Donal Gallagher On BBC Radio 6 with Cerys Matthews

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Donal Gallagher On BBC Radio 6 with Cerys Matthews

Postby Jay Jay » 06 Sep 2015, 19:09

Donal speaks about Rory to Cerys Matthews on BBC Radio 6 today

Fast forward to 1.05 when Donal comes on the show ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b068yfx1#play

Rock On for Rory
Jay Jay

Re: Donal Gallagher On BBC Radio 6 with Cerys Matthews

Postby SUBY1974 » 06 Sep 2015, 21:49

This was such a moving radio interview by Donal and Cerys. Thankyou Cerys for always giving airplay for Rory. I did not know that Rory cried when the paintwork came of his guitar when he polished it, not knowing that his sweat was acting as a paintstripper. I found it so moving he asked the harpist Maire Ni Chathasaigh to play Carolan's Fairwell at Troubadour. When I am at the Troubadour again for a Literature night, I will remember this. It is a lovely place and full or history. It has great energy and I know one Rory's favourite places in London. I have been off LT forum for a bit and will be so for a while longer. I have been off work and down in Cornwall. I have ordered all Taste box set and IOW DVD. I will come back to LT soon. There have been many personal changes in my life right now. In the meantime may Rory's flame continue to burn brighter then ever. Its lovely to hear this interview before I go back to work, and wonderful things said about Rory. Lot of new things as well like liking the song Summer In City. In the 90s I am sure some of the words were used in dance songs of era. It tells me Rory loved music ahead of his time. Thanks Jay Jay for posting. Having a BBC I player on my phone is very good. This phone continuously keeps me in touch with Rory and his music. Its like he is with me all the time. I just love his voice. Subrata.x It was a pity Troubadour barred Rory. All he was doing was getting into the spirit of the music! X
Last edited by SUBY1974 on 06 Sep 2015, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
SUBY1974

Postby SUBY1974 » 06 Sep 2015, 22:06

The other thing it is nice to hear of Donal's memory of Rory receiving his first acoustic guitar and how excited he was. I am reading Buddy Guy's autobiography right now and he speaks of receiving his first Harmony acoustic guitar from a family friend and how he loved it. I am practicing my acoustic Spanish guitar right now and I bought for £16 from Argos store in 2005. I was very excited by it,I remember. Guitars are magical. Lonnie Donegan never lost that feeling either! Anyway, thankyou Donal and Daniel for the Taste Boxset and IOW DVD. Subrata.x Its also great how Rory toughened up his hands in cold water to play guitar,like his father did before boxing. X
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 07 Sep 2015, 13:28

I would really like to see a list of the titles and artists in Rory's own music collection. If I had the chance to ask a favor of Donal, I would certainly like to see that list, just as we saw some of his book collection.

From what I have read and heard about Rory, and the interviews I've heard of him, I bet I could reasonably predict what and who I would find in his collection. :D

And I found it amusing that Donal relayed that folk tale about the Church frowning on dancing during lent, the story of the girl dancing with a man and looking down and seeing he had cloven hooves.

The elder relatives on the Mexican side of my family used to tell a very similar cautionary tale, a willful young woman disobeys her parents, sneaks out and goes to a dance hall, and dances with a handsome young man, they begin to dance faster, and she looks down to see his feet are cloven hooves, then a ring of fire engulfs them both in a flash and they disappear. :lol: :lol: :lol:
RobertaSparrow

Postby Lee61 » 07 Sep 2015, 23:59

Great stuff...really enjoyed this and Donal's choice of music.
Lee61

Postby CiaSeattle » 08 Sep 2015, 16:11

Always nice to hear Donal. I found Summer in the City to be an interesting choice. I remember both the song and the band (Lovin' Spoonful) very well, I had a couple of their albums. As I was born the same year as Rory, we would have both been 18 years old when this song came out in 1966. I'm curious as well to know what else was in his collection that I might have been listening to at the same time.
CiaSeattle

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM