Rory and Gerry / RG Band members together again

№1 RORY FORUM PAGE. For Rory Gallagher. Discuss Rory related things with respect always!

Re: Rory and Gerry / RG Band members together again

Postby AnnaMaria » 20 Feb 2016, 12:30

Jay Jay, I would say it´s because of the book he wrote and he´s the one who Rory "hired" the longest time so he ought to know Rory quite well. If that´s true or not, I don´t know. And the second reason might be because he´s still alive. And the third reason might be because people are angry with him about playing Rory Music (making Money from it)

Sorry for using the Word "fired" :oops: . I just got the impression when reading that Lou and Rod felt fired but ofcourse it could be that Rory just didn´t renew their contracts.

But back to the main question I Think that the older a person gets the more important it is to put a stop to old quarrels and so on. After years of break up it can be fun to renew friendship again and dig down the axe (or what you call it over there) I Think Rory had his regrets the older he got. Maybet things didn´t matter or hurt as much as when he was Younger anylonger. Maybe he could se his own fault in some questions. He changed through the years and so did his former bandmates. Maybe it`s my own romantic view but I hoped he could play with them all, if he wanted to ofcourse.
AnnaMaria

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Feb 2016, 16:37

Jay Jay wrote:PS. As a thought to my last post here's a question for all you RORY FANS..

With great respect to ALL the other great musicians who played in The RORY GALLAGHER Band ..

Why does Gerry always seem to get singled out from all the others??

IMO Gerry is more of a pragmatist, and remained with Rory as long as he saw an advantage to it. Gerry's association with Rory lasted for a longer time than average, and that is the reason he is sought after by Rory's fans as some sort of heir to Rory's sound.

When Gerry saw Rory as vulnerable- when Rory's health was failing, again IMO is when he decided to bail; when he saw that perhaps he could strike out on his own and be as successful doing his own music. That didn't pan out so well.

Years later, after Rory's death, he saw his opportunity, he wrote his book, then he saw an opportunity to re-form with one of Rory's previous drummers and do a Rory tribute band that he says is not a tribute band.

I don't think Rory would hold a grudge and refuse to play with Gerry if he had recovered from his surgery and gone on with his career, maybe as a nostalgia sort of tour, but I think Rory would have sought out musicians more challenging to his own creativity for his more serious work. And again, I point to that magnificent paring of Rory with Jack Bruce, that was the sort of inspirational dynamic that brought out the competitive nature to Rory's playing- that and the enthusiasm of the live audience spurring him on.

And I like to think that he would have corroborated with many of the younger musicians emerging on the scene today. If he had recovered from his surgery and was still with us in this world he would have added another 20 years' worth of new material to his repertoire.
RobertaSparrow

Postby M.felix » 20 Feb 2016, 16:58

you touch a point interesting Roberta, or rather on two points: Gerry has not been well sucessido when I leave Rory and have written the book for cash and have formed one tribute band, when I read the book he always complains about money and it was clear to me this financial issue unresolved when he set up the band to "celebrate Rory's music" as he prefers to speak.
M.felix

Postby M.felix » 20 Feb 2016, 17:27

Gerry in the book claims Rory never have been interested and even though he insisted on making a partnership, to have a song together with Rory, good thing I realized in Rory was his good sense, his critical analysis of what was happening around him, if he had seen Gerry potential for a partnership think he would have tried in my view Rory knew far as he could with his musicians.
M.felix

Postby capo » 20 Feb 2016, 21:47

Gee, this thread seems mighty familiar. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
capo

Postby CiaSeattle » 20 Feb 2016, 22:10

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9
CiaSeattle

Postby RobertaSparrow » 20 Feb 2016, 23:27

capo wrote:Gee, this thread seems mighty familiar. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah, I was thinking the same.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I really am not trying to come down hard on Gerry. I just think that Rory's talents really needed someone more dynamic anyway. As far as Gerry sharing any co-writing credit for Rory's work, he did no more or less than any other member of Rory's other hired musicians. Just as Paul McCartney "wrote" the bass lines for George Harrison's music in the Beatles, and took no more than his fair share of the credit, neither is Gerry entitled to claim more than his working association with Rory, IMO. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby M.felix » 21 Feb 2016, 01:10

Well Mike love not written a song in Pet Sounds and sued the Brain Wilson by credits of the songs, when I read the biography of the first time remembered this detail, by the way always been against him claiming credit for the songs.
M.felix

Postby M.felix » 21 Feb 2016, 01:16

Sorry you can not compare with Gerry Paul, there is a gulf between them.
M.felix wrote:Well Mike love not written a song in Pet Sounds and sued the Brain Wilson by credits of the songs, when I read the biography of the first time remembered this detail, by the way always been against him claiming credit for the songs.
M.felix

Postby AnnaMaria » 21 Feb 2016, 13:39

No,I did not say that Gerry deserves more attention because he played for such a long time with Rory. I just said he OUGHT to know Rory quite good after such a long time together and that´s why we keep nagging on with Gerry and Rory and Rory and Gerry and Gerry did that and Rory said that and....

Capo, I Think you are into something very important here. We are just going around i cicles :mrgreen: You make me laugh!

So, honestly friends. I have a question for you. I have never Heard Gerry playing exept with Rory. I´ve never Heard his Friends (?) Band. Are they good? Worth listening to?
AnnaMaria

PreviousNext

Return to • RORY GALLAGHER • TASTE•FUL • HOMEPAGE