photo question

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

photo question

Postby CiaSeattle » 01 Feb 2016, 17:06

Just a trivial question...does anyone know when the photo of Rory on the back of the Marcus Connaughton book was taken or anything about it? It's one of my favorite pictures of him, he looks to be in his mid thirties, but hard to tell with Rory. It's the only one I've seen with so much of the natural grey in his hair, very striking! I've always wondered why he started dyeing his hair, from what I've read of him, it seems a bit out of character that he would care about something like grey hair. Anyway, I know it's a silly girl question, but hey...I'm a girl (albeit a very old one) so gimme a break! :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CiaSeattle

Re: photo question

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Feb 2016, 20:14

CiaSeattle wrote:It's one of my favorite pictures of him, he looks to be in his mid thirties, but hard to tell with Rory. It's the only one I've seen with so much of the natural grey in his hair, very striking!

Hi Cia...
I'd say that photo was from around 1984. Which would make Rory 36. Last of the times of when Rory looked quite fit and healthy :) The time before he started to look more rounded/ bloated faced. As we know now due to all the prescribed medication he was taking thereafter :(
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 01 Feb 2016, 22:11

Rory a bit upset or unhappy on photo...did he?
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby CiaSeattle » 02 Feb 2016, 03:27

Jay Jay wrote:
CiaSeattle wrote:It's one of my favorite pictures of him, he looks to be in his mid thirties, but hard to tell with Rory. It's the only one I've seen with so much of the natural grey in his hair, very striking!

Hi Cia...
I'd say that photo was from around 1984. Which would make Rory 36. Last of the times of when Rory looked quite fit and healthy :) The time before he started to look more rounded/ bloated faced. As we know now due to all the prescribed medication he was taking thereafter :(

Thank you Jay Jay. I'm sure you're right about the timeline, in the photos and videos I've seen from 1985 his face is starting to get rounder and the grey has been covered up.
CiaSeattle

Postby CiaSeattle » 02 Feb 2016, 03:32

JimLED wrote:Rory a bit upset or unhappy on photo...did he?

I have to respectfully disagree, Jim. I don't see the sadness in his eyes that is there in later photos, to me he looks focused and determined...a man who knows what he wants and where he's going, before the insecurity and depression set in. I guess that's why it's one of my favorites.
CiaSeattle

Postby Lee61 » 02 Feb 2016, 05:26

I think this photo was taken around 1983 when Rory played the Lisdoonvarna Festival in Ireland.
Pretty sure it has something about that on the inside back of the dust jacket of this book....and
I agree CiaSeattle it looks as though he is quite happy, just concentrating on what he has to do
it is a great shot.
Lee61

Postby Jay Jay » 02 Feb 2016, 09:29

Lee61 wrote:I think this photo was taken around 1983 when Rory played the Lisdoonvarna Festival in Ireland.
Pretty sure it has something about that on the inside back of the dust jacket of this book....and
I agree CiaSeattle it looks as though he is quite happy, just concentrating on what he has to do
it is a great shot.

You are correct Lee.. July 31, 1983 to be precise, making Rory 35.. I've just looked at the back of Marcus's book :)
Photo was taken by Colm Henry
Jay Jay

Postby CiaSeattle » 02 Feb 2016, 16:29

Thanks everyone! I don't have the book, but I ran a search referencing Lisdoonvarna and found another taken at the same time from the Marcus book. I think I'll have to get the book just for the photos if nothing else!
CiaSeattle

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM