other videos I've seen from other 1994 shows. While it may be hard to see him in these later shows, I still watch them, as it is part of his story. Some are better than others, but each has it's moment of brilliance and beauty. The only show I really don't watch anymore is 1994 Stuttgart, I'll let you for your own opinion about what was going on with him in that one.
CiaSeattle

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM