What If Taste Never Broke Up? An Alternate Rory History

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

What If Taste Never Broke Up? An Alternate Rory History

Postby capo » 27 Jul 2015, 03:01

I've lost count now on how many times I've re-watched the new Taste IOF video. The band is so dynamic! It made me ponder, what if Taste did not break up when it soon did? What if it continued for years more? Would Rory still be here, alive and well, now? Think about it, the whole course of his life would have been altered drastically. All the experiences that would shape his destiny changed. No bad plane flights(among other anxieties) in the 80's that would cause his dependence on prescription drugs that would destroy his liver. No late career depression and despondence that would leave him so vulnerable. We would of course not have had his great solo career as we know it. Maybe no Tattoo'd Lady or Million Miles Away. No Shadow Play. None of his great memorable performances we witnessed over the years. Maybe some of us would never have got into his music if Taste had become just another huge band. But he would still be here, I think. Its really a useless exercise, I guess, to speculate like this. It just makes you wonder, what if? Anyway, we should be grateful we had him, and his music, and spirit, as long as we did. Peace.
capo

Re: What If Taste Never Broke Up? An Alternate Rory History

Postby heatison » 27 Jul 2015, 15:11

Don't even think that capo, I couldn't live without hearing Do You Read Me.
heatison

Postby Jay Jay » 27 Jul 2015, 15:27

heatison wrote:Don't even think that capo, I couldn't live without hearing Do You Read Me.

capo wrote:Anyway, we should be grateful we had him, and his music, and spirit, as long as we did. Peace.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby JimLED » 27 Jul 2015, 15:46

I couldn't live without hearing A Million Miles Away. And many many other.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby heatison » 27 Jul 2015, 16:34

What worries me most is that if things had turned out differently, would I have even seen Rory play live?
heatison

Postby RobertaSparrow » 27 Jul 2015, 16:55

heatison wrote:What worries me most is that if things had turned out differently, would I have even seen Rory play live?

Well, it's all supposition, but I think Rory was driven to perform and write music, so, far as that goes, yes I think we would have seen him, because he loved to play music before a live crowd. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby Jay Jay » 31 Jul 2015, 08:05

RobertaSparrow wrote:
heatison wrote:What worries me most is that if things had turned out differently, would I have even seen Rory play live?

Well, it's all supposition, but I think Rory was driven to perform and write music, so, far as that goes, yes I think we would have seen him, because he loved to play music before a live crowd. 8-)

It worried Rory for a short time playing live and he did lose that drive..
As Martin Carthy says in the Ghost Blues doc. A phone call Rory made to Martin about when Rory must have had a lapse in his health and touring schedule. It was a gig I think he says he was about to perform in Austria / Switzerland? Rory was worried if he had it in him and could do his usual great stuff on stage. Martin encourage him and said of course they'll love you. Your RORY GALLAGHER. After Rory made the performance Martin called him back and Rory replied with yes it went very well and you were right :)

I had a good conversation with Richard Newman (Rory's last drummer) and he told me how Rory was adored throughout Europe. Playing out to packed venues all of the time in his later years. Plus saying what an honor and pleasure it was to play with such a wonderful musician. :)
Jay Jay

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM