More Taste Snippets

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

More Taste Snippets

Postby RobertaSparrow » 31 Jul 2015, 22:12

RobertaSparrow

Re: More Taste Snippets

Postby capo » 31 Jul 2015, 22:57

The fact that Rory would refuse, for the rest of his life, to perform any Taste songs again is one of the most puzzling facts of his career. After all, these were HIS songs, that he wrote, arranged and produced. No matter what the behind the scenes issues were with Eddie Kennedy , John Wilson and Richard McCracken, after he was legally and physically clear of them (Taste et. al.) why did he not reclaim them, they were his songs ? This was an obstinate stance that goes deeper then I can understand, particularly when you consider how much Rory cared for his fans and wanted to please them, and yet knowing how much they wanted to hear his old Taste songs performed again, he was unyielding. Something really deep was at work here.
capo

Postby RobertaSparrow » 01 Aug 2015, 17:00

I think it was a deep sense of betrayal, for a time Kennedy claimed ownership of them, and that must have hurt. Those songs were Rory's creations, just as much as all the other original songs he did with his subsequent band. That's just it, Taste was a band, but just as later, it was Rory's band, he was the one who wrote the songs. That must have been very painful for him, to have his creations taken away and divided up.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Aug 2015, 17:13

Just a note on this..

There is an interview on this subject.. I don't know if it's Rory or Donal that says that Rory wrote 90 something % of the Taste songs??..

Maybe if Rory felt that way.. if he didn't own / write the songs 100%.. that's the reason why he never played most of the Taste songs in his solo career??
Jay Jay

Postby capo » 01 Aug 2015, 18:22

That is a interesting take on the subject Jay Jay. That could explain some of Rory's reasoning. In regards to the above article, it is remarkable to me that Rory considered John Wilson to fill the drummer slot in his final band he was putting together. All these years we thought we knew all the ins and outs of Rory's life, yet everyday their seems to be new revelations.
capo

Postby SUBY1974 » 01 Aug 2015, 21:04

Thanks for the articles. It is great that with the release of The Isle of Wight DVD and this Taste box set, new fans will be made of Rory's music. Also with The One show earlier this year, it will help boost Rory's profile. I am so looking forward to the releases and I will buy the new mags. Subrata.x
SUBY1974

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Aug 2015, 04:09

Jay Jay wrote:Just a note on this..

There is an interview on this subject.. I don't know if it's Rory or Donal that says that Rory wrote 90 something % of the Taste songs??..

Maybe if Rory felt that way.. if he didn't own / write the songs 100%.. that's the reason why he never played most of the Taste songs in his solo career??

Well, putting it in perspective, at least IMO, you could say the same thing about a band such as The Beatles. I still love listening to most of their stuff. Ringo wrote a miniscule part of their catalog, and George you could say maybe 9 or 10%. When I listen to The Beatles, the tunes that are unmistakeably The Beatles, I could interchange that by saying the music of Lennon-McCartney. If The Beatles had split up after, say their second or third album, and Ringo and George started their own band, with Paul and John reforming with a different drummer and lead, who's to say what would have been. But I think John and Paul at the top of their game would have still been a force to reckon with.

I think it is the same with Taste. And the best example would be Taste 1 v. Taste 2. Earlier Taste was pretty good, got the attention of Kennedy and a lot of Rory's earliest fan base. When they split, the other two and Rory became Taste, and the music that Rory had written went with him. Again IMO, the first incarnation of Taste had not had the chance to meld and mature into a final version, but I think they very well could have. Why? Because Rory was their shining star. Just as Lennon-McCartney was for The Beatles.
RobertaSparrow

Postby Johno123 » 02 Aug 2015, 08:13

What made Taste mk2 so good was they had three extremely good musicians. Yes, Rory was the song writer and the 'leader' of the band but Richard and John were at Rory's level musically.
I've forgotten which member of Taste mk1 but they said they weren't bitter about Rory getting rid of them as they didn't believe they were able to keep up with Rory's rising talent. John Wilson and Richard McCracken brought the best out in Rory, that's what made them great!
Johno123

Postby JimLED » 02 Aug 2015, 11:16

“He never performed Taste’s songs onstage again. Some nights you’d hear him break into the riff of one of them, and you could tell he’d be itching to play the whole song, and the audience would be dying to hear it, but he never did. I suppose he felt he’d lost ownership of that music.”
Read more at http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/rory-gallag ... fdVMqhH.99

Bonn, 1992.

Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby capo » 02 Aug 2015, 13:50

Ah Rory! You were such a tease. ;)
capo

Next

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM