Interview with Rory and Frankie Miller?

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Interview with Rory and Frankie Miller?

Postby CiaSeattle » 16 Aug 2015, 17:42

I stumbled (my usual method of internet browsing) across a series of photos taken by Rudi Gerlach which appear to be an interview with Rory and Frankie Miller. Is there a video or written transcript of this interview? It looks as if they are both having a good time. Here is the link, hopefully it works.

http://www.rory.de/rudi/1986/
CiaSeattle

Re: Interview with Rory and Frankie Miller?

Postby JimLED » 16 Aug 2015, 19:01

I heard early about this session. Next photo was taken from tape. Look at the subscription... it's the movie, 100%. But who now the owner of the tape we're never know. Most invisible collectors doesn't like to share their own collection.
I think the owner is the Joachim Matz or Larry Miller.

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Madrid74 » 16 Aug 2015, 19:30

Here the video, not the best image quality but audio is ok

Enjoy

Madrid74

Postby capo » 17 Aug 2015, 01:01

Good job Madrid74! I could'nt find it on Youtube. Watching it, I'm pretty sure Rory did'nt need to wait for the English translation, as I recall Donal saying that from all of his years in playing and recording in Germany, from Taste days on, Rory had acquired a good working knowledge of German. It would have been interesting to hear Rory speak Germany with his Irish accent. :)
capo

Postby CiaSeattle » 17 Aug 2015, 06:25

Thank you Madrid! I discovered Frankie Miller through watching the Rockpalast videos, wish there were more of the two of them together.
CiaSeattle

Postby Vincent » 17 Aug 2015, 16:29

Me too! Then I found out he worked with Robin Trower (one of my other favourite guitarists) too in the early 70ies! Sadly there are no recordings available.

I really think his voice suited Rory's guitar playing. Lucky us we got the Rockpalast DVDs!
Vincent

Postby no_noise_reduction » 18 Aug 2015, 14:06

JimLED wrote:I heard early about this session. Next photo was taken from tape. Look at the subscription... it's the movie, 100%. But who now the owner of the tape we're never know. Most invisible collectors doesn't like to share their own collection.

The "owner" of this footage is German tv channel WDR. This was a Rockpalast one off special before the series was stopped in 1986. Why they did not put it on the Rockpalast DVD set I don't know, but it's not the only thing missing.
Rudi Gerlach was not only a friend of Rory but also a camera man for WDR who also worked for Rockpalast I think. This is where he got the tape from.
no_noise_reduction

Postby RobertaSparrow » 18 Aug 2015, 17:20

no_noise_reduction wrote:
JimLED wrote:I heard early about this session. Next photo was taken from tape. Look at the subscription... it's the movie, 100%. But who now the owner of the tape we're never know. Most invisible collectors doesn't like to share their own collection.

The "owner" of this footage is German tv channel WDR. This was a Rockpalast one off special before the series was stopped in 1986. Why they did not put it on the Rockpalast DVD set I don't know, but it's not the only thing missing.
Rudi Gerlach was not only a friend of Rory but also a camera man for WDR who also worked for Rockpalast I think. This is where he got the tape from.

I'm glad it was saved and released. Hopefully the release of the IOW tape will encourage more of these archived videos to be released.
RobertaSparrow

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM