RORY Working with Another Artist on level terms?

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

RORY Working with Another Artist on level terms?

Postby Jay Jay » 24 Feb 2016, 22:00

Rory worked on a few other artists albums. Most notably Muddy Waters and Jerry Lee Lewis. Plus many others..
Usually Rory only playing just on a few tracks and playing guitar parts?

I would like your thoughts on why Rory never did a joint collaboration one off album, on level terms. Especially from 80's onwards..
Say singing playing and composing with Phil Lynott or Jack Bruce or Maybe somebody else you could think of ???

Jay Jay

Re: RORY Working with Another Artist on level terms?

Postby M.felix » 24 Feb 2016, 23:22

I think Rory was not much of partnerships put Paul Rodgers the blues side, never understood why he did not call Rory for album in tribute Muddy Walters, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen.
M.felix

Postby RobertaSparrow » 25 Feb 2016, 03:59

I have often wondered about that myself. It is fairly common these days for artists to have perhaps a "primary" band, but then have side projects or collaborations with other artists, but it wasn't all that common back then. I know it was done, but not like these days where young successful artists may have two or three side bands and also produce for other upcoming artists.

Then again, Rory seemed to really thrive on playing for a live audience, and not be that into studio work. Perhaps that is why, because he had his cadre of regular backing musicians who knew his work and could support him so he could work within his comfort zone. True, he did often have "guest" musicians come up and play with him, but these seemed almost impromptu, and spontaneous. And often with mixed results. Some truly brilliant shows have been saved for future audiences, such as the pairing with Jack Bruce and the recordings with Phil Lynott, and that moment when he asked Slash to join him on stage.

But there have also been those encores where so many people, lead guitarists in particular, got on stage with him that they got in each others' way and the results are disappointing.

His studio collaborations are wonderful, and perhaps if he had regained his health he would have done more of them, but he just seemed to really love playing for the fans more than working in the studio. IMO.

RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 25 Feb 2016, 16:09

My guess would be because while Rory enjoyed guesting on other peoples work as a session player, he was unable or unwilling to share a whole project with another whos visions or tastes were different than his. For example, look at the amount of frustration and grief he had sharing his musical vision with first Roger Glover on "Calling Card", and then Elliot Mazer on the aborted album Rory threw in the bin ( later known as "Notes From San Francisco"). Rory liked being the boss, in all things, and thats why I think he never tried a true collaborative effort with another. But, alas, maybe he just ran out of time, and had he lived he may have put aside his misgivings and tried it. Anyway.............
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Feb 2016, 22:08

I was thinking on this, and considering- One pairing that i would have loved to have heard, Gary Moore and Rory. I know they were friends, and that Gary was one who visited Rory during some of his roughest times. Sadly they are both gone now, but I wonder now, hindsight being 20/20, but that would have been a good collaboration, and maybe a supportive friend such as Gary could have helped rally Rory through the darker times when his health was failing. Judging solely from what I have read, Rory was a hero to a lot of musicians who admired him, and perhaps that was something of a limit. IMO I think their styles would have complemented each other.

Flash forward to the present-

I'd love to see someone like Dan Aurebach cover Rory's stuff. Rory could have taught him much. :mrgreen:

P.S. Anyone else see the irony in how, when one is feeling down, how a blisteringly good blues can actually lift the spirits?
RobertaSparrow

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Feb 2016, 00:12

I would have love to hear Rory Gallagher and Jimi Hendrix play together or even record a few songs together. That would have been awesome. Two of the greatest electric guitarists in the world! Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby M.felix » 27 Feb 2016, 00:15

I prefer Derek Trucks, I think it best guitarist Dan Auerbach and has a very smooth slide work and has more to do with Rory, Derek reminds me Rory in some more concentrated moments just playing, Derek is not a fireball in stage as was Rory, Derek me is more the profile of Rory.
M.felix

Postby SUBY1974 » 27 Feb 2016, 00:23

Rory did play on Peter Green album for friends in 1994 . I think I will get that album. There is a lovely photo of Rory down at the Chelsea Arms pub with a friend after recording at The Roundhouse in Camden, London. I think they were working on the Peter Green album. My work colleagues and I visit the pub after work and it still has same layout. I look at the spot where Rory sat. Sorry I digress. Yes Peter Green and Rory Gallagher collaboration is an interesting one. Subrata.x
https://youtu.be/dagtq4cFn3k
https://youtu.be/tCw2EvDa-JM
Rattlesnake Guitar The Album of Peter Green. I think Peter dedicated the album to Rory.
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 27 Feb 2016, 01:04, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby M.felix » 27 Feb 2016, 00:43

Rory was a fan of Peter Green, I forgot that Rory participated in the album, yes it's true it would be a partnership would be a good and very interesting. Anyone know if you have any recording of Rory with Roland Van Campenhout time Rory lived in Belgium not the songs that are on Wheels Within Wheels. his partnership with Juan Martin this album is what I like most, has some recording with Juan Martin without being the one on the album.
M.felix

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Feb 2016, 02:37

M.felix wrote:Rory was a fan of Peter Green, I forgot that Rory participated in the album, yes it's true it would be a partnership would be a good and very interesting. Anyone know if you have any recording of Rory with Roland Van Campenhout time Rory lived in Belgium not the songs that are on Wheels Within Wheels. his partnership with Juan Martin this album is what I like most, has some recording with Juan Martin without being the one on the album.

I agree, a pairing with Peter Green and Rory would have been extraodinary. He admired Peter Green, and Peter Green was very impressed with Rory's interpretations of his music:

Leaving Town Blues

Showbiz Blues

Interview with Peter Green-

http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/qa/petergreen_qa2.htm

Excerpt:

Question: Rory Gallagher covered a couple of your songs on "Rattlesnake Guitar" What did you think of his mandolin version of "Leaving Town Blues" and would you ever cover one of his songs on a possible tribute album to Rory Gallagher in the future? Finally, I live in Montreal, Canada. Will you be doing a cross Canadian tour anytime soon? (Jeff D'Costa, Montreal, Quebec, Canada)

Answer: ". . . I thought Rory's version of "Leaving Town Blues" was the best track on the album, maybe I will return the tribute one day."

It would be wonderful if someday Peter Green would cover Rory's music. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM