TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Release

Postby RobertaSparrow » 19 Aug 2015, 21:57

Well, with the technology as it stands now, and with all the available room on the media- Blu-ray or DVD, why can't both formats be on one disc- I have several movies that were done that way. No need for compromise there, IMHO. They can provide it in both ways in the same package.
RobertaSparrow

Re: TASTE - NEW ISLE Of WIGHT FOOTAGE

Postby SUBY1974 » 19 Aug 2015, 23:10

I am just grateful and over the moon the Isle if Wight DVD with Rory and Taste is coming out at all. If they released in another 45 years time, I may not have been alive to see it. I am just so happy and glad to be able to watch it. Also I am happy and glad I discovered Rory's music thanks to Susie. I am just totally grateful. Subrata x
SUBY1974

Postby no_noise_reduction » 20 Aug 2015, 13:37

SUBY1974 wrote:I am just grateful and over the moon the Isle if Wight DVD with Rory and Taste is coming out at all. If they released in another 45 years time, I may not have been alive to see it. I am just so happy and glad to be able to watch it. Also I am happy and glad I discovered Rory's music thanks to Susie. I am just totally grateful. Subrata x

So true. I did not mean to complain. I'm not complaining at all.
I've been "following" this project for more than 10 years and I'm just so glad it's being released now. And the sample clip looks incredible, no matter if it's 4:3 or 16:9. The aspect ratio is just a little flaw. Of course they could have put the 4:3 version on a Blu Ray, that should not have been a big issue with the capacity of the format. But I don't think they realized that some people might actually prefer a 4:3 version over a 16:9 version. It certainly can't be changed now.
Actually, Eagle Rock are still releasing material in 4:3 but as far as I can see that does only account for footage sourced from video tape (such as some of the Rolling Stones Vault stuff).
no_noise_reduction

Postby SUBY1974 » 20 Aug 2015, 19:20

no_noise_reduction wrote:
SUBY1974 wrote:I am just grateful and over the moon the Isle if Wight DVD with Rory and Taste is coming out at all. If they released in another 45 years time, I may not have been alive to see it. I am just so happy and glad to be able to watch it. Also I am happy and glad I discovered Rory's music thanks to Susie. I am just totally grateful. Subrata x

So true. I did not mean to complain. I'm not complaining at all.
I've been "following" this project for more than 10 years and I'm just so glad it's being released now. And the sample clip looks incredible, no matter if it's 4:3 or 16:9. The aspect ratio is just a little flaw. Of course they could have put the 4:3 version on a Blu Ray, that should not have been a big issue with the capacity of the format. But I don't think they realized that some people might actually prefer a 4:3 version over a 16:9 version. It certainly can't be changed now.
Actually, Eagle Rock are still releasing material in 4:3 but as far as I can see that does only account for footage sourced from video tape (such as some of the Rolling Stones Vault stuff).

Hi. I did not mean to imply that, but as we have waited a long time for DVD release, a good DVD footage is a must. Subrata. X
SUBY1974

Postby innuendo » 20 Aug 2015, 20:18

innuendo wrote:well it is somebody's fault. i'm not pointing any fingers but if they made a poll for example and asked fans would they prefer original 4:3 format or cropped and "modern" 16:9 i can guarantee you people would pick 4:3. so far that's the only shitty thing about this otherwise wonderful product. same thing happened when someone tried to be "modern" with rory's music and remixed his songs for big guns compilation, fans were very unsatisfied with that. i'm only saying everything should be released as it is originally recorded/filmed. just do a good remaster job like they did with 2012 remasters.

But I don't think that is how the industry works. This may sound drastic, but in the end it's not the die hard fans who count but the broad mass of consumers. It is their money which makes a release of the IOW film possible. The logic of the big labels is that most viewers do not feel comfortable watching 4:3 footage anymore. This may not be true for us who don't want to miss a detail of "what's going on" on stage. But the majority of people who buy the release will probably not even be aware that they are not getting the original aspect ratio. And Eagle Rock are certainly aware of this fact.
It's a different thing with video tape recordings because they begin too look blurry when you scale them up (which you have to if you want to transfer 4:3 to 16:9). 16mm film is becoming grainy, but as we have seen in the sample clip on youtube this is not too much of a problem with the IOW footage.
As I said, it's about what the industry deems right. They might be wrong as many tv stations have been when they wiped their Beatles and Hendrix (and Rory) footage in the 1970s because it was black and white and they were thinking that in the time of colour tv nobody would watch b/w footage anymore. They were terribly wrong.
Well. Maybe we will get a 4:3 version on the Blu Ray. I doubt it. But as you said, it might be the only issue about this otherwise great product.

i totally understand what you're saying. and i know eagle rock is releasing some stuff in 4:3 format but i guess only footage that's shot on video (like perfect strangers deep purple dvd) and thank god iow is shot on film so i hope properly remastered it will look splendid on blu ray.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Re: TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Release

Postby Jay Jay » 01 Sep 2015, 10:18

The World Premiere showing of TASTE Live @ The Isle Of Wight In London

http://www.docnrollfestival.com/films/t ... ival-1970/

Rock On for Rory
Slainte, Jay Jay
Jay Jay

Postby signals » 01 Sep 2015, 15:59

The DVD and Blu Ray will both feature as a bonus the concert only footage in the native 4:3 format
signals

Postby no_noise_reduction » 01 Sep 2015, 21:23

signals wrote:The DVD and Blu Ray will both feature as a bonus the concert only footage in the native 4:3 format

Where do you have that from? That would be amazing.
no_noise_reduction

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Sep 2015, 09:09

I have the BluRay and surround sound all ready, just waiting for the disc to arrive. 8-)
RobertaSparrow

Postby RobertaSparrow » 02 Sep 2015, 13:45

signals wrote:The DVD and Blu Ray will both feature as a bonus the concert only footage in the native 4:3 format

Where do you have that from? That would be amazing.

A highly placed source :mrgreen:
RobertaSparrow

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM