#1 Rory Page for Discussioin.. Topics RG Related with Respect Always

New Interview With Rory in 1980? Tore Down

Postby SUBY1974 » 04 Mar 2016, 09:23

I have never seen this Rory interview before:-
https://youtu.be/zrFwYt4yLVk
SUBY1974

Re: New Interview With Rory in 1980? Tore Down

Postby RobertaSparrow » 04 Mar 2016, 12:12

That's an unusual one. I hadn't seen the interview part of that before, but the clips it was interspersed with were from much older clips previously seen. The interview notes said it's from 1980, and I think that's accurate, you can tell because Rory appears in his early 30s, but then they cut to the video of the gig where Rod De'ath first perform together in 1972. The interviewer prefaced his question with "you've just finished an Irish tour, have you been pleased with the response that you had? "

They do it again when they ask him what music he listens to himself, and he lists some contemporary (for 1980) music such as Elvis Costello, but the clip they cut to is from the mid '70s.

If you isolate the part of the interview that appears to be previously unreleased, or perhaps "rediscovered" in the archives, it is very short. It is as though the interview itself was part of a larger program that was previously seen, back in the day, and then perhaps stored away and rediscovered recently,but only a very short part of it was available, perhaps damage do to age of the tape or accidental partial erasure, and they had to find previous stock footage to pad it out. That's fine, I'm glad they re-released the interview, but I'm wondering what the entire video of original interview might have contained.

And I hope they find even more of these archived Rory interviews for us to see.

It's funny, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago, really, but in terms of the fragility of the medium these are stored on, it seems they are going the way of celluloid film and 8-track tape cartridges. :)

RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 04 Mar 2016, 16:33

It is like they took one Rory interview after Rory toured. They then show a footage of him at The Savoy, Cork in 1972 and of him playing acoustic guitar in 1977 and that is the "tour". :shock: That is a bit weird.
I would like to see the original full Rory interview from 1980 but you are right Cynthia it may have been damaged or destroyed.
I am grateful to see any "new" interview of Rory. Its good to see him healthy, well and talking here. Its always good to see that . Subrata. :D
SUBY1974

Postby Sinner Girl » 04 Mar 2016, 16:57

This clip is new to me thanks for sharing @suby
''When I was a cowboy out on the Western Plain''

''Being back home means a lot.A bit a peace and quiet and some rest . I write all my songs at home.Its an amazing thing, the minute I get here I begin to wright'
Rory Gallagher
Sinner Girl

Postby SUBY1974 » 04 Mar 2016, 18:01

:mrgreen:
SUBY1974

Postby ailish78 » 05 Mar 2016, 09:42

Thank you for the interview. It's great but alas too short. I wish they could find the rest.

Out on the Western Plain is a great song that just got better as Rory matured. I always enjoy listening to this :)

I'm watching a German documentary on you tube at the moment about Rory and they talk about his time with Taste. I didn't learn about the Taste era until much later on. I was too young at that time to take any heed of it. His music was so different then, don't you think? It was much more progressive and his vocals were much smoother. I wonderif there may be any other material hidden away from this era. Maybe the trauma of the split with Taste made him reject that form of music and made him decide to go back to the roots. It would have been nice to see what he would have come up with next.

I'm certainly not complaining! I'm so glad he chose the path he did. The man was just a genius.

Sorry if I diverge a little from the topic. Yes, I would love to see more interview material. That would be great! I love the one from the Rockpalast in 75 (or 76 I think). I don't know how often I've watched that. He looks so beautiful :)
ailish78

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM