Rory Gallagher and his band Taste almost played Woodstock

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Postby roryfan » 09 Nov 2015, 01:12

From today's Irish Times 11/8/15
john g

Film of Taste at Isle of Wight a year later to screen at Cork Film Festival next week
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/ ... -1.2422156
roryfan

Re: Rory Gallagher and his band Taste almost played Woodstoc

Postby RobertaSparrow » 09 Nov 2015, 02:42

It would have made quite a difference to Rory's career. Isle of Wight certainly was as impressive as Woodstock in its time, but on this side of the Atlantic, Woodstock seems to be the one that people remember.

Same with the movie The Last Waltz, the movie about The Band. I had heard that Rory had an opportunity to perform for that, and I know he would have been amazing. Another "if only."
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 09 Nov 2015, 06:02

I doubt if Taste would have played if they did go to Woodstock. If you remember, the lineup already was full, and with all the rain delays, Jimi Hendrix, instead of playing the final slot Sunday Night, did not start his set till about 9am Monday morning, with only maybe 10,000 people still there to witness it. Plus, Taste was an unknown band, and Woodstock, while featuring some breakout performances from newer performers, had established bands in the lineup. Same with The Last Waltz. The performers that Robbie Robertson and the Band picked all had some kind of connection with them. Like backing early in their history Ronnie Hawkins and later Bob Dylan, or fellow Canadians like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell , or major influences like Muddy Waters, ect., or just friends like Eric Clapton and Van Morrison. Again, a very full line up, and while they may have admired Rory, I don't think there was any more room for someone who did'nt meet the above criteria. Just my opinion.
capo

Postby folkdeejay » 09 Nov 2015, 15:50

capo wrote:I doubt if Taste would have played if they did go to Woodstock. If you remember, the lineup already was full, and with all the rain delays, Jimi Hendrix, instead of playing the final slot Sunday Night, did not start his set till about 9am Monday morning, with only maybe 10,000 people still there to witness it. Plus, Taste was an unknown band, and Woodstock, while featuring some breakout performances from newer performers, had established bands in the lineup. Same with The Last Waltz. The performers that Robbie Robertson and the Band picked all had some kind of connection with them. Like backing early in their history Ronnie Hawkins and later Bob Dylan, or fellow Canadians like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell , or major influences like Muddy Waters, ect., or just friends like Eric Clapton and Van Morrison. Again, a very full line up, and while they may have admired Rory, I don't think there was any more room for someone who did'nt meet the above criteria. Just my opinion.

I agree about Woodstock - but I think The Last Waltz was a surefire invitation - but Rory chose to honour an existing booking. I have read this on more than one occasion. Also, Dylan was a fan, and Rory had already toured with and played on the same bill as others there... they would have known Rory and seen him as a peer.

Like some other major decisions in all phases of his career - it was his to make, but was probably the wrong one. Hard to see the reason for this - not letting down 200 fans in a nearby college show is honourable, but I suggest all of them would gladly see RG on a bigger international stage ( and in this case, at the cinema soon after) and re-arranged the gig - he was over there a lot back then - it could/should have been arranged.

Hindsight is, of course, a wonderful thing.
folkdeejay

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM