RORY ~ Could've Had Religion & Marriage

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

RORY ~ Could've Had Religion & Marriage

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Aug 2015, 08:08

I woke up this morning thinking about Rory and pondering on this question..

We know Rory had religion / beliefs. Being bought up by his mother Monica with a strict catholic upbringing.
So why did not Rory choose to get married throughout his life. I can understand early on in his career when he was touring relentlessly around the world. Yet in the last ten years of his life the touring halved. He would have had time to combine a wife and a family with his music. As Donal his brother / manager did having a loving wife and four lovely children.

Let's face it there were thousands of woman out there that would have wanted to marry this amicable bachelor..
Rory did date the ladies.. so why did he not "fall apart" for one of these?????

Was it that Rory did not want to betray his partner and faithful strat??

Rory Kiss Guitar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jay Jay

Re: RORY ~ Could've Had Religion & Marriage

Postby Jay Jay » 12 Aug 2015, 08:38

Btw, I said Rory was an "amicable bachelor"

Definition of amicable is.. friendly, good-natured, cordial, civil, courteous, polite, easy, easy-going, neighbourly, brotherly, fraternal, harmonious, cooperative, civilized

RORY was this and a whole lot more too :)
Jay Jay

Postby Annie Elliott » 12 Aug 2015, 10:28

Apparently there is a woman who claims to have been... Not sure what to think about that.
Annie Elliott

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Aug 2015, 13:35

Here's my considered opinion. I think he was in love in his younger days, with one he might have married but for . . . issues, I refer the curious to the quote by Rory in the Muise book. I think he took the idea of marriage being "as long as we both shall live" very literally, marriage to last "'til death do us part," very seriously, and that takes a lot of trust, faith, and openness, and that is a very high bar to meet.

I know, some will say he was married to his Strat, (or to his guitars), but I see those as an extension of who he was, an extension of his hands, his mind, a part of him. Music was something he had to have, like food and drink. The guitars were a part of him, any life partner would more than accept that, the art, and artistic expression was part of the man.

I believe he didn't marry because he never found the one that he felt was his life partner, that one person to whom he could fully devote himself to, that he could place that much trust, faith, and passion into. I think he just never met "the one" he was meant to be with for life, at least not in this life.

And, no, he was not married to the Strat. He couldn't have children with the Strat, the Strat could not take care of him when he was lonely or when he was ill, could not really comfort him or rally to his side when he needed a friend he could trust.

And this is pure speculation. As I have said before, aside from a possible ex-girlfriend, the only other person who might shed light on the subject is Donal, and he will take that secret to his grave if that is what his big brother Rory wanted.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Olav » 12 Aug 2015, 13:44

I've done a lot of investigations about so called Rory's "real girlfriends" who are now telling tales on FB or different forums. And the truth is - some of them were near only as a long time fans. They even have photoes with him - putting their hands on his shoulder. But Rory never did the same on this photoes.
But now these girls are posting this photoes as a "proof" of their close relationship.
What can I say? It hurts me so much when this kind of women want their claim to fame.
I think Rory didn't find the right one at the time he was not travelling so much. He was feeling himself not good. Maybe he didn't believe women for some reason. He was keeping his live private. We don't know what he was thinking.
Now he can't stop lies that some of the ladies are writing everywhere. Sometimes I think why they never looked at the mirror before writing their stories? Ugly girls with big fantacy.
He deserved a beautiful wife being such beautiful soul and handsome face.
Olav

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Aug 2015, 14:54

Olav wrote:I've done a lot of investigations about so called Rory's "real girlfriends" who are now telling tales on FB or different forums. And the truth is - some of them were near only as a long time fans. They even have photoes with him - putting their hands on his shoulder. But Rory never did the same on this photoes.
But now these girls are posting this photoes as a "proof" of their close relationship.
What can I say? It hurts me so much when this kind of women want their claim to fame.
I think Rory didn't find the right one at the time he was not travelling so much. He was feeling himself not good. Maybe he didn't believe women for some reason. He was keeping his live private. We don't know what he was thinking.
Now he can't stop lies that some of the ladies are writing everywhere. Sometimes I think why they never looked at the mirror before writing their stories? Ugly girls with big fantacy.
He deserved a beautiful wife being such beautiful soul and handsome face.

Hi Olav!

Haven't seen your posts in a while. Welcome back.

Yes, I've seen those posts as well. I take them with a definite grain of salt. Especially some of the photos, Rory has a sort of deer in the headlights look on some of them.

I think if Rory was in a committed relationship, a real love that he could lean upon, he would not have kept it secret.

He was a stunningly handsome man, and a beautiful soul. A lot of his fans likely had their own little fantasies and dreams about him, and I don't really think Rory would mind that much.

And there are those who need their fantasies. Take them away from some of the more insecure ones, and you risk becoming the focus of their anger. ;)

I think Rory was one of those men who, if they were truly in love, would be very open and up front about it, that is, if it was real love that they could trust, lean on for life.

BTW welcome back Olav :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

Postby capo » 12 Aug 2015, 15:13

As others stated before me, this is pure speculation on all our parts. Having said that, here's my take. People assume Rory wanted the convention lifestyle most people desired, wife, children, ect. Rory always struck me as very unconventional, he was a unique cat, and thought for himself. I think he liked being a loner, not tied down, free to pick up his guitar and go, without having to worry about other peoples needs. Maybe if he had lived longer he may have settled down, but I think he would have kept on with his chosen lifestyle, going his own way, alone. Anyway, there is no right answers. Peace.
capo

Postby CiaSeattle » 12 Aug 2015, 15:39

As a fairly new Rory fan, I've been reading as much as I can find about all things Rory. Just from what I've seen, I think that perhaps what Donal had said once regarding Rory just not knowing how to make a commitment may have been a big part of his lack of a long term relationship. Plus, although there were probably a ton of women who would have loved to love him, being the partner of a musician is not for everyone. I was married for 15 years to a touring musician (ironically a blues guitarist who plays a Strat). I was fortunate to find that I could handle the long separations, but I knew a lot of others who could not. Perhaps this is something Rory experienced in his early relationships which, doubled with his trust issues, made him afraid to commit. Just my opinion, I guess we'll never really know for sure. Another missing piece of the puzzle.

One of the things I find amazing about Rory is the tremendous amount of feeling, not just on a music level, but a personal one as well, that he brings out in us. As much as I love a lot of other musicians, I've never been as moved by their stories as I have with Rory. When I first found his music on youtube a couple of years ago, of course I started looking for more. Then I found the Ghost Blues documentary and was stunned to find that I felt grief over the death of someone I had never met. What an amazing man to touch people so deeply, people who never met him and many like myself who never experienced the joy of seeing him play live. He is definitely one in a million.
CiaSeattle

Postby photofinish » 12 Aug 2015, 16:51

Really..have never read so much drivel as what I see here sometimes...I know quite a few people..men and women..who were really close to Rory..whom I know he classed as friends...u know why u don't ever see them on this forum...because of the crap that is posted...that's why I rarely post on here now...
photofinish

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Aug 2015, 17:01

CiaSeattle wrote:As a fairly new Rory fan, I've been reading as much as I can find about all things Rory . . .

Hello CiaSeattle, welcome! :D
RobertaSparrow

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM