TASTE - LIVE @ ISLE Of WIGHT Film Premiere & Reviews

Rory Gallagher's No.1 Page for Discussion.. Topics Rory Related with Respect Always

Re: TASTE - NEW ISLE Of WIGHT FOOTAGE

Postby JimLED » 26 Jul 2015, 09:51

How many of you noticed that part of cameras in the What's Going On clip are scaled from 4:3 up to 16:9?
The original Sinnerboy and Gambling Blues videos are shooted in 4:3.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby RobertaSparrow » 26 Jul 2015, 12:20

AnnaMaria wrote:Yes Roberta, I know she´s all over Youtube and I´ve seen her too. That doesn´t mean it´s right or that she enjoys it. A lot of people do stupid things under alcohol or drugs.

Just imagine Rory doing the same thing watching Dylan or Muddy. :shock:

Just telling you what I feel and I hope it´s ok. Peace.

I don't disagree. I do think she should be the poster illustration of the saying, "it's like closing the stable door after the horse has already gotten out."

Or, "Too little, too late,"
RobertaSparrow

Re: TASTE - NEW ISLE OF WIGHT FOOTAGE

Postby willie the pimp » 28 Jul 2015, 10:55

capo wrote:Does anybody else remember the "legend" about all of Taste's equipment being stolen right before the IOF show and they had to perform on borrowed instruments at the last minute? I recall reading that in several articles long ago, but, as can plainly be seen, untrue. Also, can someone tell me if those tall, thin speakers with the red word "Wem" on their face that surround the band are Taste's monitor system? Rory has his single Vox sitting on two folding chairs, and Charlie has his Orange stack I believe , but what are those "Wem"s?

WEM was Watkins Electric Music, a British PA manufacturer (http://www.wemwatkins.co.uk/) more famous in the 60s and 70s. The WEM columns on stage appear to be providing onstage sidefill so the band can hear themselves.
willie the pimp

Postby JimLED » 28 Jul 2015, 12:05

http://www.wemwatkins.co.uk/history.htm
There's a couple words about a cabs at Isle of Wight fest.
Every gun makes its own tune.. Image
After a meal there's nothing like a good cigar.
JimLED

Postby capo » 28 Jul 2015, 16:12

Thanks Willie The Pimp and JimLed. That answers my questions fully. I thought thats what they were for but was'nt sure. Peace.
capo

Postby no_noise_reduction » 03 Aug 2015, 09:21

JimLED wrote:How many of you noticed that part of cameras in the What's Going On clip are scaled from 4:3 up to 16:9?
The original Sinnerboy and Gambling Blues videos are shooted in 4:3.

You are absolutely right. I almost expected this to happen as it did with the Irish Tour DVD re-release. I am pretty sure it's mostly about marketing. It would be nice to have the original 4:3 aspect ratio film as an extra on the disc. I don't think it will happen, though. It's a pity, because we are apparently losing up to 30% of the image.

This said, I am totally glad the IOW film comes out finally and I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT :-)
no_noise_reduction

Postby innuendo » 19 Aug 2015, 15:51

excellent news about this concert finally coming out! i hate when they put original 4:3 in 16:9. that's what they did with queen videos dvds and fans were outraged.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby no_noise_reduction » 19 Aug 2015, 16:59

innuendo wrote:excellent news about this concert finally coming out! i hate when they put original 4:3 in 16:9. that's what they did with queen videos dvds and fans were outraged.

I don't think it is anybodies fault. Apparently 16:9 is what the market demands, or so they (the industry) believe. Maybe that is why we hardly see any black and white releases (the Rolling Stones' "Charlie is my Darling" film being a rare exception) - they don't want to risk putting anything on the market that might seem outdated.

Let's be grateful we get to see the IOW film now. Maybe one day there will be another transfer/special edition with the 4:3 version included.
no_noise_reduction

Postby innuendo » 19 Aug 2015, 18:59

well it is somebody's fault. i'm not pointing any fingers but if they made a poll for example and asked fans would they prefer original 4:3 format or cropped and "modern" 16:9 i can guarantee you people would pick 4:3. so far that's the only shitty thing about this otherwise wonderful product. same thing happened when someone tried to be "modern" with rory's music and remixed his songs for big guns compilation, fans were very unsatisfied with that. i'm only saying everything should be released as it is originally recorded/filmed. just do a good remaster job like they did with 2012 remasters.
I watched as fear took the old men's gaze
Hopes of the young in troubled graves
'I see no day' I heard him say
So grey is the face of every mortal
innuendo

Postby no_noise_reduction » 19 Aug 2015, 19:51

innuendo wrote:well it is somebody's fault. i'm not pointing any fingers but if they made a poll for example and asked fans would they prefer original 4:3 format or cropped and "modern" 16:9 i can guarantee you people would pick 4:3. so far that's the only shitty thing about this otherwise wonderful product. same thing happened when someone tried to be "modern" with rory's music and remixed his songs for big guns compilation, fans were very unsatisfied with that. i'm only saying everything should be released as it is originally recorded/filmed. just do a good remaster job like they did with 2012 remasters.

But I don't think that is how the industry works. This may sound drastic, but in the end it's not the die hard fans who count but the broad mass of consumers. It is their money which makes a release of the IOW film possible. The logic of the big labels is that most viewers do not feel comfortable watching 4:3 footage anymore. This may not be true for us who don't want to miss a detail of "what's going on" on stage. But the majority of people who buy the release will probably not even be aware that they are not getting the original aspect ratio. And Eagle Rock are certainly aware of this fact.
It's a different thing with video tape recordings because they begin too look blurry when you scale them up (which you have to if you want to transfer 4:3 to 16:9). 16mm film is becoming grainy, but as we have seen in the sample clip on youtube this is not too much of a problem with the IOW footage.
As I said, it's about what the industry deems right. They might be wrong as many tv stations have been when they wiped their Beatles and Hendrix (and Rory) footage in the 1970s because it was black and white and they were thinking that in the time of colour tv nobody would watch b/w footage anymore. They were terribly wrong.
Well. Maybe we will get a 4:3 version on the Blu Ray. I doubt it. But as you said, it might be the only issue about this otherwise great product.
no_noise_reduction

PreviousNext

Return to RORY GALLAGHER'S ~ TASTE-FUL " LOOSE TALK " MAIN DISCUSSION FORUM