Rattlesnake Guitar

Rory Gallagher No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby CiaSeattle » 05 Oct 2015, 15:43

I was checking out the reviews on this album on Amazon, found what I thought was an amusing story from one of the reviewers: "

"I got to meet Peter Green when he was with the Splinter Group in San Diego (9/11/98) and I asked him directly how he liked this. He said that he didn't then said, "...oh, except for Rory's (tracks)." :P
User avatar
CiaSeattle
 
Posts: 208
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 05:48

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby ailish78 » 21 Apr 2016, 15:37

Yes I had heard this too :D I was actually thinking of buying it because Rory's contribution is really great. Wasn't Peter Green fantastic in the first Fleetwood Mac? In an interview Rory made some time in the 80s I heard him say something like it was a shame what happened to Fleetwood Mac and that the new commercial pop Mac was nothing like the original bluesy one that Peter Green had made. I used to like FM as a teenager and this made me curious. I had never heard the original, so when I went to search out some original stuff I was blown away. This is definitely not the same band! Thank you Rory for pointing me in this direction. :D
User avatar
ailish78
 
Posts: 276
Joined: 28 Feb 2016, 20:17
Location: Europe

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby CiaSeattle » 21 Apr 2016, 16:50

I certainly agree with Rory when he said they should have changed the name once the band went in a direction so far removed from the original when they added Nicks and Buckingham. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie had both played with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, and Chrstine McVie (prior to marrying McVie, she was Christine Perfect) was with Chicken Shack so the three of them all had some solid blues credentials, the switch to commercial was quite a surprise to fans of the original band.

Speaking of Chicken Shack, I think guitarist Stan Webb is a fine player and deserves a bit more recognition. If you've not heard him, here's a link. I'm curious to hear what other Rory fans think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F44obboXIWE
User avatar
CiaSeattle
 
Posts: 208
Joined: 24 Jan 2015, 05:48

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Apr 2016, 00:15

Here's an interview where you can hear Rory telling it:

At about 08:00



He speaks of the original incarnation of Fleetwood Mac vs. the post '77 reincarnation of Fleetwood Mac. I understand completely what he is saying. I had some of their earliest albums, then someone gave me the album Rumours, and I listened to it, stared at the album cover for a while, then got out my "real" Fleetwood Mac albums and I couldn't believe this was the same band. Rory is right, they really should have changed the name. :lol: Cinzano Music?!!!

The Fleetwood Mac I expected to hear:

Oh Well


The Fleetwood Mac from another dimension:

Go Your Own Way


How many die hard Mac fans suffered whiplash looking from album to album?
User avatar
RobertaSparrow
 
Posts: 3246
Joined: 04 May 2012, 23:13
Location: Oregon

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby bronyr » 22 Apr 2016, 03:58

CiaSeattle wrote:I was checking out the reviews on this album on Amazon, found what I thought was an amusing story from one of the reviewers: "

"I got to meet Peter Green when he was with the Splinter Group in San Diego (9/11/98) and I asked him directly how he liked this. He said that he didn't then said, "...oh, except for Rory's (tracks)." :P

Thanks for this! I always wondered if there was any word out there on what PG thought of Rory's contributions. I listen to Rory's songs from this on spotify a lot. I haven't heard the rest of the recording. What do you think of it?
bronyr
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 Feb 2015, 07:01

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby bronyr » 22 Apr 2016, 04:02

ailish78 wrote:Yes I had heard this too :D I was actually thinking of buying it because Rory's contribution is really great. Wasn't Peter Green fantastic in the first Fleetwood Mac? In an interview Rory made some time in the 80s I heard him say something like it was a shame what happened to Fleetwood Mac and that the new commercial pop Mac was nothing like the original bluesy one that Peter Green had made. I used to like FM as a teenager and this made me curious. I had never heard the original, so when I went to search out some original stuff I was blown away. This is definitely not the same band! Thank you Rory for pointing me in this direction. :D


I know, me too! I didn't know until, oh probably the 90s, that there was a Fleetwood Mac Mach I. I think I found out because I was looking into who wrote the song Oh Well. I think Rory said something like "I'll probably get knifed in the alley, but.." when he was complaining about FM not changing the name. I like "both" bands very much, but prefer the original. Peter is right up there, for me, with Ry, Rory, Jimmy, Jimi, and Django.
bronyr
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 Feb 2015, 07:01

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby bronyr » 22 Apr 2016, 04:05

CiaSeattle wrote:I certainly agree with Rory when he said they should have changed the name once the band went in a direction so far removed from the original when they added Nicks and Buckingham. Mick Fleetwood and John McVie had both played with John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, and Chrstine McVie (prior to marrying McVie, she was Christine Perfect) was with Chicken Shack so the three of them all had some solid blues credentials, the switch to commercial was quite a surprise to fans of the original band.

Speaking of Chicken Shack, I think guitarist Stan Webb is a fine player and deserves a bit more recognition. If you've not heard him, here's a link. I'm curious to hear what other Rory fans think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F44obboXIWE

I was just listening to "I'd Rather Go Blind" yesterday. They were a great band. CiaSeattle, that drumming in Sweetest Little Thing sounds a bit like Fleetwood himself. Do you know who's drumming? Great stuff.
bronyr
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 Feb 2015, 07:01

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby bronyr » 22 Apr 2016, 04:09

RobertaSparrow wrote:Here's an interview where you can hear Rory telling it:

At about 08:00



He speaks of the original incarnation of Fleetwood Mac vs. the post '77 reincarnation of Fleetwood Mac. I understand completely what he is saying. I had some of their earliest albums, then someone gave me the album Rumours, and I listened to it, stared at the album cover for a while, then got out my "real" Fleetwood Mac albums and I couldn't believe this was the same band. Rory is right, they really should have changed the name. :lol: Cinzano Music?!!!

The Fleetwood Mac I expected to hear:

Oh Well


The Fleetwood Mac from another dimension:

Go Your Own Way


How many die hard Mac fans suffered whiplash looking from album to album?


So true, Cynthia! But what exactly did he mean by Cinzano music? lol
bronyr
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 Feb 2015, 07:01

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Apr 2016, 04:57

bronyr wrote:
So true, Cynthia! But what exactly did he mean by Cinzano music? lol


:mrgreen: Well, I am guessing, but I don't think Rory meant it as a compliment. Cinzano being a type of vermouth, an apéritif, is, I would say, not a bluesman's drink. Perhaps he meant it as a pretentious sort of drink to parallel a pretentious form of music as compared to the hard-driving blues that Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac were known for. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a guess.

User avatar
RobertaSparrow
 
Posts: 3246
Joined: 04 May 2012, 23:13
Location: Oregon

Re: Rattlesnake Guitar

Postby bronyr » 22 Apr 2016, 05:00

RobertaSparrow wrote:
bronyr wrote:
So true, Cynthia! But what exactly did he mean by Cinzano music? lol


:mrgreen: Well, I am guessing, but I don't think Rory meant it as a compliment. Cinzano being a type of vermouth, an apéritif, is, I would say, not a bluesman's drink. Perhaps he meant it as a pretentious sort of drink to parallel a pretentious form of music as compared to the hard-driving blues that Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac were known for. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a guess.


Definitely not a compliment :) Great analogy! I love his use of descriptive wording.
bronyr
 
Posts: 107
Joined: 20 Feb 2015, 07:01

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 6 guests