RORY ~ Could've Had Religion & Marriage

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: RORY ~ Could've Had Religion & Marriage

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Aug 2015, 17:29

Mark, no one said Rory didn't have friends. As far as who posts what where and which assortment of Rory fans at any given time has more or less validity than any others is IMO one of those across the board constant ongoing debates that I see on ALL the Rory fan sites, and I mean ALL of them. The biggest problem for all of these forums, including the FB sites, is that we have been going round and round all with the same idea, to keep Rory in mind, keep new people hearing his music.

We post and repost the photos, the bootlegs, pictures of old flyers, memorabilia but the simple fact is, Rory is no longer here, he and his music affected us all, on all these media, enough to spend all this time and energy keeping his memory alive, all these many years after the last time any of us saw him, and a lot of people who never saw him are just now becoming aware of his music.

Yeah, people speculate, they wonder, they retell, and why do we all do that?

I grow weary of all this drawing up of sides, and all these little micro alliances that form and reform, all the little dramas and controversies that keep popping up like whack-a-mole puppets all over the web.

Jay Jay wasn't asking why Rory didn't have any friends. He had plenty of friends, he had fans whom he saw a lot of times. I would go so far as to speculate that every one of the forums, FB pages, and websites are visited by people who knew him really well, some who maybe got to see him play but never had the opportunity to meet him, and all the new people who maybe saw him on YouTube or some rock or blues documentary and were driven to listen to more of his music, learn more about the man.

These forums, this world wide web, is where we all meet up to talk about this extraordinary, amazingly gifted artist. That's what these forums are for, to gather around and exchange thoughts and stories.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Aug 2015, 17:35

CiaSeattle wrote:One of the things I find amazing about Rory is the tremendous amount of feeling, not just on a music level, but a personal one as well, that he brings out in us. As much as I love a lot of other musicians, I've never been as moved by their stories as I have with Rory. When I first found his music on youtube a couple of years ago, of course I started looking for more. Then I found the Ghost Blues documentary and was stunned to find that I felt grief over the death of someone I had never met. What an amazing man to touch people so deeply, people who never met him and many like myself who never experienced the joy of seeing him play live. He is definitely one in a million.

Great post Cia and a very warm welcome :)

Mark (photofinish) are you taking medication for that shoulder injury?
Remember everybody is entitled to their opinion on the subject as long as there is respect shown to RORY and ALL.

Btw Olav, Mark has seen these pictures I'm sure of Rory with (mention no names) but I'm sure the lady wouldn't mind.
She has told many now. That it was not just a quick photo opportunity with Rory. She has many photo of her times shared with Rory. As I said at start of topic. It was a proper date.. where Rory the gentleman that he was. Took her out for the evening for a meal or whatever?
Jay Jay

Postby AnnaMaria » 12 Aug 2015, 17:43

I Think we all want to rewrite Rorys story because of the way he left and that after have been ill for about ten years. You don´t want your heroes to fade away in pain and still young in the shades like that.

I Think when he was on top he put his career first. He didn´t want to be hold back by a wife or Children. He was a very free spirit I Think. Didn´t want to get tied down and the only responsebility he wanted was to be on stage in time, on the right day, in the right Town.
Then when he got ill he had other things to Think about than women. The medicin was mixing his head up (or what did Donal say?), he had all sorts of phobias and wasn´t feeling well at all. When you are in that state you don´t go around thinking about starting a family. You just try to find a way to survive and keep your feet on the ground.

I didn´t know there were women who says they were having a relationship with him back then. Sad, if it is not true.
AnnaMaria

Postby capo » 12 Aug 2015, 17:46

Nah, I won't respond after all. I like my "drivel", and others too. Life is too short. Know what I mean. ;)
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Aug 2015, 18:08

capo wrote:Nah, I won't respond after all. I like my "drivel", and others too. Life is too short. Know what I mean. ;)

Capo, can't be that bad a drivel as it's the fastest response to a topic we've had in weeks :D

Well since the Taste Live @ the Isle of Wight release topic that is :D

For me what brought this topic of "marriage" up I suppose. Is thinking about Rory needing a wife / partner in his last "Lonely Mile". To have comforted him in his final months/ weeks in this world. By all accounts from what Donal tells the nurses and staff were very good at the hospital. Yet it ain't the same as if he would have had a girlfriend / partner at his side.

It even may not have happened at all his very sad ending to life. If he'd have found the love of his life, like I say Donal did in the early 80's?
Jay Jay

Postby Annie Elliott » 12 Aug 2015, 20:16

RobertaSparrow wrote:
Yes, I've seen those posts as well. I take them with a definite grain of salt. Especially some of the photos, Rory has a sort of deer in the headlights look on some of them.

I think if Rory was in a committed relationship, a real love that he could lean upon, he would not have kept it secret.

He was a stunningly handsome man, and a beautiful soul. A lot of his fans likely had their own little fantasies and dreams about him, and I don't really think Rory would mind that much.

And there are those who need their fantasies. Take them away from some of the more insecure ones, and you risk becoming the focus of their anger. ;)

I think Rory was one of those men who, if they were truly in love, would be very open and up front about it, that is, if it was real love that they could trust, lean on for life.

BTW welcome back Olav :mrgreen:

Welcome back Olav! I've enjoyed your posts in the past. Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts. And thanks to JayJay for starting this interesting thread. Of course it's something everyone thinks about.

I'm sure Rory dated lots of women, in fact there are five or six who credibly did. I love hearing from people who knew him, men, women, friendships, dates or otherwise. I been round and round with this and I've decided maybe Rory just wasn't a particularly monogamous person. Nothing wrong with that.
Last edited by Annie Elliott on 14 Dec 2015, 20:43, edited 4 times in total.
Annie Elliott

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Aug 2015, 23:01

RORY.. sort of tells me all the answers I need to know here about why he never got married ;)

Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Aug 2015, 23:14

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: No, Jay Jay, I don't think he lost his religion. But I think this one is closer to the truth of the matter, why he didn't marry, why he never found the one-

RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 13 Aug 2015, 08:43

RobertaSparrow wrote: No, Jay Jay, I don't think he lost his religion. But I think this one is closer to the truth of the matter, why he didn't marry, why he never found the one-

What a difference with Rory in the two videos within the 18 years. Not just in Rory's looks but in his attitude..
There's a sort of innocence and gentleness still in the "Ain't To Good" performance. Whereas in CHR there seems to me a bitterness and even anger..That Rory has not got a soulmate at all but because of a woman he lost his soul and religion to the devil.

I know Rory never lost his beliefs / religion.. Rory would never give away his pure blues musical soul to anyone ;)
Jay Jay

Postby RobertaSparrow » 13 Aug 2015, 09:31

Yes, that particular clip of Could've Had Religion is a good one, but hard for me to watch. There is too much sadness and hurt in Rory's eyes for me to watch it very often. He has pain there, and you can see it.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM