TASTE ~ Their Final Gig?

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

TASTE ~ Their Final Gig?

Postby capo » 21 Sep 2015, 13:34

There's a question, that I thought would have been settled by now, of when was Taste's final gig played. It's always been told as New Years Eve 1970 at Queens University in Belfast. Donal states as much in Dan Muise's Rory book, and in every interview I have ever read about the subject. Donal, as much as anyone, should know. But, in checking Joachim Matz's authoritative Rory Timeline on RoryON.com, he has Taste's last show, on October 24, 1970, also at Belfast's Queens University. This makes more sense, as the date is the final one in Taste's farewell tour, dating from the IOW gig through September and October. Why would Taste wait a full two months after finishing their final tour to play one last show on New Years Eve? Can someone clear this up?
capo

Re: When Was Taste's Final Gig?

Postby Jay Jay » 22 Sep 2015, 11:52

Well Capo, I always thought it was 24 October 1970 look here on link below..
Newspaper clippings confirm also, on this old topic I put up in 2012

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2833&hilit=Taste+Farewell
Jay Jay

Postby capo » 22 Sep 2015, 12:15

Yes indeed, you have covered this Jay Jay. I'm chagrined to admit I forgot to check our own sites definitive Rory day by day thread! :oops: I wonder why though nearly every recent Taste related article states New Years Eve 1970 as the final show? Donal also always mentions the New Years date. Well, he can be forgiven, it was a very long time ago. No harm. Peace.
capo

Postby capo » 22 Sep 2015, 12:55

Not to beat a dead horse, but Nigel Williamson, in his essay on Taste's history in the new box set, says, "Taste disbanded after playing a farewell show in Belfast on New Year's Eve 1970". The myth of a dramatic New Year's show has now been accepted as fact among many, it seems. No real harm but facts are facts. Maybe people are remembering some of Rory's historic Belfast New Year's shows he later did as a solo artist and confusing it Taste's last show. It makes more interesting history I guess. Anyway.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 22 Sep 2015, 14:28

Capo you got me thinking now.. I'm still not 100% sure myself now whether or not Oct 24th was the last Taste gig..

As I think I saw on FB a Rory fan mention a few weeks ago some other dates, that may have happened after that October date??
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 22 Sep 2015, 22:08

Jay Jay wrote:Capo you got me thinking now.. I'm still not 100% sure myself now whether or not Oct 24th was the last Taste gig..

As I think I saw on FB a Rory fan mention a few weeks ago some other dates, that may have happened after that October date??

I would tend to doubt it, there must have been a lot of tension, and although they did play together again after IOW, New Year's Eve seems quite a way in time after IOW.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 27 Sep 2015, 17:42

Here is a picture of Rory waving goodbye at his final gig with Taste at Queen's Uni :(

Last Taste.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Postby Mandyl » 11 Oct 2015, 12:29

Just watched the interview with Daniel about the IOW DVD and he said Taste were contracted to finish the tour by Polydor and that finished on New Years Eve. It was an uncomfortable few months.
Mandyl

Postby no_noise_reduction » 11 Oct 2015, 13:06

well, this is confusing. we have a date for the Queen's University gig in October, 1970. the timeline at roryon.com does not mention any Taste date after that one. also the legendary lost tv footage from that last Taste show seems to be from the October date. apparently Donal is very confident about that New Year's Eve show but I'd really like to see something like a newspaper clipping for that one.
no_noise_reduction

Postby no_noise_reduction » 11 Oct 2015, 13:13

check out this article from Oct 17, 1970.
http://www.roryon.com/tastesplit202.html
after reading that one it does not seem to me a Taste show almost three months later is very likely. apart from Donal Gallagher's statements there seems to be no evidence at all for the New Year's Eve show.
no_noise_reduction

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM