RORY GALLAGHER ~ THOUGHTS & MEMORIES "What's Going On" NOW?

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: What's Going On.. In Your.."RORY THOUGHTS"?? NOW!!

Postby JimLED » 11 Aug 2015, 22:49

Look how happy were the band! If I ever had a chance to move there in time travel and hear what they're talking about and to listen' acoustic guitars duels by Rory and Gerry! :)
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby Noelle » 12 Aug 2015, 00:47

That never really registered with me before, Capo, that Rory had absolutely no other job in his life - not even a summer job as far as I know. It's great that he was able to get by always on his music. I wonder are there many others about whom you could say that? I'd reckon not.
Noelle

Postby Lee61 » 12 Aug 2015, 01:05

Thanks Cynthia, we were there last year too but only had a week in Ireland and like you we ran out of time.
We have 2 weeks this time, Donegal and Northern Ireland included...plus 3 weeks in England and Scotland.
Last visit was when I discovered Rory, when IT74 was re~released and seeing his guitar in Temple Bar kind of
piqued my interest.
Last edited by Lee61 on 14 Aug 2015, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
Lee61

Postby RobertaSparrow » 12 Aug 2015, 01:51

JimLED wrote:Image

Look how happy were the band! If I ever had a chance to move there in time travel and hear what they're talking about and to listen' acoustic guitars duels by Rory and Gerry! :)

Love that picture. I wonder where and when that was. Rory's playing an acoustic, but it isn't the Martin, obviously not the National Steel either. And, yes, they look so happy! From the look of the table, they've been relaxing there for a while.
RobertaSparrow

Postby photofinish » 12 Aug 2015, 10:05

RobertaSparrow wrote:
JimLED wrote:Image

Love that picture. I wonder where and when that was. Rory's playing an acoustic, but it isn't the Martin, obviously not the National Steel either. And, yes, they look so happy! From the look of the table, they've been relaxing there for a while.

That was taken in June 1981 in Germany. .whilst recording Jinx
photofinish

Postby capo » 23 Aug 2015, 16:08

As much as I love at times Lou Martins contributions to Rory's sound, in particular "Irish Tour '74", I always thought Rory was at his best as a live performer as a trio. He could fill the sound and space with his playing as no other. I liked the final years where Mark Feltham would come on for a few songs, then leave the stage again, with Rory again as a trio. I think, all things considered, the Ted McKenna era is my favorite period.
capo

Postby Jay Jay » 24 Aug 2015, 11:37

capo wrote:As much as I love at times Lou Martins contributions to Rory's sound, in particular "Irish Tour '74", I always thought Rory was at his best as a live performer as a trio. He could fill the sound and space with his playing as no other. I liked the final years where Mark Feltham would come on for a few songs, then leave the stage again, with Rory again as a trio. I think, all things considered, the Ted McKenna era is my favorite period.

I tend to agree and have exactly the same thoughts on all that you say Capo.

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby heatison » 24 Aug 2015, 16:08

I am with you on this one Capo. Although there was no doubt that Lou was a fantastic keyboard player, I sometimes found that the keyboards took over.
heatison

Postby capo » 31 Aug 2015, 02:55

Did anyone else notice that in the new video clip of Taste at the IOW, Rory never opens his eyes once, when hes facing the huge crowd in front of him? The only time is when he turns to face his band mates. Could it be nerves at performing before such a vast audience, or is he just inside of himself, in the moment?
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 31 Aug 2015, 06:24

capo wrote:Did anyone else notice that in the new video clip of Taste at the IOW, Rory never opens his eyes once, when hes facing the huge crowd in front of him? The only time is when he turns to face his band mates. Could it be nerves at performing before such a vast audience, or is he just inside of himself, in the moment?

Perhaps a little of both. The times I saw him play, he made eye contact with most of us in the audience, but often it seemed he would close his eyes, and I think he was letting the music in his spirit take over completely at those times, when he was "in the zone." And, IOW was a massive crowd, he was so young there, 22? It would take nerves of steel at such a young age to do that, IMO. But he does, and wins the crowd over as only he could.

Also, it occurs to me that Rory loved to play guitar, and taught himself, but took his inspiration from others who went before him, and many of his favorites were vision impaired (Doc Watson, Blind boy Fuller, etc). I wonder if, when he was learning he didn't often play with his eyes somewhat closed, to cut off the distractions from the sense of sight, so he could be more focused on the senses in his hands and his hearing, to "feel" the guitar and the music it makes.
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM